• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gawdd Dwamnn

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a way to find out if there was some sort of record set for injuries to pitchers? I feel like this year there have been more injuries in the last month than there were the entire year last season. Crazy.

TJ surgery seems like it's inevitable for every SP out there nowadays.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a way to find out if there was some sort of record set for injuries to pitchers? I feel like this year there have been more injuries in the last month than there were the entire year last season. Crazy.

TJ surgery seems like it's inevitable for every SP out there nowadays.

Soon it is going to be the first thing done when a pitcher is drafted. Just do it and get it out of the way.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha for real. I love your avi, btw. :heh:

Thanks, lol.

That theory isn't mine, I've heard it mentioned before. A successful TJ surgery now a days is pretty common and after rehab can actually add a couple of MPH to someone who wasn't a 100+ fireballer to begin with. I wouldn't be surprised if some kid or minorleaguer out there hasn't already gone that route or strongly considered it.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, lol.

That theory isn't mine, I've heard it mentioned before. A successful TJ surgery now a days is pretty common and after rehab can actually add a couple of MPH to someone who wasn't a 100+ fireballer to begin with. I wouldn't be surprised if some kid or minorleaguer out there hasn't already gone that route or strongly considered it.

Yeah that would be extremely risky, but could pay off. I think the team or agent of the pitcher would probably do all they could to not let that happen... and players would probably not want to be the "experiment" until they start making millions.

Would definitely be interesting to see someone try it.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that would be extremely risky, but could pay off. I think the team or agent of the pitcher would probably do all they could to not let that happen... and players would probably not want to be the "experiment" until they start making millions.

Would definitely be interesting to see someone try it.

I think it would have happened if we didn't see people having to go back for follow up TJ surgeries.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wainwright is pitching better than ever since his TJ. And several others have seen a 2-3 mph increase upon their return.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i blame the inconsistency of strike zones. i'd bet it increases the number of pitches per game by at least 25%, and it just gets worse every year.

that's crazy wear and tear. i don't think most people understand the mechanics of pitching. one little thing out of sync, and it can add up to a terrible repetitive stress injury.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i blame the inconsistency of strike zones. i'd bet it increases the number of pitches per game by at least 25%, and it just gets worse every year.

that's crazy wear and tear. i don't think most people understand the mechanics of pitching. one little thing out of sync, and it can add up to a terrible repetitive stress injury.

BS on umps
In 1988 597 games a pitcher threw more than 120 pitches ( langston did it 20 times) last year it happened 69 times (wilson did it 6 times) They baby these pitchers and it back fires on them or maybe they are just more willing to have surgery:suds:

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wainwright is pitching better than ever since his TJ. And several others have seen a 2-3 mph increase upon their return.

Wonder if it is not the surgery but their training routine? Maybe that is altered after the surgery?

Also this would be hard to find out but I wonder how often the folks had TJ surgery had their pitching motions altered/changed by past pitching coaches? No matter what any type of throwing puts undo stress on your elbow but I wonder if you got a consistent motion and stayed with it would that cause less stress?

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't remember which former big league pitcher I recently heard talking about more frequent injuries to pitchers (think it might have been Jim Deshaies), but he attributed the problem to pitchers now training by lifting heavy weights more than they used to. He claimed that lifting heavy weights makes tendons in the arm less elastic and reduces flexibility of arm muscles, resulting in more pitchers hurting their arms.

depraved

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,130.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was a pitcher I would just have TJ surgery and get it out of the way. But it is crazy now, it seems like everyday a pitcher is going down and needs TJ surgery. I remember when Nolan Ryan was working with the Rangers a few years back and he just let the guys throw and it seemed like none of them got injured until he stopped giving his input.

I agree with the poster above who said they baby pitchers. They really do, once a pitcher hits that 100 pitch mark the manager is ready to get them out of there. I've noticed that some managers will have the quick hook for pitchers at 90 pitches now too. Soon we will see pitchers only getting 70-80 pitches a game with how it is evolving.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't remember which former big league pitcher I recently heard talking about more frequent injuries to pitchers (think it might have been Jim Deshaies), but he attributed the problem to pitchers now training by lifting heavy weights more than they used to. He claimed that lifting heavy weights makes tendons in the arm less elastic and reduces flexibility of arm muscles, resulting in more pitchers hurting their arms.

I heard that one also from Leo Mazzone. And he mentioned about their pitching motions they need to have a routine to keep the flexiblity the same but it seems too often they are switching routines hence changing the flexiblity in the arms.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's kind of an odd point considering how prevalent pitch counts are in today's game.

I think for the most part it just comes down to today's pitchers throwing harder then previous generations and all the added stress on the arm.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The number of pitches thrown per game has increased, but it has nothing to do with the strike zone - and it has nothing to do with increased TJ surgeries. The higher pitch counts is due to better offense and the 'new' understanding that obp is more important than ave. And, teams intentionally take more pitches to get the starters out early - because they know everyone is on a pitch count these days... and these lower pitch counts actually reduce the would-be number of TJ surgeries...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/blog/archives/7533

I suspect the increase in TJ sugary is due to a combination of better pitching mechanics, better (more focused) training & exercise, and better surgery success rates. These athetes now train year round and have machines & routines to help build up the arm muscles needed for pitching. Unforunately, our arms were not designed for pitching overhand - and this extra focus put too much wear and tear (literally) on the unar collateral ligament.

Tommy John surgery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The number of pitches thrown per game has increased, but it has nothing to do with the strike zone - and it has nothing to do with increased TJ surgeries. The higher pitch counts is due to better offense and the 'new' understanding that obp is more important than ave. And, teams intentionally take more pitches to get the starters out early - because they know everyone is on a pitch count these days... and these lower pitch counts actually reduce the would-be number of TJ surgeries...

The average number of pitches thrown per game is rising » Baseball-Reference Blog » Blog Archive

It would be interesting to see pitches thrown broken down by pitcher.

Obviously that's something that has only recently been kept track of but it would be really interesting to see how a starter's workload today compares with pitchers in different eras.