• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Going Deep…

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going Deep: West Virginia, TCU stuck with case of Big 12 blues | NCAA.comGoing Deep: West Virginia, TCU stuck with case of Big 12 blues | NCAA.com

Last night, Coach Shafer… SU's head coach… spent some time with us at a dinner meeting. It was the first time I had the pleasure of meeting him, and I came away impressed with his down to earth demeanor.

He threw a bunch of jabs my way as I was the lone WVU fan among the small group.

As he was fired by RichRod, it was no surprise to hear him mention his time with Rich in a negative manner.

He spoke of his team's transition to the ACC, and how it responded in its first year in its new league. He was very honest. He mentioned that playing in the ACC was more difficult than he imagined. He does not have the players right now to compete. His team was built to play in a conference that did not require the athleticism or the depth that the ACC requires. It will take time…

Sounds familiar… huh?

He opened up to a Q&A session with the group.

I asked him a couple of questions. I told him I knew Rich forced him to play the 3-3-5 stack, and wanted his opinion of the defense. And, followed this with his thoughts about Coach Bradley coming to WVU and being forced to coach a defense he has not worked with in his past.

He provided an interesting response. He said he will be observing the situation at WVU, but is unsure how it will work. Like some have said on this board, he stated the stack is not a bad defense… any kind of defense can work. But, you have to have guys who believe in it. Or, it will not work. That was the problem he faced at UofM.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That all would make sense...when you break it down its how you play your 3 man front and posotion your LB's in a 3-3 or 3-4...and in essence a 3-3 is truly a modified 3-4...

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it really worked well, everybody would be using it.

However, that is one reason, I am not objecting to use is again this year. The last two years, everybody in the league was using the same defense as us. Nobody needed to make adjustments as they were playing against basically the same defense they practice against. Now they will have to prepare for something different. also, being a pass happy league, having that extra DB on the field should be a help.

The success of this will more likely than not depend on strong Nose Tackle production. When that position gets pushed back, DBs have to cheat to stop the run and everything seems to fall apart.