• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Georgia Tech...

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't the B1G on the basic plan for DirecTV anyway?

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter how many fans GT has. It's all about the amount of people in the area. The B1G would be able to sell their network in the state to all those people. Doesn't matter if they are fans or not. I live in Northern VA and already receive the B1G network as part of my cable package, even though I'm not a B1G fan. It's because there is a huge B1G presence already in the area with PSU fans. The B1G just wants that presence in Atlanta so they can bundle their network with cable packages and sell it to everyone in the state.

Do you have basic cable? If you already had the B1G network via basic cable in NOVA, why did they add Maryland?

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Do you have basic cable? If you already had the B1G network via basic cable in NOVA, why did they add Maryland?

I have FIOS and they offer the BTN in all their packages, but looking at other cable providers like Cox or Comcast, they do not offer the BTN in their basic packages. I do not think adding Maryland is going to help the B1G like they want, but clearly they want to make sure they have the entire DC metro area.

Nate Silver wrote a great article about it: Expansion by Big Ten May Bring Small Payoff - NYTimes.com

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, the B1G will see a substantial gain in the Atlanta market if they add GT. It still wont get them the majority of the market with Georgia dominating that series.

That's just incorrect. It gets them just as much as UGA has, because anywhere in GA you can see a UGA game, you can also see a GT game. It doesn't MATTER who wins.

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter how many fans GT has. It's all about the amount of people in the area. The B1G would be able to sell their network in the state to all those people. Doesn't matter if they are fans or not. I live in Northern VA and already receive the B1G network as part of my cable package, even though I'm not a B1G fan. It's because there is a huge B1G presence already in the area with PSU fans. The B1G just wants that presence in Atlanta so they can bundle their network with cable packages and sell it to everyone in the state.

This is correct.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have FIOS and they offer the BTN in all their packages, but looking at other cable providers like Cox or Comcast, they do not offer the BTN in their basic packages. I do not think adding Maryland is going to help the B1G like they want, but clearly they want to make sure they have the entire DC metro area.

Nate Silver wrote a great article about it: Expansion by Big Ten May Bring Small Payoff - NYTimes.com

Well...to have the entire DC metro area they need to add VT. There are probably more VT fans in that area that ACTUALLY follow their team, than there are in DC Metro for MD. Of the few games that I watched of MD, their fan turnout at Byrd Stadium equals something you would see at Miami or UVA. At least that is the way it looked on TV from my sofa. This doesn't even include Richmond, 757, and the rest of VA.

:der: <<<< B1G

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...to have the entire DC metro area they need to add VT. There are probably more VT fans in that area that ACTUALLY follow their team, than there are in DC Metro for MD. Of the few games that I watched of MD, their fan turnout at Byrd Stadium equals something you would see at Miami or UVA. At least that is the way it looked on TV from my sofa. This doesn't even include Richmond, 757, and the rest of VA.

I think that every time anyone has said B1G added Maryland for the DC market. My only rational explanation is that yes, they wanted the market but they also wanted a team their traditional powers like Ohio St and Michigan could beat easily. Maryland fits that bill. VT does not

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

You're missing the point. It's not about which team has the most fans in the area. It's about just having a program within the area. They offer the network to everyone in the area as part of a cable package. Now they have an audience to market the package. Before they had PSU only, which is why I have had access to it in Northern VA, I believe. But now with Maryland, they can offer it to everyone.