• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Golson named Starter

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelly said it was a close race but Golson was the better QB in practice and he earned the starting spot. Kelly also mention that experience with the offense and was a QB that helped lead ND to a NC game.

I think most knew this would happen. Positive is Kelly mention that Zaire would be able to step in and take over if something happen to Golson. He thinks of both QB's as option 1A and 1B. Just that godson did win the spot.

Cant wait for the season.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, pretty safe to say we all figured it was Golson's job.

I can't wait for the season, only a few weeks away now.

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other items of note from today's presser:

- Ishaq has a good camp, starting SDE right now

- James O. right now is the starter at SAM over Turner

- Morgan will see a lot of time this year at MLB, he's "totally overwhelmed" but flies around the field

- Greer Martini in the 2 deep at Will LB...passed up Randolph

- Expect Shumate to be our nickel, coach likes him closer to the box. Max and Collinsworth expected to start at Safety.

- Trumbetti is listed the starter at WDE, FROSH is a monster. Will be the first FROSH DL to start in the opener since 1998.

- Riggs over Luke right now at the other CB

Also...Bonner, another Frosh, looks to be our backup Day. Originally recruited as an OLB.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a surprise.

Collinsworth better not be a starting safety. I loved the kid on special teams, but other than that he's a liability.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

- Morgan will see a lot of time this year at MLB, he's "totally overwhelmed" but flies around the field

- Expect Shumate to be our nickel, coach likes him closer to the box. Max and Collinsworth expected to start at Safety.

- Trumbetti is listed the starter at WDE, FROSH is a monster. Will be the first FROSH DL to start in the opener since 1998.

Also...Bonner, another Frosh, looks to be our backup Day. Originally recruited as an OLB.

Love that Trumbetti is starting. Kid is going to be a beast. Cant wait to watch him and J. Smith.

Heard Riggs has been a nice surprise. Coaches didn't expect him to jump right in.

Also don't forget Frosh TE is going to see a lot of time.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really surprised by any of this, Trumbetti being a starter included, I knew he would at least be in the 2 deep if not a starter.

aka50

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they didn't send him to a $200 a day QB camp in California last September and October just to make him the back up.

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a surprise.

Collinsworth better not be a starting safety. I loved the kid on special teams, but other than that he's a liability.

From what I've read he is the "QB" back there and really the one best grasping the position. What's worse is Farly looks to be first man in. Shumate will switch in and out with James O., Turner or Counsel depending on down and distance (nickel package).

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love that Trumbetti is starting. Kid is going to be a beast. Cant wait to watch him and J. Smith.

Heard Riggs has been a nice surprise. Coaches didn't expect him to jump right in.

Also don't forget Frosh TE is going to see a lot of time.

Yes, Luatua looks to be a really good in-line blocker. Feedback on him has been very positive. Must have worked really hard in the off-season. He'll see time at H-back and blocking TE.

Last edited by a moderator:

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm glad Trumbetti is looking good (we need it on the D line) but I have to say that I'm surprised he passed Okwara. I thought Okwara was going to be really good this year. This was a guy that should have been held out freshman year. I think he played as a 17 year old freshman.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whats crazy is how many teams didn't offer Trumbetti and him just getting a 3 star on rivals. I liked this pick up when we landed him. Kid looked like a beast. He should of been at least a 4 star and maybe a 5 star.

How is 5 star OL Nelson doing? Any word on him.

Hope Morgan starts by mid season.

Also fresh WRs not making much noise. Year away before we see them.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whats crazy is how many teams didn't offer Trumbetti and him just getting a 3 star on rivals. I liked this pick up when we landed him. Kid looked like a beast. He should of been at least a 4 star and maybe a 5 star.

Trumbetti was only a 3 star, but he had offers from Clemson, florida, Florida State, Michigan State, Stanford and a few others. clearly, he had a lot of talent. He could be the Tyler Eifert 3 star of this class.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Quentin Nelson might be in the two deep right now but I hope he gets a redshirt to preserve a year of eligibility and we maintain our depth. I think Morgan (judging by Kelly's comments) is just a freak athlete that likes to hit. He BELONGS on the field but may be just too inexperienced as far as scheme. The problem I foresee with this defense is that all the guys with football IQ's regarding schemes happen to be the worst athletes. Collinsworth, Schmidt, Farley. Swap these guys' knowledge with the ability of Redfield, Morgan, Trumbetti, Cage and this defense would be scary good. I envision Collonsworth or Farley getting abused any time they are in there unless it's an obvious running play. I wouldn't want to see either guy out there on 3rd and long.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad Trumbetti is looking good (we need it on the D line) but I have to say that I'm surprised he passed Okwara. I thought Okwara was going to be really good this year. This was a guy that should have been held out freshman year. I think he played as a 17 year old freshman.

Just to beat this to death, Okwara (a junior) just turned 19. He is the same age as many of our freshman, and will play his last game at ND as a 20 year old (barring injury). I really with this kid had another year to develop.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I've read he is the "QB" back there and really the one best grasping the position. What's worse is Farly looks to be first man in. Shumate will switch in and out with James O., Turner or Counsel depending on down and distance (nickel package).

I figured as much. That is worse.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets hope Zaire doesn't transfer. Kelly said he wasn't happy that he wasn't the starter. Kelly said he liked his comment because it shows he Is a fighter and wanted the spot. Maybe next year.

bbirish73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Malik should know he is one play away from being the starter or if Golson just plays like a bum. Also, watched the youtube video and am pretty sure I saw Collinsworth get burned badly. He sucks so bad. I rather his dad play back there.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,493.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
really looking forward to the irish season this year

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Malik should know he is one play away from being the starter or if Golson just plays like a bum. Also, watched the youtube video and am pretty sure I saw Collinsworth get burned badly. He sucks so bad. I rather his dad play back there.

I think he does. I've seen some post from his father online and seems like they understand, although prefer Malik to be the starter. He will get his chance, hopefully b/c we're blowing a team out and not by default...Golson is going to be legit this year. After EG leaves Zaire will have two years to own this team, assuming he isn't outperformed by an underclassman.

Collinsworth and Farley scare me as well. But per reports they are the two who can QB the defense. A shame imo that Shumate isn't there yet.

Last edited by a moderator: