• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT We Have a Problem @ Champs

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team is 8-16 since acquiring China Doll.

In those games, we have scored 65 runs (2.71 per game) and have been shut out five times.

Agree with msg, there are tons of problems, but China Doll certainly IS a problem.

Before the trade, the Giants were 9-6 post ASB, and were scrapping in every game. That even includes the terrible series with the Reds. Something happened. Getting China Doll- cause and effect? Perhaps not totally, but it added to the plummeting of the team's fortunes.

I still hope he can prove himself a good acquisition, and start driving in runs. Like Huff (who has been terrible), last night he singled with authority to open the 9th. What we really needed him to do was single (or more) and drive in runs when he had the chances earlier in the game. I don't care if the guy hits .300. Huff has hit near .300 since the break, and driven in very few runs. I would sooner take a guy hitting .220 and driving in runs than have a run produced hitting .300 but never getting a hit with runners on base. This whole "but Huff is hitting well" is crap. He is not paid to hit "well", he is paid to drive runs in!

:rant:

Although not a 100% equal stat, the RBI is similar to a Win for a pitcher. You need someone on base in order to get an RBI (basically).

With this team, We need to be faulting the OBP, NOT the RBI as the core stat that leads to our woes.

The 8 - 132 with RISP (made up stat, used for effect) IS a problem, but so is the 10 - 196 wo RISP.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just too many injuries :cue captain obvious:
ATL will have to play Milwaukee anyways which kind of sucks but they will have the better record than the NL West Champ

Atlanta will have to face Milwaukee?

Oh Captain My Captain!

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although not a 100% equal stat, the RBI is similar to a Win for a pitcher. You need someone on base in order to get an RBI (basically).

With this team, We need to be faulting the OBP, NOT the RBI as the core stat that leads to our woes.

The 8 - 132 with RISP (made up stat, used for effect) IS a problem, but so is the 10 - 196 wo RISP.

Agree to a point. though no one will confuse this team with a OBP machine, there HAVE been chances, though not plenty. I suppose on a team with tons of chances, the failures are overlooked because there are successes more often, and runs score. Our scoring problem is highlighted and exacerbated by the brilliance of the pitching staff. Give this staff the hitters from even a mediocre club, and we'd rival the old Orioles by having the potential for four legit 20-game winners.

The Reds game on 7/31 is an example of your intended case. For a whole 9 inning game, the Giants were 0 for 1 with RISP! In fact, in four of the losses since 7/31, the Giants have been 0-1 or 0-2 with RISP.

IN the 16 recent losses: Giants are 7-86 with RISP, .081!!!! That averages out to 5.37 runners a game. If they hit their season average of .220 with RISP, that would mean 12 more runs.

In the recent 8 wins: Giants are 22-75 with RISP, or .293. That averages 9.37 runners a game.

Our hitting with RISP (.220 as a team for the season) has been atrocious. We need more runners, yes. But we also need some guys to do something with them.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree to a point. though no one will confuse this team with a OBP machine, there HAVE been chances, though not plenty. I suppose on a team with tons of chances, the failures are overlooked because there are successes more often, and runs score. Our scoring problem is highlighted and exacerbated by the brilliance of the pitching staff. Give this staff the hitters from even a mediocre club, and we'd rival the old Orioles by having the potential for four legit 20-game winners.

The Reds game on 7/31 is an example of your intended case. For a whole 9 inning game, the Giants were 0 for 1 with RISP! In fact, in four of the losses since 7/31, the Giants have been 0-1 or 0-2 with RISP.

IN the 16 recent losses: Giants are 7-86 with RISP, .081!!!! That averages out to 5.37 runners a game. If they hit their season average of .220 with RISP, that would mean 12 more runs.

In the recent 8 wins: Giants are 22-75 with RISP, or .293. That averages 9.37 runners a game.

Our hitting with RISP (.220 as a team for the season) has been atrocious. We need more runners, yes. But we also need some guys to do something with them.

I am not saying "clutch" is something to be ignored. I just think that when you have a lineup of 6 guys hitting under .250, complaining about "clutch" is a deck chair issue.