• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Grading out the Card roster.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington and Peterson are elite....

Washington is IMO. Peterson is boarder line elite, truthful I haven't gotten to see him play that often and watching him defend Crabtree left some doubt in my mind.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where in the hell this guy got Calais Campbell as elite is a total shock to me! I love the guy and think he still has untapped potential, but I have been waiting for two years now for h to show it! An elite defensive end should have 10 sacks by the fourth year of his career.

CakesW

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3-4 DE's don't get a lot of sacks Jonas... 3-4 OLB's do.... Campbell is a great player, he is very disruptive in the passing game, and he seals the edges on the run game very well.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3-4 DE's don't get a lot of sacks Jonas... 3-4 OLB's do.... Campbell is a great player, he is very disruptive in the passing game, and he seals the edges on the run game very well.

Still not elite. Yes it is more difficult to get sacks in a 3-4 defense, which is why Washington became a schematic nuisance, but not impossible. For a guy who can get his finger on a extra point attempt 1 out of every 3-4 games, he gets very minimal pressure on the quarterback. You watch film and all you see Is him missing a tackle around the quarterback or get pushed out of the play. Yes he makes lots of great plays but he also misses as many as he makes! I would agree with on him being a lanky run stopper but he does not have the speed to close the edge, thus the need for a 3-4 defense. Please don't tell me that you think Dan Williams is a great run stopper because he is a big body up the middle!

Last edited by a moderator:

arvi_mu

Cards fan for Life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dockett as below average is a surprise to me. I know he isn't the same stud he was a few years ago, but do we all believe he has deteriorated to below average? I certainly don't.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dockett as below average is a surprise to me. I know he isn't the same stud he was a few years ago, but do we all believe he has deteriorated to below average? I certainly don't.

I agree... I was a little surprised by that as well.

CakesW

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still not elite. Yes it is more difficult to get sacks in a 3-4 defense, which is why Washington became a schematic nuisance, but not impossible. For a guy who can get his finger on a extra point attempt 1 out of every 3-4 games, he gets very minimal pressure on the quarterback. You watch film and all you see Is him missing a tackle around the quarterback or get pushed out of the play. Yes he makes lots of great plays but he also misses as many as he makes! I would agree with on him being a lanky run stopper but he does not have the speed to close the edge, thus the need for a 3-4 defense. Please don't tell me that you think Dan Williams is a great run stopper because he is a big body up the middle!

As far as 3-4 DE's go....Campbell is a stud. Way more is asked of them than just rushing the passer, as a matter of fact, that is secondary... especially in what Ray Horton was doing. He contains as well as anybody in the NFL, and his height makes him dominant at batting down passes, which in my opinion, is almost as good as a sack.

No, I don't think Dan Williams is a great run stopper. I merely think he is an average (maybe) NT in the NFL right now. He did look better in the 2nd half of last year, but he is not what I had hoped for when we drafted him.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as 3-4 DE's go....Campbell is a stud. Way more is asked of them than just rushing the passer, as a matter of fact, that is secondary... especially in what Ray Horton was doing. He contains as well as anybody in the NFL, and his height makes him dominant at batting down passes, which in my opinion, is almost as good as a sack.

No, I don't think Dan Williams is a great run stopper. I merely think he is an average (maybe) NT in the NFL right now. He did look better in the 2nd half of last year, but he is not what I had hoped for when we drafted him.

Not sure CC is elite but the omission of PP and Daryl makes up, I guess. I really liked Dan Williams at Tennessee and am surprised at his avg play. I thought he was great value.

Zona needs to quit playing patchwork QB. It's a year in and year out waste of time Zona fans.

CakesW

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cardinals did the right thing this year in terms of QB. Next years crop of QB's is better than this years, and Carson Palmer is light years better than what they had behind center last year.

But, it doesn't matter... they needed to address the OL first... You get an OLine, You give a QB a fighting chance.. there was absolutely, positively NO WAY you could have developed a QB behind the OLine the Cardinals have trotted out the last few seasons... especially last year.

Sure, getting Russell Wilson in the 3rd is nice.. but Russell Wilson on the Cardinals in 2012... fails.. and fails miserably.

Baby steps... they got a huge need in Jonathan Cooper, and next years LT crop looks OUTSTANDING. I expect the Cards to have a top 10-15 pick in 2014, and they should be able to secure another much needed Anchor to the OLine.

THEN they can worry about a QB...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cardinals did the right thing this year in terms of QB. Next years crop of QB's is better than this years, and Carson Palmer is light years better than what they had behind center last year.

But, it doesn't matter... they needed to address the OL first... You get an OLine, You give a QB a fighting chance.. there was absolutely, positively NO WAY you could have developed a QB behind the OLine the Cardinals have trotted out the last few seasons... especially last year.

Sure, getting Russell Wilson in the 3rd is nice.. but Russell Wilson on the Cardinals in 2012... fails.. and fails miserably.

Baby steps... they got a huge need in Jonathan Cooper, and next years LT crop looks OUTSTANDING. I expect the Cards to have a top 10-15 pick in 2014, and they should be able to secure another much needed Anchor to the OLine.

THEN they can worry about a QB...

I agree with you that the Cards played it right this year. This year draft just didn't seem to have quality when it came to QBs and Carson looks like a very good bridge, until the Cards get there franchise QB. Fixing the OL was a must do and they have taken some nice steps in that direction.

Where I disagree with you is in regard to next years draft. If the Cards have a chance at drafting a high quality QB ( and I'm not sure that will be the case) they have got to take him. IMO the Seahawks really beat the odds finding a QB last year with a third round pick. It's not a gamble I would recommend as a regular way to find a franchise QB.

Now if it turns out that there isn't a QB they feel good about, then sure continue fixing the OL.