• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Golden Knights - McStiff Extended

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting, he is the first player from the Expansion Draft to sign a long term deal with Vegas.

Golden Knights sign Brayden McNabb to 4-year extension

They have some notes from McPhee about what he thinks about McNabb - sound familiar? It should, that's what Dumbo envisioned when he traded for him. He was really up and down here and never became consistent. I'm still OK with the move, McNabb was a frustrating player here but was a good teammate and solid hitter. Hopefully he rounds out into that defender he was tabbed to be.

Reviewing the total deal involving all parts, this is what it turned out to be:

4/1/13
Robyn Regehr -----> LA
2014 + 2015 2nd round picks -----> Buffalo

3/5/14
McNabb
Jonathan Parker
2014 + 2015 2nd round picks ------> LA

Hudson Fasching
Nicolas Deslauriers -----> Buffalo

So the 2nd round picks cancel each other out (the ones sent back by Buffalo were the ones LA sent in the Regehr deal) and essentially it becomes this:

Buffalo
Robyn Regehr
Brayden McNabb
Jonathan Parker

LA
Hudson Fasching
Nicolas Deslauriers

Fasching was the centerpiece of the deal, big power forward. Has 17 games NHL experience over the last 2 years, 22 and in the AHL currently. It's pretty close to fish or cut bait time with him - if you can't make the Sabres lineup, that should be a red flag.

Deslauriers spent 2013-2017 with the Sabres, playing 82 games in 2014-15 and 70 games in 2015-16. He played 42 games last season and was traded 2 months ago to Montreal for Zack Redmond, a RH defender. he hasn't scored an NHL goal in almost 3 years.

McNabb was an experiment that didn't work out in LA, but he had his moments. I'll never forget however how bad I cringed when McNabb and McBain were out there together, which is why I called them the Brothers McStiffs. That was brutal to watch.

Regehr played a key role in LA with some of the younger guys, was a veteran influence in the locker room, solid in the 2012-13 POs and retired as a Cup champ in 2013-14.

All in all I think LA got the better end of those deals, it just remains to be seen how McNabb ends up since he was supposed to be a T4 defender in LA in the Mitchell mold.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, even if McNabb develops as they thought down the road sometimes you have to move on. How long do you wait? That's always the problem, hurt your team now but help your team later....depends where you are as an organization, the Kings need people that work now or its time to rebuild. Having Quick in the lineup is a reason to put a team that can compete out there.

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big, lumbering defenseman who was not a good puck-mover...team going in a different direction (thank God)...bye
4 yrs is too long, but that's their problem

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MacDermid > McNabb. Especially taking Cap Hit into consideration.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big, lumbering defenseman who was not a good puck-mover...team going in a different direction (thank God)...bye
4 yrs is too long, but that's their problem

He had his moments, his first year in LA I was thinking OK, Dumbo may have made a good move. He put up 22 points, laid some big hits, looked like he was learning the game. He came from a shitty Buffalo team (still the same. Shocker) so he had somewhat of a pass, coming to a veteran team, younger kid, maybe some intimidation and confidence issues but he had a superb group of leaders to help him develop.

I don't know what happened to him in years 2-4 but he either regressed or stagnated and neither was worth keeping. He reminded me of a North American Maxim Kuznetsov or Mathieu Biron - big oaf defenders who stunk.

I remember in Kuznetsov's first game in LA after he was traded here from Detroit in the Avery deal in March 2003 he stepped on the puck behind Potvin, fell, the puck ends up in front of Potvin, score. I knew right there we had major issues with the guy.

Would have been nice to move him and get something but at least he isn't in LA anymore.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MacDermid > McNabb. Especially taking Cap Hit into consideration.

Absolutely. McDermid is hands down a better, large and in charge defender than McNabb. I think that is what Dumbo envisioned, and he had him in his system all along.