• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Great example why Lebron will never reach Michael Jordan status

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were your words...

Whatever. Again you're the the one that took them seriously. And actually blame LeBron for that '04 loss. Just get back to your excuses on why he by himself lost the gold medal. That's much more entertaining.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are going to count Lebrons finals losses should we count jordan losing before the finals?

Yes Jordan got hammered in the paint and beatdown by the Pistons. Also got beat by the Celtics and Bird early in his career.

Those loses in the playoffs?

6-0 in the finals and never even faced an elimination game in the finals so please stop comparing.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does this even mean? You realize Lebron had years he didn't make the finals too. And even stacking the deck by hand picking his teammates -- he is still has lost more than he has won in the NBA finals.

Boom ^

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This one of the more ridiculous thread's out there. Glad I've stayed out of it to this point. Seems like neither side willing to budge, despite lots of good arguments for and against.

Lebron will never surpass Jordan for one simple fact: Legacy. From the minute Lebron (or Kobe, or anyone else to follow) took the court, it was always met with "well Jordan did this" or "Jordan was better" or "Jordan wouldn't have done that". From those lenses, you're always going to be looking up at a player instead of being able to realistically compare their games.

When Lebron lost his first NBA finals, it was already predetermined that he could never be as great as Jordan. Or if you go back further, the argument really started when Lebron refused to be in the Dunk contest. Lebron hasn't helped himself in a lot of instances like naming himself "The King" before he played a single NBA minute, but you can't argue his greatness. You just can't.

Jordan has nearly as flawless of a resume as you can have. There's no way he could ever mess that up, and that's why Lebron will never be as great. Legend only grows with time.

Oh and lastly, one thing no one has mentioned: Jordan and Lebron have COMPLETELY different games. They don't play the game similar at all.

If you're looking to actually compare the two based on their talents, you might have a closer argument than you would expect. If you're going to compare them based on careers and legacy, it will never be a close debate.

My 2 cents.

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever. Again you're the the one that took them seriously. And actually blame LeBron for that '04 loss. Just get back to your excuses on why he by himself lost the gold medal. That's much more entertaining.
Got it. So he didn't play a roll in that loss because he wasn't good enough to make a difference.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got it. So he didn't play a roll in that loss because he wasn't good enough to make a difference.

You started out by saying LeBron & Company lost in '04. Now you're saying he wasn't good enough to make a difference. Anyway I really don't care.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right. College kids did what the "mighty" Lebron and co. couldn't. If he was so NBA ready, he should have been dominating. He had already spent a year in the league.

It isn't about that.

International competition was nothing in '84 compared to what it was 20 years later.

Second, MJ was competing against other college kids for playing time. LeBron was competing against all NBA players. Big difference.

LeBron did not earn enough PT to make an impact because he was far from his prime. If Jordan had Magic, Bird, Kareem, etc, on the '84 Olympic team, he wouldn't have seen the court either.

If to you really think your comparison was valid, I can't help you.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He was 19 years old dude! Jordan wasn't good enough to be on the full national team at age 19 even when it was just college kids. LeBron made it when it was all pros.

You will not hear me argue LeBron is ahead of Jordan right now, but you really have to stop.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize that at 19, Kobe was not even starting for the Lakers. But, let's go ahead and criticize LeBron for playing a limited role in team USA, then blame him for the loss. Makes sense to me.

Reality is that it was a huge accomplishment and learning experience for LeBron just to be on the team at 19. Popovich didn't play LeBron for the same reason that Kobe didn't star right away for the Lakers. They were just kids.

How hyped up was Kobe compared to lebron?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How hyped up was Kobe compared to lebron?

Doesn't matter.

You are basically saying that the fact LeBron wasn't an impact player on the 2004 Olympic team at age 19 is a knock on his legacy.

Which would be equivalent to saying that if Ingram is anything less than a top 10 player this season he is a disappointment.

LeBron was 8 years shy of his prime years and already good enough to be on the Olympic team. I honestly don't know which is dumber: blaming him for their failures, or suggesting that playing a bit role diminishes his legacy.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't matter.

You are basically saying that the fact LeBron wasn't an impact player on the 2004 Olympic team at age 19 is a knock on his legacy.

And where did I say all of this? Or the equivalent of it?

Or are you jumping to conclusions?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought you guys all though lebron was the greatest athlete to ever walk this earth. I wonder why two of the greatest HOF coaches in basketball history didn't want to play lebron? :scratch:

You replied to @gordontrue with this comment. Gordon was replying to the guy who pinned the Olympic failure on LeBron while crediting Jordan with winning gold in '84.

While you didn't specifically say it, your timing in the conversation implies that you agree.

1984 was the last time that college kids won Olympic gold. International play had improved enough by the mid 80s that college kids couldn't get it done anymore. The 2004 loss was disappointing, but blaming that loss on LeBron is equivalent to blaming the Warriors '16 loss on Leandro Barbosa.

LeBron was not a key player in 2004. You guys who continue to bring this up are taking cheap shots for no apparent reason.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You replied to @gordontrue with this comment. Gordon was replying to the guy who pinned the Olympic failure on LeBron while crediting Jordan with winning gold in '84.

While you didn't specifically say it, your timing in the conversation implies that you agree.

1984 was the last time that college kids won Olympic gold. International play had improved enough by the mid 80s that college kids couldn't get it done anymore. The 2004 loss was disappointing, but blaming that loss on LeBron is equivalent to blaming the Warriors '16 loss on Leandro Barbosa.

LeBron was not a key player in 2004. You guys who continue to bring this up are taking cheap shots for no apparent reason.

"Implies". As in you just assumed. Gotcha :thumb:

Let's see what other words you can put in my mouth.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Implies". As in you just assumed. Gotcha :thumb:

Let's see what other words you can put in my mouth.

Well, when you post a counter to someone in the middle of a debate, it sure looks like you are taking sides. If you don't agree with the points made against LeBron then you should say so. Otherwise your position in this thread makes it look like you do. In other words, either state your opinion or stay out of the debate. Otherwise, people will make assumptions.