• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Great Country Songs

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually Southern Rock is actually considered Country now. By the way didn't you post a LeAnn Womack tune so you most like some new country.

Well, I consider Southern Rock to be Southern Rock. If Skynyrd, MTB, Allman Brothers, 38 Special, etc wanted to be Country, they had the talent to do so, but they put out my favorite form of rock instead.

And LeAnne Womack is very outspoken about Country music today. She was and is big buddies with Alan Jackson, George Strait and Jamey Johnson, you know, real Country singers.

I do like some new Country. Miranda Lambert, Kacey Musgraves, Jamey Johnson, Hank 3, Shooter Jennings, Kevin Fowler, Cross Canadian Ragweed, guys like that and I liked Eric Church's first two albums, but he lost me after Chief.

And I like a lot of early 90's Country.

Mark Chesnutt, Tracy Lawrence, Clint Black, Alan Jackson, George Strait, Lorrie Morgan, Pam Tillis, Patty Loveless, Joe Diffie, etc.

I like real country music regardless of era, but I don't like pop, and I damn sure don't like pop that calls itself country.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I consider Southern Rock to be Southern Rock. If Skynyrd, MTB, Allman Brothers, 38 Special, etc wanted to be Country, they had the talent to do so, but they put out my favorite form of rock instead.

And LeAnne Womack is very outspoken about Country music today. She was and is big buddies with Alan Jackson, George Strait and Jamey Johnson, you know, real Country singers.

I do like some new Country. Miranda Lambert, Kacey Musgraves, Jamey Johnson, Hank 3, Shooter Jennings, Kevin Fowler, Cross Canadian Ragweed, guys like that and I liked Eric Church's first two albums, but he lost me after Chief.

And I like a lot of early 90's Country.

Mark Chesnutt, Tracy Lawrence, Clint Black, Alan Jackson, George Strait, Lorrie Morgan, Pam Tillis, Patty Loveless, Joe Diffie, etc.

I like real country music regardless of era, but I don't like pop, and I damn sure don't like pop that calls itself country.

Kenny Chesney came out in the early 90's but you don't like him why? It's good you like some Texas Country music.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kenny Chesney came out in the early 90's but you don't like him why? It's good you like some Texas Country music.

Garth Brooks, Tim McGraw and Shania Twain were around in the early to mid 90's as well, but I don't like them either. They were the start of a new trend, and a trend that I didn't like then and has only gotten worse since.

I mean, every singer is gonna have a stupid song or two, Waylon had a couple that makes me wonder just how much cocaine he had used the day he recorded them(Big Mamou immediately comes to mind), but they had so many great songs that nobody remembers the bad ones. Kenny Chesney will go down in history as the guy that sang "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy" and he never made anything else in his career that will overcome that title.

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chewbaccer have you listened to much Vern Gosdin? If not check him out. I am probably preaching to the choir.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chewbaccer have you listened to much Vern Gosdin? If not check him out. I am probably preaching to the choir.

I'm a big fan of the Voice and I don't mean the tv show.

Chiseled in Stone is one of the greatest songs of all time. Do You Believe Me Now, If You're Gonna Do Me Wrong Do it Right, Way Down Deep and This Ain't My First Rodeo are my favorites by him.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep GJ had a big hit with that and some say it's the best country song ever recorded.

But I like this version better. Hank Wilson recorded 4 CDs of covers, and all of the songs are better than the originals, imho. My brother sent me Hank Wilson's Back and the Blue Ridge Rangers (J Fogerty) a few years ago for my birthday. Just about the best present I've ever gotten. Oh, Hank Wilson vol II is available, but it's not cheap. Hank Wilson=Leon Russell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJx1y5IXjMw

Last edited by a moderator:

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep GJ had a big hit with that and some say it's the best country song ever recorded.

But I like this version better. Hank Wilson recorded 4 CDs of covers, and all of the songs are better than the originals, imho. My brother sent me Hank Wilson's Back and the Blue Ridge Rangers (J Fogerty) a few years ago for my birthday. Just about the best present I've ever gotten. Oh, Hank Wilson vol II is available, but it's not cheap. Hank Wilson=Leon Russell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJx1y5IXjMw

Have always liked Leon. But prefer Georges version. Its all good.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roy O does a killer version of a great Don Gibson song

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I'm 23 and I don't particularly care for computer generated music.

And basically what you're saying is you've never listened to Country music if Kenny Chesney and Toby Keith are what turned you on to it. Waylon had more talent in the foot they had to remove than Kenny Chesney and Toby Keith have put together.

And prison time too..WTF cares,music today sounds so much better than it did back in the day:

You keep preaching your old ass ways,I`ll take my old ass and keep up with the better sounding versions.

ps...........Yes,I guess the wife had an influence too.and no,those two don`t.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garth Brooks, Tim McGraw and Shania Twain were around in the early to mid 90's as well, but I don't like them either. They were the start of a new trend, and a trend that I didn't like then and has only gotten worse since.

I mean, every singer is gonna have a stupid song or two, Waylon had a couple that makes me wonder just how much cocaine he had used the day he recorded them(Big Mamou immediately comes to mind), but they had so many great songs that nobody remembers the bad ones. Kenny Chesney will go down in history as the guy that sang "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy" and he never made anything else in his career that will overcome that title.

The Boys of Fall

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One popular site had this as the #1 country song of all time. Frankly that is hard to argue with.

I have several other versions of the song, but this one sticks out: