• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Greg Cosell: RGIII is a reclamation project at best

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just heard him. He says Hue knows this because it's not opinion, it's fact. The film proves that RG3 has "no concept of progressions" and with baggage he's admittedly carrying from Redskins, he's behind either Goff or Wentz and would probably even be kept away from a rookie so they don't learn bad traits.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just heard him. He says Hue knows this because it's not opinion, it's fact. The film proves that RG3 has "no concept of progressions" and with baggage he's admittedly carrying from Redskins, he's behind either Goff or Wentz and would probably even be kept away from a rookie so they don't learn bad traits.

If he's being kept away from a rookie, that would seem to indicate not taking one at #2.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had to read up to find out wtf Greg Cosell is first.

I would wager that rg3 is going to fail in CLE...that's not that risky...i.e. it's pretty easy to say he's going to bust. In fact, I think we would all be surprised if he succeeded.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had to read up to find out wtf Greg Cosell is first.

I would wager that rg3 is going to fail in CLE...that's not that risky...i.e. it's pretty easy to say he's going to bust. In fact, I think we would all be surprised if he succeeded.

Howard's kid? :noidea:

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He couldnt have landed in a worse situation

This team even lost Travis Benjamin

Is Josh Gordon expected back?

If not, this has to be the worse receiving corps in the league in eons

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Idt he had a whole lot more options as a starter once NYJ and DEN didn't offer him anything...probably could've had 4 or 5 jobs as a backup.

They cut Bowe which was a huge mistake to even sign him, Barnridge is quietly a top shelf TE, but it's bad when your #1 pass catching option is a TE.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Decision hasn't been made re: Gordon yet. League is dragging their heels, lol.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's amazing what a great rookie year he had and how all of a sudden he can't go through progressions... Maybe he bought so much time with his legs his rookie year he didn't have to go through progressions, who knows....

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barnridge is quietly a top shelf TE, but it's bad when your #1 pass catching option is a TE.

Unless its Kellen Winslow SR, Tony Gonzales, Jason Witten, Rob Gronkowski, Jimmy Graham and even then you got a tough season ahead as a QB

Just being a smart azz ATL96 :D

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's amazing what a great rookie year he had and how all of a sudden he can't go through progressions... Maybe he bought so much time with his legs his rookie year he didn't have to go through progressions, who knows....

I don't think that he was ever able to go through progressions. Same problem with Kaep. Heck most young QBs have the same problem, including our boy. The good QBs dedicate themselves to improving on this.

It is arguably the hardest part of being an NFL QB. Sticking to your progressions while the pressure is closing in.

I think that RG fell in love with himself a bit too much and felt that his athleticism would carry him through, as it always has. Pretty common problem for lots of players at the pro level. It's just more glaring a problem for QBs.

It remains to be seen whether he will ever adjust to the pro gram. But I think he could be a Michael Vick type player for a number of years. I don't think Vick ever learned to go through progressions.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why was he a high first round draft pick?

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah it is goofy.. He went through progressions as a rookie, threw both sides of the field, showed touch and accuracy. That rookie year he looked complete. Not like VY or Kaep where they had success with just athleticism, he looked good in the pocket and great out of it. Then now it's like everything is a full second behind, making throws late, reading pressure late, actually not even seeing pressure. Even when he takes off it seemed.. slow. Like he wasn't fully sure what he wanted to do and would get caught more often than not.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it is goofy.. He went through progressions as a rookie, threw both sides of the field, showed touch and accuracy. That rookie year he looked complete. Not like VY or Kaep where they had success with just athleticism, he looked good in the pocket and great out of it. Then now it's like everything is a full second behind, making throws late, reading pressure late, actually not even seeing pressure. Even when he takes off it seemed.. slow. Like he wasn't fully sure what he wanted to do and would get caught more often than not.

I think that it is a combination of things. First of all - the injuries after year one took their toll. He is still very fast but not to the extent that he was in his rookie year & that small amt can make a lot of difference in the NFL. Secondly - the league had a chance to plan for him & review his tendencies & he didn't have the skill set to counter any of this. He really needed to develop in traditional areas (pocket presence, reading the field, sliding, etc) & never really did in his 2nd & 3rd seasons.

I truly think that beyond some insiders nobody really knows how he will play moving forward. My guess is that he will struggle but perhaps he will surprise us. Hard to tell when by the time he plays his next meaningful game it will have been almost two years since he played in a real game. Confidence will obviously also be a major factor & that may be problematic in Cleveland. I wish him the best.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that it is a combination of things. First of all - the injuries after year one took their toll. He is still very fast but not to the extent that he was in his rookie year & that small amt can make a lot of difference in the NFL. Secondly - the league had a chance to plan for him & review his tendencies & he didn't have the skill set to counter any of this. He really needed to develop in traditional areas (pocket presence, reading the field, sliding, etc) & never really did in his 2nd & 3rd seasons.

I truly think that beyond some insiders nobody really knows how he will play moving forward. My guess is that he will struggle but perhaps he will surprise us. Hard to tell when by the time he plays his next meaningful game it will have been almost two years since he played in a real game. Confidence will obviously also be a major factor & that may be problematic in Cleveland. I wish him the best.

I'll buy some of that yes.. I also think he's just lost a lot of confidence. I remember him playing Philly and he was making pre-snap reads and getting that ball out quick to the right guy all over the field, running a legit NFL offense and playbook. And that loss in confidence or speed at which he'd make a play, plus as you say the loss in athletic ability for a QB who does rely on that quite a bit, I think has him where he is.

I hope he does surprise us, while I hated that he was in Washington, I loved watching him play his rookie year.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Griffin's rookie year just proves that Mike Shanahan should have a job in this league, not Griffin.

It doesn't cost Hue anything so what the hell.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Griffin's rookie year just proves that Mike Shanahan should have a job in this league, not Griffin.

It doesn't cost Hue anything so what the hell.

Not so sure about that. In terms of being a HC or HC/GM Shanahan always appears to do a good job with the running game but has issues elsewhere especially with the defense. In terms of just the offense that was primarily run by Kyle Shanahan & he has now had issues running offenses in DC, CLE & ATL. Sure you can blame some of that on those teams, their FO & their QBs. However - I don't see a lot of signs of him building a sustainable, effective offense pretty much anywhere - time will tell.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Very well stated. It will be interesting to see how RG3 responds to the challenge. I assume there is a burning fire

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3