• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Greatest DE of All Time

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always believe I look at things objectively, but if I am ever swayed it is to yester year for many reasons.
Less plays per game, rule changes & the list could go on, but even as a fan that might lean towards yesteryear, Reggie White was by far the most complete DE ever. Any of the the DE's considered for #1 all had great supporting casts so throw that out.

I remember when Reggie was supposed to have the (Official) sack record, Deacon said he had 177 (not 100% on the # he said but that is the # that I am remembering) Reggie simply said then I don't have the record until I break 177!(or whatever Deacon said it was) Said if Deacon Jones says the record is 177 than that is the record. of course he did pass that record.

but what I think some people are forgetting is the sacks is the flashy part for DE's, but what puts a DE in consideration for greatest ever is doing it "all" at a top level. Which includes the run.

So even though I have a soft spot for the yesteryear players, Reggie (In my mind) wins this conversation running away. I don't think he had a weak or soft spot in his game. Then include the longevity at which he could embarrass the best linemen in the game. it really isn't a question in my mind. Also trust me. I have no homerism for this guy. Didn't care for the Eagles or the Packers!

Mr Steeler

ReMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For all that I am a diehard Steelers fan it's The Deacon for me. Any of us who are old enough to have seen him playknow that he was an amazing player