• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gerrit Cole

Burgh Sports Rule

Let's Go Bucs!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gerrit Cole, is anyone else starting to get concerned with him?

He is not exactly tearing it up in AAA as we all had hoped.

I think it's safe to say that his results in AAA to this point, have been average at best.

Unless he turns it around in short order, I think the hopes of him being called up in June are gone.

I am now looking at post All Star Break as a possible date & maybe not until September?

So, again, is anyone else concerned with Gerrit Cole at this point?

Also, what do you guys think has been his biggest problem in not being a dominate, top pick in the country type pitcher in AAA? As his draft status would indicate?

Thanks,

Burgh

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am not concerned, he was rushed through 3 levels last season before any teams had any information on him and therefore could not scout and adjust. This type of season is about what I expected to this point. I also expect at some point soon he is going to turn it around and begin to dominate hitters. I will also say I never wanted him to be promoted this season and I am pretty sure that now he won't be. We may not have anyone in the entire system with a higher upside, but right now he have at least 5 pitchers pitching better than Cole. There is no reason to promote him until he forces his way into the rotation.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless he has lost velocity or something like that, then I'm not concerned, can't really scout the stat line to figure that out his troubles other than k's are down and bb's are up, but hits are down as well. Looks like he is having some trouble with lefties which isn't a huge deal.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What Cole needs is to be challenged more. He's getting away with a weak approach because his stuff is too good. Get him to the majors so that he can get some perspective about why he needs to learn to pitch. If you're waiting for him to learn that in AAA then he'll never be ready. This is just wasting time.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What Cole needs is to be challenged more. He's getting away with a weak approach because his stuff is too good. Get him to the majors so that he can get some perspective about why he needs to learn to pitch. If you're waiting for him to learn that in AAA then he'll never be ready. This is just wasting time.

But beyond the old standards for pitching he is getting beat up pretty good at AAA. His ERA might be decent, but his K's and walks and IP all suck.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
But beyond the old standards for pitching he is getting beat up pretty good at AAA. His ERA might be decent, but his K's and walks and IP all suck.

Well we have one perspective. We can only hope that he shares it.
I think he'll appreciate our perspective faster if he takes some lumps in the majors. Let votto and braun show him.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think he'll appreciate our perspective faster if he takes some lumps in the majors. Let votto and braun show him.

I doubt in would agree regardless but I would be more inclined to bring him up to take a couple lumps if our major league team didn't currently have the 3rd best record I the NL. I just think that he is probably where he needs to be for his development, now he needs to show some development at the level.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
he needs to show a level of perfectionism and self drive that separates the talented but fall by the wayside from the talented and game changer,
he needs more ambition to excel.
he didnt show it at ucla, so i am concerned he will be a #3 or 4 although he has ace+stuff.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
he needs to show a level of perfectionism and self drive that separates the talented but fall by the wayside from the talented and game changer,
he needs more ambition to excel.
he didnt show it at ucla, so i am concerned he will be a #3 or 4 although he has ace+stuff.

A lot of guys in the system could learn a lot about self drive and perfectionism from Nick Kingham. That guy works his tail off year round, very good follow on Twitter also.

Burgh Sports Rule

Let's Go Bucs!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have to respectfully disagree with you on this point Illinest.

The Pirates have a good, possibly very good team this yr. We are playing for something this yr & I don't think it's just to end the streak of losing seasons.

I really feel that the Pirates can compete for a playoff spot.

Consequently, I don't want Cole up here pitching & possibly getting knocked around & costing us some important games.

Cole, should only be up here if he has his stuff together, is ready, can contribute to the team in a positive way & be a difference maker for the Pirates.

I don't feel he is at that point yet in AAA.

Burgh

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There is time for this kid to just gain experience.

As stated in this thread he has moved fast..

He is young... Keep him strong and healthy and let him work on control and throwing all of his pitches...

And right now the Pirates rotation has been nothing short of awesome! So there is no spot for him right now anyways.. The Pirates have been getting amazing pitching out of their 4th and 5th starters ( Locke and Gomez ) So there is not really a gaping hole or a hole at all for Cole to fill.

Plus McDonald and Morton are going to be pushing for playing time as they come back from the DL... I read on ESPN that Morton is due to make 2 more rehab starts and then he will join the Bucs Rotation. McDonald is throwing bullpen sessions and is now pain free.. He will build up the pitch count. It will be almost 2 weeks before Morton would be pitching for the Pirates and by that time barring a setback McDonald should be close to returning also.

There just is no spot for Cole right now.

If he takes his game to the next level maybe he gets used in the pen down the stretch to help this team make the post season???

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Morton and mcDonald both got lit up yesterday.
at least morton went 5, mcD couldnt get thru 1.

with karstens out, what are the options.
thankfully, burnett, wandy, locke have looked like they will be reliable through the year unless locke pulls a 2012 mcD and dives the 2nd half.

liriano will be a very good #4 if he can just be .500 and keep us in games.

gomez is the wildcard, has pitched well, but can he be a #5. i am willing to give him a shot. but if he is more suited for long relief, who gets the call?

cole, oliver, morton, mcD, cumpton, McP (where is he in rehab land).
or does wilson get a chance, he has been great in the pen and would love to keep him there.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny how two weeks ago, it looked like the Pirates had 8 potential starters by this time, not including Cole, now we are struggling to get to 5.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
can never have too much pitching.

glad we have pimentel and taillon on the horizon.
what is up with heredia.

Cole, taillon, locke, heredia, pimental/mcP/sadler/kingham/McD

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
can never have too much pitching.

glad we have pimentel and taillon on the horizon.
what is up with heredia.

Cole, taillon, locke, heredia, pimental/mcP/sadler/kingham/McD

If Locke is still in the rotation in 2016 I will be disappointed.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Crow

I on the surface agree with what you are saying.. but we just have no idea how long Locke will continue to pitch this well... I know it is a long shot... If at the end of the year the guy is still giving up less than a hit per inning.. striking out at least twice as many as he walks and has an era under 3.00 you have to consider him a lock for next year's rotation going into the spring... and likewise the next year and so on.

I think it highly unlikely that he maintain the high level of success he is achieving currently long term.. but I do not have ESP...

Ideally I guess other guys get healthy and develop and we can trade Locke for a piece we need in another area later on down the line.

There is a lot to like about Locke.. Stingy with the homerun... very consistent.. 7 of his 19 starts he has given up 3 runs or less! He is not a big strikeout guy... But he is getting his pitch count up to the 100 mark slowly and We are seeing him pitch a little deeper into games getting into the 7th inning... I had no expectation of this guy giving the Bucs this much of a boost to the rotation before the start of the season.. This for me came right out of left field...

No pun intended here... but as long as he stays as is he has to be a Lock, however long that is.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just posted.

Former No. 1 overall pick and Pirates top prospect Gerrit Cole could make his first big league start as soon as Tuesday (June 11), writes MLB.com's Tom Singer. Wandy Rodriguez will be unable to make that start after exiting his previous outing with an injury, and manager Clint Hurdle said that spot was open as of right now. The Buccos have two established starters on the mend, but neither James McDonald or Charlie Morton will be prepared to make that start.

More here...

stillmatic32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have tickets for Tuesday and Thursday night. Tuesday night seems to be Cole vs. Lincecum and then Thursday night is AJ Burnett vs. Matt Cain. It seems guys like Cain have a tendency of "finding themself" vs. the Buccos. We will see.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now it would be cool if they gave him the fanfare Strasburg got with his first start. A national TV game on ESPN.