• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Good, fair article on TH

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
liked these points emphasized in the article...

In the discussion of arm strength and its limitations, we come to an important inflection point. Throwing arms aren’t strong or weak on a two-dimensional spectrum, but rather have to be divided into categories based on throw type. Some quarterbacks, like Baker Mayfield and Mason Rudolph, can launch deep moon shots, but struggle with velocity when throwing the ball on a line 15 to 20 yards downfield; other quarterbacks, like Heinicke, don’t have the distance on their arms to stretch the field, but can put some extra mustard on throws in the short areas of the field.

This is reflected in Heinicke’s numbers as a thrower. Washington seems hell-bent on making Heinicke work outside of the numbers, with a heavy reliance on intermediate, out-breaking routes, but Heinecke doesn’t really have the power to make those throws. Of the 24 quarterbacks who have attempted at least 50 passes outside of the numbers and farther than 10 yards downfield this season, only three—Sam Darnold, Trevor Lawrence, and Heinicke—have negative points earned on such passes, per Sports Info Solutions. No quarterback with at least 10 such attempts has a lower points earned per play than Heinicke does.

Instead of throws outside of the numbers, look at throws inside of the numbers, and Heinicke’s points earned per play jumps to 11th in the league. That’s where his zip, the aggressive play style, and quick release end up mattering more.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
liked these points emphasized in the article...

In the discussion of arm strength and its limitations, we come to an important inflection point. Throwing arms aren’t strong or weak on a two-dimensional spectrum, but rather have to be divided into categories based on throw type. Some quarterbacks, like Baker Mayfield and Mason Rudolph, can launch deep moon shots, but struggle with velocity when throwing the ball on a line 15 to 20 yards downfield; other quarterbacks, like Heinicke, don’t have the distance on their arms to stretch the field, but can put some extra mustard on throws in the short areas of the field.

This is reflected in Heinicke’s numbers as a thrower. Washington seems hell-bent on making Heinicke work outside of the numbers, with a heavy reliance on intermediate, out-breaking routes, but Heinecke doesn’t really have the power to make those throws. Of the 24 quarterbacks who have attempted at least 50 passes outside of the numbers and farther than 10 yards downfield this season, only three—Sam Darnold, Trevor Lawrence, and Heinicke—have negative points earned on such passes, per Sports Info Solutions. No quarterback with at least 10 such attempts has a lower points earned per play than Heinicke does.

Instead of throws outside of the numbers, look at throws inside of the numbers, and Heinicke’s points earned per play jumps to 11th in the league. That’s where his zip, the aggressive play style, and quick release end up mattering more.
QBing is several main parts.

1st and most important is being able to process information and react quickly. All the goof QBs do this.

2nd accuaracy - you have to be able to throw the ball where you want it to go. Doing it with the proper touch is important.

3rd - you have to be able to throw to all parts of the field to make defenses defend you. If as this writer suggests Heinicke doesn't throw well outside then you defend the middle of the field. He doesn't have to make a ton of throws there but enough that the opposing team knows they need to defend it.

In the past we have seen TH sort of lob a ball when it needs to be thrown harder. I think he can throw the ball harder, I think it is part of the learning process.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QBing is several main parts.

1st and most important is being able to process information and react quickly. All the goof QBs do this.

2nd accuaracy - you have to be able to throw the ball where you want it to go. Doing it with the proper touch is important.

3rd - you have to be able to throw to all parts of the field to make defenses defend you. If as this writer suggests Heinicke doesn't throw well outside then you defend the middle of the field. He doesn't have to make a ton of throws there but enough that the opposing team knows they need to defend it.

In the past we have seen TH sort of lob a ball when it needs to be thrown harder. I think he can throw the ball harder, I think it is part of the learning process.
I see good things from falco , I see not so good

I think he is a BU QB for sure but can he be an avg starter ? Or more ?

Is that good enough ? It wasn’t for KC and the ABC crowd and I believe it cost us 4 playoff appearances. Yeah I said it

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see good things from falco , I see not so good

I think he is a BU QB for sure but can he be an avg starter ? Or more ?

Is that good enough ? It wasn’t for KC and the ABC crowd and I believe it cost us 4 playoff appearances. Yeah I said it
I am not ready to say Heinicke is this or isn't that yet. I was a bit down on TH earlier in the year but damn if he isn't a gamer. If he continues to grow he is at least a bridge QB. I am not so sure I like any one QB coming out in the next draft enough to say "he has what it takes."

As for Cousin's he never stood a chance here with the FO or a lot of fans. Everyone wanted Griffin to be a star but he wasn't. Many didn't like the fact that Cousin's was better. I would have loved to see Cousin's play for Shanahan and clearly even a half assed owner would have made that trade and the WTF could have recouped a couple of those picks they gave away for Griffin. Being an asshole was more important to Snyder.

Here is one that will really get some tongues wagging. Before the Seattle game ... on here and on TV I kept hearing people say HOFer Russell Wilson. It is premature but I do not think far fetched. I believe Wilson has been the best of the 2012 class .... Cousin's is only a few thousand yards and about 60 TD passes behind him while playing 32 less games. I am not saying KC is a HOFer, I would say what I have always said .... he is better than average. His entire 7 year starting career he has been no less than a top 10 QB in the league. By QB rating he is currently 3rd in the NFL behind Murray and Rodgers. I heard a funny interview this past week on local sports radio. They had on a CBS guy who said "Cousin's isn't any good, he never leads his team to victories" and Grant Paulsen responded "I am not a Cousin's fan but he has brought them from behind 4 times and two other games he led them into position only to see someone fumble the game away or miss a FG." As I was listening to the CBS guy I said "I'll be damned they either have Sty or Skin'em on the radio." LMAO!!!

I will say this, Cousin's should thank Bruce, Scott and Dan for making him very rich by fucking up his entire contract season. I am a big fan of KC as everyone knows but I don't think I would want him eating up $45 of cap space. Kudo's to KCs agent. He played it well.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not ready to say Heinicke is this or isn't that yet. I was a bit down on TH earlier in the year but damn if he isn't a gamer. If he continues to grow he is at least a bridge QB. I am not so sure I like any one QB coming out in the next draft enough to say "he has what it takes."

As for Cousin's he never stood a chance here with the FO or a lot of fans. Everyone wanted Griffin to be a star but he wasn't. Many didn't like the fact that Cousin's was better. I would have loved to see Cousin's play for Shanahan and clearly even a half assed owner would have made that trade and the WTF could have recouped a couple of those picks they gave away for Griffin. Being an asshole was more important to Snyder.

Here is one that will really get some tongues wagging. Before the Seattle game ... on here and on TV I kept hearing people say HOFer Russell Wilson. It is premature but I do not think far fetched. I believe Wilson has been the best of the 2012 class .... Cousin's is only a few thousand yards and about 60 TD passes behind him while playing 32 less games. I am not saying KC is a HOFer, I would say what I have always said .... he is better than average. His entire 7 year starting career he has been no less than a top 10 QB in the league. By QB rating he is currently 3rd in the NFL behind Murray and Rodgers. I heard a funny interview this past week on local sports radio. They had on a CBS guy who said "Cousin's isn't any good, he never leads his team to victories" and Grant Paulsen responded "I am not a Cousin's fan but he has brought them from behind 4 times and two other games he led them into position only to see someone fumble the game away or miss a FG." As I was listening to the CBS guy I said "I'll be damned they either have Sty or Skin'em on the radio." LMAO!!!

I will say this, Cousin's should thank Bruce, Scott and Dan for making him very rich by fucking up his entire contract season. I am a big fan of KC as everyone knows but I don't think I would want him eating up $45 of cap space. Kudo's to KCs agent. He played it well.
The thing is everything KC does wrong is outrageously bashed while. Everything he does well is dismissed or downplayed

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is everything KC does wrong is outrageously bashed while. Everything he does well is dismissed or downplayed
I think this is true for the most part.

thing is, even supporters admit that the "clutch factor" is small with KC. He needs to advance in the Playoffs and WIN for that narrative to ever change.

IIRC wasn't Alex Smith (before KC) labeled the somewhat in the same way? Capt Checkdown.. would get you to the playoffs but no further? might be wrong here but I feel like that was the narrative coming out of the 49ers and Chiefs until things changed

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say this, Cousin's should thank Bruce, Scott and Dan for making him very rich by fucking up his entire contract season. I am a big fan of KC as everyone knows but I don't think I would want him eating up $45 of cap space.
I know I don't.

he was worth every penny in my book until we blew negotiations with him

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grant Paulsen responded "I am not a Cousin's fan but he has brought them from behind 4 times and two other games he led them into position only to see someone fumble the game away or miss a FG." As I was listening to the CBS guy I said "I'll be damned they either have Sty or Skin'em on the radio." LMAO!!!
:pound:

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Certainly the WFT fucked up the KC negotiations, and his agent handled it extremely well, and KC betting on himself was a high risk move that paid off very handsomely for him, and kudos to him and his generally good qb play in minny.

Also certainly the WFT hasnt had good qb play since they let KC go, and now KC isnt that far behind - stat wise at least - commonly accepted awesome qb’s like Russel Wilson. Also kudos to KC.

TH is about the most exciting qb prospect that the WFT has had in the last x amount of years based solely on how goddamned fun he is to watch.

RG3 was equally fun to watch for that season until he got hurt.
I think that says a lot about why the WFT has basically been miserable to root for for the past two decades, because we’re basically all rooting for a too-short qb with a bad pedigree who we all know cant make all the throws somehow “figure it out” so that he rise to the level of “middle tier starter” who the team can “build around,” or “work with.”

What I wouldnt give to be able to go from Favre to Rodgers, or hell even Aikman to Romo to Prescott.