• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Great Article on Marcus Smith...

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on Dave. A first round pick doing absolutely nothing is not how good teams operate. He could have helped in some way, shape, or form. He did not. :bullshit:

I agree its not a good sign that he did not find a place on special teams.

But look it up. More often than not players drafted by playoff teams don't play a significant role in year one. The following article lays it out pretty well for 2014.

Grading the first round of 2014 NFL Draft (again) | NFL | Sporting News

Los Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree its not a good sign that he did not find a place on special teams.

But look it up. More often than not players drafted by playoff teams don't play a significant role in year one. The following article lays it out pretty well for 2014.

Grading the first round of 2014 NFL Draft (again) | NFL | Sporting News

While this may be true, it is still inexcusable to draft a project who contributes nothing in round one (unless we're talking QB of course). A guy like Dennard or Roby was an absolute no brainer especially with a HUGE need at CB. These articles almost make me sick. We should have had one of these two.

Cornerback Bradley Roby shines in rookie year with Broncos

Marvin Lewis on Darqueze Dennard: 'Best rookie corner I've seen' - CBSSports.com

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While this may be true, it is still inexcusable to draft a project who contributes nothing in round one (unless we're talking QB of course). A guy like Dennard or Roby was an absolute no brainer especially with a HUGE need at CB. These articles almost make me sick. We should have had one of these two.

Cornerback Bradley Roby shines in rookie year with Broncos

Marvin Lewis on Darqueze Dennard: 'Best rookie corner I've seen' - CBSSports.com

I agree these look like they would have been better picks.

However, Dennard only played 5% of the snaps. Jason Verret is a better example but he only played 20%. Roby was more productive playing 75% of the time.

So only 1 of the 3 late first round corners got much playing time. Pretty much in line with what I was saying. I like the way Chip put it. He thinks people have unrealistic expectations on first rounders and virtually ignore the rest of the personnel.

A good team puts effort into finding 90 quality players and having them compete to get better and make the team better. The better you are as a team, the fewer opening you have. The better you are at acquiring talent, the more likely you are to find a late round gem. For each one of these guys you find, some higher rated player doesn't make the squad. There are 37 players cut every year. 37 failures. Are you any less happy with Trent Cole, Cedric Thorton, Bennie Logan, Evan Mathis, Todd Herremans, Jason Kelce or Nick Foles because they were drafted later? As strange as it may sound, teams with alot of 1st round failures are often somewhat reflective of how good the team your team is and how good they are at finding 90 good prospects.

At the end of the day, I am just as happy with the Eagles if Travis Long becomes a stud as I am if Marcus Smith does. I was happy to see Trent Cole (a late round pick) continue his great career and was happy to see Brandon Graham (A first rounder) finally have a productive season. If the players who are playing are productive, I have no issue with stashing some high potential guys on the bench.

Los Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dennard is stuck behind a host of CBs and still he was used on special teams. If he was on our team I doubt he would have trouble finding playing time. Smith did nothing.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dennard is stuck behind a host of CBs and still he was used on special teams. If he was on our team I doubt he would have trouble finding playing time. Smith did nothing.

The Bengals use rookies on Special Teams because they are cheap.

Under Kelly, the Eagles invested a huge amount in signing veterans to specialize in Special Teams. Chris Maragos, James Casey, and Bryan Braman are all expensive veterans that were brought here to play almost exclusively on Special Teams. They all play over 80% of the Special Teams snaps.

When you make that investment in veteran Special Teamers, you are going to find fewer rookies out there. The Bengals throw some of those guys out there more as a matter of necessity than design.

Los Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gimme all you got Dave. It still doesn't change what Smith did for this Eagles team which was absolutely nothing. To get that from a first rounder is garbage. These types of players can be had later in the draft.

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least this year we will know for sure who to blame or applaud. It's all on Chip now.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gimme all you got Dave. It still doesn't change what Smith did for this Eagles team which was absolutely nothing. To get that from a first rounder is garbage. These types of players can be had later in the draft.

I am more interested in the team performance than one of the 53 players. The players in front of Smith played great, the team went 10-6 and was second in the NFL in Sacks. I would much rather have that than to see a rookie start 16 games and the team go 6-10. That is how bad teams operate. But their fans can feel better about the performance of their first round pick.

They had the luxury with that performance of leaving a high potential player on the bench and give him a year to develop. Talk to me in a year after we have seen what happens after a year in the system and Graham or Cole gone. And if Smith is still on the bench and Travis Long is a stud and the Eagles are still tops in Sacks, than I will say I still don't care. It really doesn't matter where they find their studs. Every team is going to have a number of failed picks. If your a good team you will have more than most. Its the number of successes that matter, not the number of failures.

Now should they have drafted a CB? In retrospect yes as that was/is the bigger need. But which one? Only one of the 3 CBs drafted in the 20s played very much, so the jury is still out on them as well. Its too easy in hindsight to say they should have gotten the player that ended up playing well for the team that drafted him. Who knows how Roby would have done in Philly though? Its a team game and its impossible to say that a player that plays well in one system with one set of teammates will perform on a different team.

Los Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am more interested in the team performance than one of the 53 players. The players in front of Smith played great, the team went 10-6 and was second in the NFL in Sacks. I would much rather have that than to see a rookie start 16 games and the team go 6-10. That is how bad teams operate. But their fans can feel better about the performance of their first round pick.

They had the luxury with that performance of leaving a high potential player on the bench and give him a year to develop. Talk to me in a year after we have seen what happens after a year in the system and Graham or Cole gone. And if Smith is still on the bench and Travis Long is a stud and the Eagles are still tops in Sacks, than I will say I still don't care. It really doesn't matter where they find their studs. Every team is going to have a number of failed picks. If your a good team you will have more than most. Its the number of successes that matter, not the number of failures.

Now should they have drafted a CB? In retrospect yes as that was/is the bigger need. But which one? Only one of the 3 CBs drafted in the 20s played very much, so the jury is still out on them as well. Its too easy in hindsight to say they should have gotten the player that ended up playing well for the team that drafted him. Who knows how Roby would have done in Philly though? Its a team game and its impossible to say that a player that plays well in one system with one set of teammates will perform on a different team.

More interested in the team performance? Where are you going with this? We are talking about the Eagles first round pick here not the 53 man roster. Many of us wanted Dennard or Roby. Let's not make this complicated like the Eagles did. Who knows how Roby would have done are you serious? The guy has plenty of speed and can tackle better than any CB we have. It's not hard to project how well his skills would have helped our team in some way shape or form. :lame::bullshit::rollseyes:

Los Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I highly doubt the Eagles wanted to keep Smith off the field all season long. That is not what they envisioned for their 1st round pick. He failed to prove he deserved to be on it. Quit trying to defend this pick. You can't. If he was this much of a project then he did not belong in the first round. Hopefully he turns into something but these types of players can be had later in the draft.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have agreed all along I would rather have had the CB. I am just not ready to write the guy off as a bad pick because he couldn't get on the field in front of Barwin, Cole and Graham. The pick was made with the fact in mind that Cole and Graham are both possibly gone this year and they needed a guy ready in 2015 to either start or be part of a rotation. We won't have a feel for whether its a bad pick until after this year.

A CB pick would have been the same deal. They would have been looking to replace Fletcher this year rather than last. Player performance on the field matters. At the time, I think they were much less confident in Graham and a little more confident in Fletcher. That was IMO the bad call part.

Birds4life81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's very disappointing that Marcus Smith didn't sniff the field this past year, but It's too soon for all this nonsense. If he shows up at TC in the same physical condition as last year and shows minimal improvement then it's time for concern. Let's give this kid some time before we label him a bust, or say we should've drafted someone else.

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's very disappointing that Marcus Smith didn't sniff the field this past year, but It's too soon for all this nonsense. If he shows up at TC in the same physical condition as last year and shows minimal improvement then it's time for concern. Let's give this kid some time before we label him a bust, or say we should've drafted someone else.
I agree 100%, i think the kid can play. Just like Josh Huff can play, just wait, that kids gonna light it up!

Birds4life81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree 100%, i think the kid can play. Just like Josh Huff can play, just wait, that kids gonna light it up!

Yeah, I like me some Josh Huff too. That kid is built like a tank and has big time YAC ability. He had some rookie mental collapses and had ball issues with fumbles and dropped passes. He was thinking too much out there. Once the game settles down for this kid, he has a chance to be a very nice player for us. No way Mac hits FA, we'll either franchise him or sigh him to a long term deal -- maybe both in that order lol. With Mac/Matthews/Huff we'll have a damn good Trio. Throw in a 3year Ertz and another year from Sproles, we have some damn good weapons. If we could get a pure speed guy in the 3rd/4th round that would makes us all that more dangerous.

I know I'm the only Taylor Hart supporter and that's fine. I had him as a 5th round pick, and that's where we got him. I think as he developed he'll be a SOLID player, nothing special, but will do all the dirty work and should be a nice rotational player. I know, I know….I'm all alone here haha.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Essentially, it seems like the Eagles liked Marcus Smith and Jordan Matthews in that spot, and ended up getting both. It seems like they could have reversed the order and taken Matthews and then Smith, and then all you naysayers would be happy.

Truth is that there are normally 6-12 can't miss players in any draft that can and should start for any team as a rookie and have a good chance at being a perrennial all pro type. After that, every player is a bit of a project and projection.

Los Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is still very young. I wouldn't say his body type is made for muscle but he has the frame to add quality weight. I've read that he's up to 265 lbs. and feeling good which is a great sign.

Los Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You agree about 99% cuz you wanted Roby :lol:.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lane Johnson was a fine pick. He's outperformed the other two OTs that were drafted before him - Eric Fisher and Luke Joeckel.

I have a hard time calling a RT a "fine pick" in a the top 5. Man you'd like to get more than that out of a top 5 pick.

Birds4life81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a hard time calling a RT a "fine pick" in a the top 5. Man you'd like to get more than that out of a top 5 pick.

Here's the top 10 of the 2013 draft class:

1. Eric Fisher
2. Luke Joeckel
3. Dion Jordan
4. Lane Johnson
5. Exekiel Ansah
6. Barkevious Mingo
7. Jonathan Cooper
8. Tavon Austin
9. Dee Milliner
10. Chance Warmack

Like I said, I'm fine with Lane Johnson lol. If Johnson takes that 3rd year leap like Fletcher Cox and Mychal Kendricks, we'll be sitting nice. Unless Lane Johnson starts developing horrible work ethic, he's just scratching the surface.