• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Guardians of the Galaxy 3 (2023)

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This post was all over the place. What a ride.
Yeah, it is. I think I have about 35 hours invested in Guardians of the Galaxy between 3 movies, a Christmas special, and 2 video games. A lot of zaniness to process on the way to work.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I enjoyed going to the see the movie with my daughter, she is not a big Marvel fan. But we both enjoyed it, we also watched it in 3D. 3D wasn't needed but it helped the experience.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My McDonalds happy meal toy for the kiddo was for Guardians of the Galaxy 3. This is almost a throwback to my days growing up when they'd have kids toys for Batman Returns which was by all means a weird and dark movie that also had some fun. James Gunn really didn't need to make it that dark, either. The Telltale version of the video game just had Lylla with Rocket and in that game and the comics they're soulmates. Guardians 3 is about people/animals/aliens being friends to each other and not about romance. Although the past couple of Marvel movies I've seen has erased romances which is seems very strange to me. Specifically with Guardians, maybe it works as a reset to make it more like the comics (i haven't read those) but when viewed from only seeing the Guardians movies its hard to care either way. Viewed purely within the movies, Gamora is one of the worst characters in every movie she is in imo and that includes Guardians 3.

I do wonder if I'm being too hard on the movie. Tonally I think its a bit strange when probably the best joke in the movie is Nathan Fillion making fun of his dumb co-worker and the movie makes a point in shaming Nebula (and the audience?) for thinking Drax is dumb. At the same time, though, that is pretty consistent with most comedies (King of the Hill, Big Bang Theory, etc) so maybe i should just enjoy the jokes.

It does seem like the movie is doing well.
I REALLY like how they handled Drax in this one. In previous movies, he was legit comic relief, but he never ADDED to the team. This movie acknowledged that, addressed that the rest of team knows it, and fixed it by making him a key contributor to the solution. That is good story telling.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I REALLY like how they handled Drax in this one. In previous movies, he was legit comic relief, but he never ADDED to the team. This movie acknowledged that, addressed that the rest of team knows it, and fixed it by making him a key contributor to the solution. That is good story telling.
This might be another area where the video game ruined me on movie Drax

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One question…

Why cast Cardellini as Lila? She already has a somewhat prominent role in the MCU, which may be getting bigger in the coming years. There are plenty of actresses who could have taken on that minor job. Why muddy the waters by having someone already in the fold do it?

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One question…

Why cast Cardellini as Lila? She already has a somewhat prominent role in the MCU, which may be getting bigger in the coming years. There are plenty of actresses who could have taken on that minor job. Why muddy the waters by having someone already in the fold do it?

Why not? And how does it muddy the waters? 99.9% of people who see this will have no idea who she is. 99.8% already have no idea who she plays already.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was pretty surprised at how much I liked this movie.

There were a couple of really great scenes that stood out.

James Gunn knows what he's doing but I really wish he wouldn't force his brother and girlfriend into all the shit he does. They're not that great and their roles in this movie were unnecessary.

Adam Warlock felt like he was shoehorned into this thing. You could have cut him out completely with some minor changes and he really added nothing. He didn't need to be the guy to save Quill at the end, should have been Gamora. Honestly I think there probably was a draft of this movie without Adam Warlock and with Gamora saving Quill at the end. It makes too much sense. Something tells me Marvel forced James Gunn to write in Adam Warlock.

Whatever. Still pretty good.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall I liked it. Dropping No Sleep Till Brooklynn and that hallway fight scene with the OG Guardians back together was epic.

Minor gripes about some of the plot threads. Got a little convoluted and they ended up just ignoring some things altogether. Some liberties were taken with various mechanics but all passable though.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still confused on how Gamora is alive and has no memory of Quill since Thano's killed her

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still confused on how Gamora is alive and has no memory of Quill since Thano's killed her
Different timeline Gamora. The Gamora that exists in the movies now never turned on Thanos. She never joined the GotG. She never fell in love with Quill.