• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT - July 1st Free Agency: I'll take Patrick Rissmiller for $4.0m Alex!

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I dont normally side with the players, but this case i am especially after the last lockout, they made HUGE concessions to the owners. This last CBA's is essentially the Owners CBA, and now they want to change it agian, sorry but the Owners need to give back to the players and the fans this go around.

To me, it sure seems like the biggest problem with the current CBA is the front loading circumvention. Just make the contract cap hit equal to the salary in a given season and disallow retirement, injury, or demotion as a way to avoid the cap hit. The problem is those three situations:

1. players like redden and souray got around 6M to sit in the minors. Hell Niity did too. Burying in the minors is a clear way to sign lots of guys to big money and then not pay the cap price.

2. retirements like rafalski with 6M left cant be a cap wash. Best solution seems to be that the player can retire and the team does not have to pay the player, but still takes the full cap hit. This will essentially eliminate a large part of the incentive for the crazy 15 year deals with no money at the end and retirement allowing the average cap hit to be lowered.

3. Frontloading. This is a function of the cap hit being an average once again. Get rid of the average salary issue and suddenly richards, hossa and co. are eating up 12M in cap space. That will overnight eliminate those huge frontloaded deals.

All of these changes would hurt the players but I thyink all them would just be corrections of oversights from the previous CBA and should be acceptable to both sides. They would keep salaries much lower and more reasonable while retaining the spirit of the first CBA.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Looks rather likely that all the talk of this year's team may be moot. Not much good news coming and the lockout starts in just a month. I would say that really hurts the sharks since teams with lots of young kids will be able to develop withou costing the NHL team a year on the EL or RFA contract, much like the sharks were actually helped by the 2004-5 lockout cuz they allowed michalek, bernier, and carle to develop and be ready after the lockout.

This time though, the sharks are already old and losing a year makes them even older and they will end up paying a 37 year old zues and have jumbo and patty paid big at age 36 and boyle at 38. Simply put, a CBA lost year would basically make the sharks complete fucked for two years after.

Of course, either way, I really hope the fans punish the whole league and NHLPA this time. This is fucking ridiculous.

Rules, I don't see any way the league and the players blow this.They had to have learned from last time. It's all posturing right now. They HAVE to get a deal done. Hockey isn't football, and they may not be able to overcome another work stoppage.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say if the NHL has a lock out, I say bring in the REPLACEMENT PLAYERS! I might even try out.
J/k only if I were younger

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rules, I don't see any way the league and the players blow this.They had to have learned from last time. It's all posturing right now. They HAVE to get a deal done. Hockey isn't football, and they may not be able to overcome another work stoppage.

I agree. I think at worst there is a shortened season. Rules brought up a great point about how a lost season could effectively end the Sharks' window to win. However, a shortended season can help them due to the less amount of games that the 33+ year olds have to play.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If we're no clicking on all cylinders by midseason, I would love to unload Boyle, Marleau, Thornton, McClellan & Wilson. Time to go young, big, fast & feisty.:eyebrows:

I'd trade Thornton or Boyle (whichever one they wanted most) to NYR for Kreider and Hagelin though for sure. I'd take that gamble as most likely one of them would turn out to be a consistent 40 point player and then you could make up the difference with the cap space. Sadly, DWil most likely won't ever trade Jumbo. I think Marleau will be a Shark for the duration of his contract due to his NMC.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:burt: why can't the players & owners get along? I don't want to see another lock out! :mad2:

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd trade Thornton or Boyle (whichever one they wanted most) to NYR for Kreider and Hagelin though for sure. I'd take that gamble as most likely one of them would turn out to be a consistent 40 point player and then you could make up the difference with the cap space. Sadly, DWil most likely won't ever trade Jumbo. I think Marleau will be a Shark for the duration of his contract due to his NMC.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't get on Patricia's case so often if he would just realize that his NMC does not apply to his ice time during the playoffs! :finger:

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hannan was a beast on the Sharks but he never lived up to it after he left. I was pissed when he wasn't re-signed but that ended up being a good move.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because I'm bored:

CapGeek.com :: The definitive source for NHL salary cap data and player contracts :: Cap Calculator

I tried to stay semi-realistic (i.e. - not trading Thornton/Marleau/Havlat/Handzus), but here are the changes in a nutshell:

To NYR: Dan Boyle
To SJ: Carl Hagelin, Michael Rupp and a 3rd Round pick in 2013

To TOR: Ryane Clowe, Douglas Murray and Antii Niemi
To SJ: Tyler Bozak, Cody Franson (his RFA rights) and James Reimer

This years team takes a huge hit talent wise, but gets much younger and quicker. It also gives them close to $14M in cap space to play with next offseason.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just because I'm bored:

CapGeek.com :: The definitive source for NHL salary cap data and player contracts :: Cap Calculator

I tried to stay semi-realistic (i.e. - not trading Thornton/Marleau/Havlat/Handzus), but here are the changes in a nutshell:

To NYR: Dan Boyle
To SJ: Carl Hagelin, Michael Rupp and a 3rd Round pick in 2013

To TOR: Ryane Clowe, Douglas Murray and Antii Niemi
To SJ: Tyler Bozak, Cody Franson (his RFA rights) and James Reimer

This years team takes a huge hit talent wise, but gets much younger and quicker. It also gives them close to $14M in cap space to play with next offseason.

I would hope they could do better than a 3rd line forward, 4th line forward, and a throw away pick for Boyle. If they are going to move a significant piece like Boyle it should be for legitimate forward depth, middle tier scoring winger and solid two-way 3rd liner, something like that. I'd prefer to have to add a little to Boyle to get that kind of package rather than trading him straight up for more of what the Sharks already have.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i wouldnt trade nittymaki for reimer

I'm not viewing Reimer as a permanent replacement. He's more of a stop gap for this season until we can develop/sign somebody better. I just want the Sharks to infuse the lineup with some younger, quicker talent as well as gain more cap space. I don't have much faith at all with the current roster and delivering a cup.

Samsonov is getting a try out in SJ. Meh...

Interesting. Can't hurt, if he's done, no harm no foul. A good low risk, medium reward option.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would hope they could do better than a 3rd line forward, 4th line forward, and a throw away pick for Boyle. If they are going to move a significant piece like Boyle it should be for legitimate forward depth, middle tier scoring winger and solid two-way 3rd liner, something like that. I'd prefer to have to add a little to Boyle to get that kind of package rather than trading him straight up for more of what the Sharks already have.

Do you think they'd trade away Hagelin and Kreider for Boyle +? If so, what other piece would have to be added? I was just less than impressed than what Howson got back for Rick Nash. Would Philly be a better trade partner for Boyle? What type of package would you be seeking from them?

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not viewing Reimer as a permanent replacement. He's more of a stop gap for this season until we can develop/sign somebody better. I just want the Sharks to infuse the lineup with some younger, quicker talent as well as gain more cap space. I don't have much faith at all with the current roster and delivering a cup.

Interesting. Can't hurt, if he's done, no harm no foul. A good low risk, medium reward option.

Riemer isn't even a good stop gap, is take a chance on Steve mason before Riemer