• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Greg Lake...lost soul or what?

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Under rated bass player or just not in the right band?

I saw him with ELP in '74 and I still wonder why every band he was in was just another step in his path...he had such promise but never seemed to make it to the apex of what he wanted. His lyrics and music seemed to outpace those he joined with. What say you?

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know @yoga≈surfing it just seems to me every band he was in ended up in flames. I read an article about him during his time in ELP and I just wondered how much of ELP and King Crimson for that matter was really due to his lyrics. I don't know how much musical influence he really had but some of his lyrics well...

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know @yoga≈surfing it just seems to me every band he was in ended up in flames. I read an article about him during his time in ELP and I just wondered how much of ELP and King Crimson for that matter was really due to his lyrics. I don't know how much musical influence he really had but some of his lyrics well...

The King Crimson thing was maybe due to Peter Sinfield and their differences/disagreements on the band's direction........as far as ELP goes, I heard and read Keith Emerson wasn't the easiest or friendliest dude to work with. Funny thing is, both of those bands sure were very creative and original during his time with them.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The King Crimson thing was maybe due to Peter Sinfield and their differences/disagreements on the band's direction........as far as ELP goes, I heard and read Keith Emerson wasn't the easiest or friendliest dude to work with. Funny thing is, both of those bands sure were very creative and original during his time with them.
I read the same thing. I understand Lake wanted more public exposure, ie pop sound, but Keith wanted to stay more in the progressive rock genre (whatever that really means). It's too bad they couldn't come to an understanding though. I still wonder if Greg regrets leaving ELP.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this may be sacrilegious but I always considered Greg to be the premeire bass player of the early 70s. I know Jack Bruce and Felix Pappalarid were good but to me Greg Lake is the most over looked bass player of all time.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this may be sacrilegious but I always considered Greg to be the premeire bass player of the early 70s. I know Jack Bruce and Felix Pappalarid were good but to me Greg Lake is the most over looked bass player of all time.

With the best bassists of that era he's arguably right at, or near the very top as far as I'm concerned.....

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, how do you think Greg could have been in a band like the Moody Blues as opposed to ELP? Hell, the more I think about it I think his best work was with King Crimson (outside of Brain Salad Surgery Karn Evil or Tarkus).

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost a Moody Blues...ever wonder how Greg would have done in that band? He was almost there in my opinion.

I don't know, KS.....it would sure be hard for me to imagine John Lodge playing with King Crimson or ELP instead of the MB's. He and his distinctive sound were tailor made for that band....imho

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, KS.....it would sure be hard for me to imagine John Lodge playing with King Crimson or ELP instead of the MB's. He and his distinctive sound were tailor made for that band....imho
No doubt. But couldn't you just imagine Greg with the Moody Blues. Hell, I saw them both in the early 70's and I was probably more amazed with Carl Palmer than anything. But I've always thought that Greg needed a band more like the Moody Blues than what ELP eventually became.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@yoga≈surfing maybe I'm wrong but I just somehow imagined Greg's lyrics fitting in more with the Moody Blues (especially after Threshold of Dream) than anything he really did after Tarkus. Maybe I am just crazy but looking back after almost 50 years I can almost see it.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@yoga≈surfing maybe I'm wrong but I just somehow imagined Greg's lyrics fitting in more with the Moody Blues (especially after Threshold of Dream) than anything he really did after Tarkus. Maybe I am just crazy but looking back after almost 50 years I can almost see it.

It's not too far fetched...I guess it could have worked....would have been interesting that's for sure.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not too far fetched...I guess it could have worked....would have been interesting that's for sure.
I'm not saying it would have worked, it's just my impression of seeing both ELP and MB in the 70s before they came apart. It was just a dream I had I guess. I know towards the end both bands were at the ends of their ropes and I've always wondered what would have happened if Greg had have hooked up with John and Justin...

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying it would have worked, it's just my impression of seeing both ELP and MB in the 70s before they came apart. It was just a dream I had I guess. I know towards the end both bands were at the ends of their ropes and I've always wondered what would have happened if Greg had have hooked up with John and Justin...

Not meaning to switch gears here, and it's sort of in the same vain, but I never cared for Patrick Moraz....and always thought Keith Emerson would have been better suited to play keyboards for Yes after Rick Wakeman's departure....
just sayin'

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not meaning to switch gears here, and it's sort of in the same vain, but I never cared for Patrick Moraz....and always thought Keith Emerson would have been better suited to play keyboards for Yes after Rick Wakeman's departure....
just sayin'
Never cared for Wakeman that much myself, in fact if it wasn't for Fragile I wouldn't give two shits about the group Yes...but that was one hell of an album.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never cared for Wakeman that much myself, in fact if it wasn't for Fragile I wouldn't give two shits about the group Yes...but that was one hell of an album.

Fragile, along with Time and a Word, the Yes album, and Close to the Edge was some of the best prog rock being done back then....and those 4 albums still hold strong today.

Last edited:

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@yoga≈surfing Yes was one those bands that either you liked or hated back when I was young. I know for me though I thought except for Fragile they weren't as good as other prog bands like ELP were.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@yoga≈surfing Yes was one those bands that either you liked or hated back when I was young. I know for me though I thought except for Fragile they weren't as good as other prog bands like ELP were.

We'll have to agree to disagree and leave it at that....and I've really gotta catch some Z's.
ttyl.