• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Golson readmitted , set to return Dec.13

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad to have him back in the fold. People make mistakes in life and I am all for giving a kid a second chance, it's the right thing to do.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he can play in the bowl game. Screw Rees time to think about the future.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't play or practice at the bowl site. Glad to have him back.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't play or practice at the bowl site. Glad to have him back.

I thought he could practice once the second semester starts (or the first ends). Depending on when our bowl game falls, he could technically practice at least a couple of times (but can't play in the bowl). I think even having him be on the sidelines even if not on the field, he should be dialed in to whats going on. Also, I think he owes the team a big apology for his off-field crap and how it hurt the program. Its a problem, but he's going to have to re-establish his leadership ability if we're to have a successful 2014.

One of the biggest problems I saw was that Rees, our starting QB, was not seen as much of a leader, from outside the team or even within, not even being a team captain. Listening to the guy give an interview, he's as boring as dry white toast, I can see why.

matthstl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just would like to see a QB that has wide open field run!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There were so many times that I would see Tommy and no body in front of him even I could have run for few yards. This O line did such a great job in protecting a QB that had no moblity can you imagine what Golson could have done with that amount of time and how often he could have just taking off instead of a pick or throwing the ball away.

We still need a solid number 2 QB next year. Running QB is susbect for injuries and I hope the number 2 understands that he at any point could be the starter.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn I wish he can play.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he could practice once the second semester starts (or the first ends). Depending on when our bowl game falls, he could technically practice at least a couple of times (but can't play in the bowl). I think even having him be on the sidelines even if not on the field, he should be dialed in to whats going on. Also, I think he owes the team a big apology for his off-field crap and how it hurt the program. Its a problem, but he's going to have to re-establish his leadership ability if we're to have a successful 2014.

One of the biggest problems I saw was that Rees, our starting QB, was not seen as much of a leader, from outside the team or even within, not even being a team captain. Listening to the guy give an interview, he's as boring as dry white toast, I can see why.

I agree, I thought once the school readmitted him he could practice or play. He was suspended by the school, not the NCAA. There are several instances each year where freshmen play in games before classes start, so it's not because the NCAA has a rule that you have to have started classes. Does anyone know the reason for this?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, I thought once the school readmitted him he could practice or play. He was suspended by the school, not the NCAA. There are several instances each year where freshmen play in games before classes start, so it's not because the NCAA has a rule that you have to have started classes. Does anyone know the reason for this?

He red shirted his freshman year , he played his second year, if he played this year wouldn't he be using a years worth of eligibility and be a senior next year and would need to be graduated and do the grad school thing to play that last year ( 2015 season)? I know he would be back on track but what are the odds he gets a 5th year with his problems with academics? So maybe not playing the bowl game gives him two full years to play instead of rolling the dice he'd get a 5th.

Last edited by a moderator:

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If I had to guess, its a liability thing. If he's practicing while he's not enrolled and gets hurt, that could be a big problem. Also, non-students shouldn't be allowed to practice with the team. He wasn't suspended, he was expelled and had to re-enroll. This is different than an early enrollee, who is actually enrolled in the school. Pretty much all freshman start in the summer session before the fall of their first year so they are already on campus and enrolled by the time summer workouts start. That's why I think he can practice once the semester is over. Keeping him out for practice and the bowl might well be part of the grand bargain to allow him back in the first place, but thats just speculation on my part.

Considering the locker room uproar to toss Rees aside for the bowl game, its best he not come back until spring. He's got to go above and beyond to earn everyone's trust and respect, IMO.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He red shirted his freshman year , he played his second year, if he played this year wouldn't he be using a years worth of eligibility and be a senior next year and would need to be graduated and do the grad school thing to play that last year ( 2015 season)? I know he would be back on track but what are the odds he gets a 5th year with his problems with academics? So maybe not playing the bowl game gives him two full years to play instead of rolling the dice he'd get a 5th.

He loses this year's eligibilty no matter what. Under ordinary conditions, you get 5 years to play 4 seasons. As you pointed out, he already redshirted. Therefore, whether he plays a down or not, he loses this year's eligibility. He doesn't get rewarded for being expelled with an extra year of eligibility.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He loses this year's eligibilty no matter what. Under ordinary conditions, you get 5 years to play 4 seasons. As you pointed out, he already redshirted. Therefore, whether he plays a down or not, he loses this year's eligibility. He doesn't get rewarded for being expelled with an extra year of eligibility.

So next year will be his senior season then? Since ND has the grad school thing how do you justify giving a kid a 5th year who had academic issues his freshman year and gets caught cheating his junior year ? I keep hearing ND fans saying hes gonna play two more.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So next year will be his senior season then? Since ND has the grad school thing how do you justify giving a kid a 5th year who had academic issues his freshman year and gets caught cheating his junior year ? I keep hearing ND fans saying hes gonna play two more.
:wtf2: No, he won't be a senior. Academically, he is only a junior, think this spring and next fall as his junior year. He didn't attend classes during his time off. He does have two more seasons of eligibilty and he likely won't finish his undergraduate studies before the fall 2015. In any event its the school's perogative to admit him to a graduate program if he qualifies, I'm fine with it if they are. Nobody really cares what SC fans think of the wisdom of that decision. Relax, I know you're worried about having to face him two more years but it will be okay.:nod:

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is a question that I asked on another site. I don't know if they are correct, but they stated that with his summer school classes, and since he is enrolled for this semester, he has the credits to be on track for graduation by the start of the 2015 season.

As to his eligibility after this year, he has two years left, whether he plays this year or not. You have 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility. As you pointed out, this is his third year. As far as the NCAA is concerned, he has two years left, as far an ND is concerned he has one year left to graduate before he gets that fifth year. Of course, Kelly may try to change that rule. As we know, Kelly isn't big on ND traditions, so I'm sure he will push for a 5th year whether he graduates or not.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had to guess, its a liability thing. If he's practicing while he's not enrolled and gets hurt, that could be a big problem. Also, non-students shouldn't be allowed to practice with the team. He wasn't suspended, he was expelled and had to re-enroll. This is different than an early enrollee, who is actually enrolled in the school. Pretty much all freshman start in the summer session before the fall of their first year so they are already on campus and enrolled by the time summer workouts start. That's why I think he can practice once the semester is over. Keeping him out for practice and the bowl might well be part of the grand bargain to allow him back in the first place, but thats just speculation on my part.

Considering the locker room uproar to toss Rees aside for the bowl game, its best he not come back until spring. He's got to go above and beyond to earn everyone's trust and respect, IMO.

I wasn't comparing him to an early enrollee, I was comparing him to a freshman who participates in summer practice before they are actually enrolled. As I know some do. I primarily want to see him get the practice reps that 10 additional practices would afford him. As well as getting to know the new players prior to the start of Spring practice. I wasn't aware of a locker room uproar regarding tossing Rees aside for the bowl game.

matthstl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets face it he would not play even if he could its Tommys last game and Kelly is going to play him its really that simple.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't aware of a locker room uproar regarding tossing Rees aside for the bowl game.

There isn't. I worded that poorly. I meant to say that I imagine there would be a bit of a locker room rebellion if Rees were cast aside to let Golson play in the bowl. The guys that toiled all season view the bowl as their reward (slight as it may be in light of the results) and if the coaches even tried to suit him up to start the bowl game, many would probably view that as a slap in the face to Rees and could cause the players to distrust the coaches.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a question that I asked on another site. I don't know if they are correct, but they stated that with his summer school classes, and since he is enrolled for this semester, he has the credits to be on track for graduation by the start of the 2015 season.

Based on what you're saying, I could be wrong, but without looking at it, I would have assumed that he would not be done by the fall of 2015 with his undergraduate credits. He was an EE in the spring of 2011. I would assume he took summer classes like all players do to lighten the load in the fall, how many hours he took I am not sure. He would have had the spring, summer fall and possibly the spring of 2013 to get more hours (again would depend on how loaded up he was). He was dismissed before the summer session this year so he would have lost the summer classes and this fall. That's quite a bit. I seem to recall Irish Illustrated talking about him not taking classes during his time off like most thought he would, and the reason being they probably want to avoid the 5th year problem.

I think we all agree he has two years of NCAA eligibility left. If the school would allow him to, he should be able to spread his hours out so he is a Dec. 2015 graduate. I know the school forces even their atheletes to move their studies along within 4 years, but the semester off might have bought him enough time to have two full academic seasons left.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could also see a problem. My thought wasn't to have Golson play, it was truly just to take some snaps in practice, and possibly give the opponent (whoever that will be) something else to prepare for. I'd like to see Rees go out with a big game, and see Hendrix get some plays in a bowl game. But having Golson in the locker room might smooth a transition heading into the spring.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There isn't. I worded that poorly. I meant to say that I imagine there would be a bit of a locker room rebellion if Rees were cast aside to let Golson play in the bowl. The guys that toiled all season view the bowl as their reward (slight as it may be in light of the results) and if the coaches even tried to suit him up to start the bowl game, many would probably view that as a slap in the face to Rees and could cause the players to distrust the coaches.

I agree with JJC here. It wouldn't look good to start Golson but the truth is this is a chance for golson to get ready for next year. A crap bowl means nothing. If it was a BCS bowl game then I would understand. I don't think Kelly will start golson but wouldn't shock me if he got some plays in.