• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Griffey

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought his speech was good tonight and got a little insight into who he is as a person. I watched this guy come into this organization and was the best player I've ever seen play live. He always seemed like an asshole though to the media so you really never got to know the guy.

When he talked about Buhner being the guy to raise his kids if something happened to him and his wife it got a little heavy, overall great speech from a great ball player.

love the 'trying to be stealth' middle finger from Jay.

Last edited by a moderator:

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's actually a pretty introverted guy. A lot of times, that comes off as being an asshole.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's actually a pretty introverted guy. A lot of times, that comes off as being an asshole.

True. Watching/listening to him tonight I got a much different feeling for the guy then I had as a player.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just got back from the game...

Bad game aside...pathetic offensive showing aside...

Wow, what an emotional and heart felt ceremony. When Griffey walked out on that field and the sold out crowd gave him a standing ovation...priceless. When his son appeared on the screen and brought Griffey to tears...priceless. When Griffey brought Buhner to tears! That was so priceless. Definitely ranks right up there with Marshawn's TD run against the Saints as one of the coolest moments I've ever witnessed live.

Just sucks that it had to end with such a terrible game.

Desert Glory

No not like the hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I grew up very much a Griffey and Mariners fan before we had the DBacks in AZ and even then, they were and always will be my second favorite. If it wasn't for him, an entire generation of baseball fans would have been a much smaller group and baseball will always owe him for that.

Luckily I grew up very close to the Mariners spring training facility here in Peoria, AZ so I got to see countless games before the seasons began. I also had lots of run ins with him and he was always really nice to me, but I was a kid wearing a Griffey jersey and Griffey shoes lol.

From what I was told by people I got to know, that had been going to spring training games forever, Griffy's attitude was definitely affected over the years by the media and fan pressure. I still remember when reporters were criticizing him for smiling during games because it was a sign that he didn't care. It was really a sign of how much he loved the game but either way he was a great player that will be in the MLB hall of fame very soon.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if I came from a different perspective from a lot of you or what, but I never thought Griffey was an asshole. I was only 8 when '95 was going on and I only remember glimpses of it. After that though, Jr was the man. Every game I went to, we (my mom and I) had to get there early to see him play catch and we had to stay (very) late to stand near the team's tunnel and wave as Randy in his Jeep, Jay in his Hummer, and finally Jr in his Mercedes would roll by, waving to the crowd.

His departure was touchy, sure, but I didn't know much better, and right now, I can't blame the guy for wanting to be closer to his family. I went to the first game the Reds came back to Safeco and Jr was welcomed back with a ridiculous standing ovation and roars from the crowd forever. He knew at that point what he meant to this city.

Listening to his speech tonight, Ken Griffey Jr is nothing but the absolute best person the game of baseball could hope to have as an ambassador, and nothing but the best person the Seattle Mariners could ever have as the face of its franchise. He recognizes where he came from. He is humbled by the fact that he's revered as he is in this town. He knows we're not in the best stretch as a franchise but also has good words of wisdom for guys who are the age he was when he was starting out.

He knows that we love him and he loves us back (even saying so more than once in his speech.) Ken Griffey Jr is a special person and we're lucky to have him as a Mariner.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was at the park last night, and it was unbelievable. He is Mariner baseball, he was a class act when he was here, (IMO) even when he left, I didn't blame him for the simple fact the Reds didn't get to see the true Griffey that sold out ever night and had no regards for his body on that concrete field in the Kingdom, or the fences he beat the crap out of or the fences that beat him...

I think the one thing not talked about was when he brought up Howie and Chuckie, now I wanted to boo the hell out of them, ( and before the event started the roof was open and there was a small plane flying around with a banner saying "Howard and Chuck need to be grandsalamied") But he mentioned them, and the fans didnt turn, I honestly think fans didnt want to ruin Grifs night..

And the best, Bone given him the finger, it was on the big screen and nobody missed that, that got an even louder ovation....

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being a fan of M's since '77, I have mixed feeling on Jr. I absolutely loved watching him play and he was the first superstar in M's history and the first guy for me that I would stop everything to watch his AB. I have always been an old school guy, but it never bothered me that he wore his hat backwards or smiled during games. That to me just showed a relaxed player and a relaxed player will play better than a tense player. He made the ugliest stadium on earth come alive and attract fans unlike today's M's where they bank on the stadium attracting fans and not the players. He deserved last nights honor.

With all that said, I still have issues with how he wanted out the first time. It was known that he didn't like Safeco because his power numbers would go down even though it was built for a LH power swing. It was mentioned that he was upset that the team never brought in the pitching needed to win and I understand that, but if that was the true problem all he had to do is go public with it and pressure the M's to do something about it. Leaving fixed his problem, but not the M's which we were stuck with for years to come...and still are. I didn't like the fact that he forced M's to re-sign him one more year after his return and after he had a storybook end to his career which resulted in struggles, allegations, and the oddest exits in sports history. I went to spring training during his return year and it always amazed me that he was treated as a baseball God by the fans yet he barely acknowledge them during camp. He, like Ichiro, would leave the fields in a cart leaving the other players to deal with the fans. That always irked me. I know he, and Ichiro, would have been there for hours signing if not, but if he/they would have just walked to the clubhouse like the others, smiled to the fans, and just said we have to go. I just expect the fan favorites to give a little attention back to those that make them so popular.

So for me Griffey was the greatest player to put on a M's uniform by far, but Edgar will always be my guy who best represents the Mariners. He never wanted to test free agency, he never asked to be traded, and he left in a professional way. He would also always smile and interact with the fans like he enjoyed it and understood what a privilege it was to be a pro who fans looked up to.

So I am happy Jr. got another day in the M's sun, management got a sellout for the first time in a decade, and the M's deserving fan base got something to actually cheer about outside of a Felix game. But something inside me still thinks this was a bit self-serving on the part of M's management leaving a bitter taste in my mouth over this.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all that said, I still have issues with how he wanted out the first time. It was known that he didn't like Safeco because his power numbers would go down even though it was built for a LH power swing..

Last night there was this woman sitting next to me at the park and just before Ken came out she tells me he left Seattle cause he had an affair.........

What ever the reason he left, folks have the right to feel the way they do about the guy, bottomline to me is simple, he was a leader and the world did revolve around him when he wore an M's uniform, cause he was a major reason this team had success and he brought the baseball game to a new level.....

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knowing what Griffey knows now...I would bet that if he could do it all over again he would have stayed in Seattle

btw was anyone else touched by the congrats video that Ichiro left for Griffey?

Video: Ichiro congratulates Griffey on Mariners HOF | MLB.com

I know there's been a lot of negativity towards Ichiro in the latter years of his career...with the way he handled himself and his lack of personality and media interaction...but not everyone is going to be a Felix...with the great friendly and approachable personality

I still view Ichiro as one of our most beloved Mariner...maybe not as beloved as Edgar, Griffey, Felix, Buhner...etc but the kind of impact that Ichiro had on the city while he was here...the only player that really matches that is Griffey

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Griffey is one of my favorite players I've ever seen play. I'm not an M's fan but I always liked him and Edgar Martinez.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I may take a lot of my M's frustration out on him for the reason I stated before, but there is no doubt he was great. I couldn't enjoy him as much as I liked in kind of the same way I can't enjoy Felix as much as I should. The biggest reason is because for me is as long as M's ownership/upper management has a franchise player like these two (and Ichiro) they don't need to put a real team out on the field. They use these guys as the draw while marching out there like some sort of circus attraction. Not the players fault, but it just kills me that we get a once a decade or two type player and they do nothing to make sure we do everything possible not to waste these rare opportunities. I always refer back to 2001 when we had no true superstar yet we had our best ever season. They had to be better because there was no one true attraction to bring in the crowds. When that didn't last, they went back to the Beltre/Sexson attraction and little else. The team improved in wins with these two, but never got them to the next level nor did either become the next superstar draw so on to the Ichiro circus.

Just rambling here, but superstars give weak ownership a cash cow with little motivation to win. In the end I can't blame JR. for leaving. I didn't like he only allowed them to go to one team limiting their trade options, but it ended out working for us. I still don't like the way he left the last time though. That was all on him.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knowing what Griffey knows now...I would bet that if he could do it all over again he would have stayed in Seattle

What ever his reason was, ( I should've said something to the lady at the game that said he left cause of an affair) I think your kinda right, I'm sure he does regret leaving....

I love Gar, Jay, Dan, The Unit, hell even little "Bobby Wolcott" but this guy he will always be my favorite player, we got to watch him grow into a player and adult, alot of cities in todays sports don't get that option anymore, ( thank you free agency).....

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got so much Griffey stuff and his dads stuff that my dad collected back in the day. Someday I'm making a huge collage of it all and it will be in my living room.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#ThanksJr!!!!

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being a fan of M's since '77, I have mixed feeling on Jr. I absolutely loved watching him play and he was the first superstar in M's history and the first guy for me that I would stop everything to watch his AB. I have always been an old school guy, but it never bothered me that he wore his hat backwards or smiled during games. That to me just showed a relaxed player and a relaxed player will play better than a tense player. He made the ugliest stadium on earth come alive and attract fans unlike today's M's where they bank on the stadium attracting fans and not the players. He deserved last nights honor.

With all that said, I still have issues with how he wanted out the first time. It was known that he didn't like Safeco because his power numbers would go down even though it was built for a LH power swing. It was mentioned that he was upset that the team never brought in the pitching needed to win and I understand that, but if that was the true problem all he had to do is go public with it and pressure the M's to do something about it. Leaving fixed his problem, but not the M's which we were stuck with for years to come...and still are. I didn't like the fact that he forced M's to re-sign him one more year after his return and after he had a storybook end to his career which resulted in struggles, allegations, and the oddest exits in sports history. I went to spring training during his return year and it always amazed me that he was treated as a baseball God by the fans yet he barely acknowledge them during camp. He, like Ichiro, would leave the fields in a cart leaving the other players to deal with the fans. That always irked me. I know he, and Ichiro, would have been there for hours signing if not, but if he/they would have just walked to the clubhouse like the others, smiled to the fans, and just said we have to go. I just expect the fan favorites to give a little attention back to those that make them so popular.

So for me Griffey was the greatest player to put on a M's uniform by far, but Edgar will always be my guy who best represents the Mariners. He never wanted to test free agency, he never asked to be traded, and he left in a professional way. He would also always smile and interact with the fans like he enjoyed it and understood what a privilege it was to be a pro who fans looked up to.

So I am happy Jr. got another day in the M's sun, management got a sellout for the first time in a decade, and the M's deserving fan base got something to actually cheer about outside of a Felix game. But something inside me still thinks this was a bit self-serving on the part of M's management leaving a bitter taste in my mouth over this.

Can't agree with that statement at all Zona, it was well known his frustration of the front office not ever appearing that they cared about winning.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

btw was anyone else touched by the congrats video that Ichiro left for Griffey?

Video: Ichiro congratulates Griffey on Mariners HOF | MLB.com

I know there's been a lot of negativity towards Ichiro in the latter years of his career...with the way he handled himself and his lack of personality and media interaction...but not everyone is going to be a Felix...with the great friendly and approachable personality

I still view Ichiro as one of our most beloved Mariner...maybe not as beloved as Edgar, Griffey, Felix, Buhner...etc but the kind of impact that Ichiro had on the city while he was here...the only player that really matches that is Griffey

Knowing what Howard and Chuck know now I'm sure they would handle the Randy deal better and the A-Rod/Griffey deal alot better as well.

Was I the only that found it weird that there were more english words in Ichiro's 30 clip to Jr than in his entire Mariners career?

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still got his 89' Upper Deck, mint, in a case. Haha, I was big shit for scoring that back in elementary school.

Hated to see him leave for Cincinnati, especially right after Safeco was built. Just seemed like a Seattle Mariner for life kind of guy.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And when you get your own damn candy bar, you know big things are ahead.