• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gase Finalizing Deal with Miami to be their new Head Coach

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that about officially does it for Gase in Chicago. Really was hoping he'd stick around and this offense would gel.

I know Fox said in his post-season presser that no matter who is OC, that we will still run the same system. Still, Cutler with YET ANOTHER guy calling plays for him. YET ANOTHER guy he has to try to make a connection with.

Anyway, I think Miami may have finally gotten a good one. I think he'll do well.

Anyone have any idea of ties Fox may have to available OC candidates?

C

cubzzzfanincali

Well, I don't like the fact that we are changing OCs yet again, but it's not like Gase tore it up with us. Frankly I was somewhat disappointed by the results he got. 19th in the league in yards per play, 21st in first downs, 23rd in points scored. Eh, I don't know, it's not like this is that crushing of a loss.

I mean, sure, I get it, you don't want to constantly subject your offense to learning new systems. I wouldn't want hi to leave for simply that reason alone. But keep it in perspective, it's not like the guy was invaluable to our now-crushed Super Bowl chances next year or anything either.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I don't like the fact that we are changing OCs yet again, but it's not like Gase tore it up with us. Frankly I was somewhat disappointed by the results he got. 19th in the league in yards per play, 21st in first downs, 23rd in points scored. Eh, I don't know, it's not like this is that crushing of a loss.

I mean, sure, I get it, you don't want to constantly subject your offense to learning new systems. I wouldn't want hi to leave for simply that reason alone. But keep it in perspective, it's not like the guy was invaluable to our now-crushed Super Bowl chances next year or anything either.

Well, I think the fact that White, Alshon, Forte, Martellus, Royal and Marquess all missing a good chunk of or all/most of the season had a lot to do with the lack of production. IMO, for throwing to Josh Bellamy, Todd Mariani, etc... as his lead WR's for a good chunk of the season. He was pretty efficient. Along with subpar O-line play. Which was mostly due to personnel, IMO.

I was looking forward to seeing Cutler and the offense get healthy, pickup a few pieces in the off-season and continue to gel under him. We all knew this was a transitional season and that the numbers weren't going to be great.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still, Cutler with YET ANOTHER guy calling plays for him. YET ANOTHER guy he has to try to make a connection with.
This is why I think they should go with The QB Coach Dowell Loggains, Jay likes him, and the offense will have a similar voice as Gase... I'm concerned, if they bring in a guy like Ken Wisenhunt (rumored) he may try and do "his" thing a little too much. Just concerned.

but it's not like Gase tore it up with us.
19th in the league in yards per play, 21st in first downs, 23rd in points scored.
I have no idea if Cali is reading me again, but I leave it to him to take a piss. I'm 100% positive that if not for the injuries to Will Montgomery, Jeffery, Royal, Bennett, Forte... This team in the top ten in all those categories.

You may scoff at that...but that FIRST game- the bears came out and ran NO Huddle... IN the FIRST QRT! I've never seen that.
When they started getting injured the replacements couldn't handle the no huddle and hurry up stuff they intended to run... and slowed it down. I also think Montgomery was a HUGE loss for the year. Grasu wasn't ready and Slausen had double duty. They had multiple line changes each week. *if I remember it was like 7 weeks in a row with a different line combo. There's that continuity that's SO important. You add that to the uncertainty of the WR's each week... You take all that, and Gase limited turnovers, and kept them competitive for almost every game. Even generating some comeback wins.
That's what he did. That's why he's a HC now. Not a big loss...because of some numbers on a computer screen? Nah. Big loss.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering the hodge-podge team we assembled for the majority of the year, I'd say he did a remarkable job.

I'd argue he's one of the better OC's we've ever had.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I was really surprised Gase even took this OC job after being interviewed for the head coach job here. Nice transition year for the quarterback, internal promotion would keep things alot alike. I guess he was the 5th of 9 candidates in Miami, seemed like he had a shot at every opening. Well, the NFL just seems better when Miami is playing well, so best of luck to Gase.

C

cubzzzfanincali

The Bears were not the only offense to suffer significant injuries, in fact their injury situation wound up being pretty middle-of-the-road leaguewise. Sometimes I wonder how much people pay attention to the rest of the league when they only focus on their own team's injuries. All teams suffer injuries, some more than others, but some overcome it and some don't. Ours didn't.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bears were not the only offense to suffer significant injuries, in fact their injury situation wound up being pretty middle-of-the-road leaguewise. Sometimes I wonder how much people pay attention to the rest of the league when they only focus on their own team's injuries. All teams suffer injuries, some more than others, but some overcome it and some don't. Ours didn't.

I saw 9th most injured team somewhere, yesterday, I think?

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So what? What's your point? It doesn't matter if we watch every game and study every stat of every team. Of course every team has injuries.

It doesn't change the fact that Gase was still a damn good coach- and what he got out of an offense with that many injuries and lack of talented backups was pretty damn good. They were still competitive in many games. Why piss on stuff all the time?

C

cubzzzfanincali

I saw 9th most injured team somewhere, yesterday, I think?

'So far as I know,e source on such statistics (Football Outsiders) doesn't publish Adjusted Games Lost until March. If you see that, I'd be interested. I ran my qualitative analysis (and posted it here) up at about week 8 when the Bears clearly were not in the Top 10 by my figuring, and considering that we had fewer late season injuries than a lot of other teams, I'd be very surprised if we turn out at 9th, especially on the offense. But I'm open to being shown otherwise, so if you come across a source, I'd love to see that.

I can tell you this much. Let's throw out all of the numerous teams that obviously got saddled by worse injuries than we had (for example Dallas, or the nuclear holocaust that hit Baltimore, etc). They didn't succeed and that's that. And let's even ignore obvious exceptions like the Patriots because although clearly they were hit by a blizzard of offensive injuries at virtually every key offensive position Brady was healthy all year and Gronk mostly was too.

How do you explain Pittsburgh? That team was an offensive force, and they were hit much harder than the Bears were. Why is a talentless team like Jacksonville so productive on the offensive side but the Bears aren't? Carolina got leveled by skill position injuries this year outside of QB, has a terrible offensive line, and yet was nearly perfect. Does the OC get any credit for that? How about the Bengals? If turning Jay Cutler into Alex Smith is such an accomplishment, what of turning Andy Dalton into the second highest passer rating QB? The Jets? Did Gase do a better job than Gailey? Wo saw the Arizona offense doing that well with those guys? Do you realize even the dysfunctional Eagles had a more effective offense than we did? The Packers had a lot of injuries too, arguably more significant ones...and yet our coordinator was a genius? Even QB-less, skill position starved Houston had a more efficient offense.

Look, my point is not to rag on Gase, clearly he had a lot to deal with, as does every team. He may very well turn into a brilliant HC, and he may have squeezed points out of this Bears offense in ways we can barely appreciate. Only trouble is...there's not really any evidence of that.

So don't be despondent Bears fans. Gase leaving should do nothing for your hopes for the future. Sure, more coaching turnover doesn't help, but the guy wasn't the magic elixir we hoped he could be either. We will all see what happens with the next guy.

C

cubzzzfanincali

by the way, speaking of bitching about injuries, you should check this out:

Man Games Lost - How injured is YOUR team?

So basically we have been one of the least affected teams in the entire league of the last several years. Not the least affected, but among them.

And so Noon you look at that and really think Belichick isn't very good? I'd suggest you reconsider your premises. Just suggestion.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(And so Noon you look at that and really think Belichick isn't very good? I'd suggest you reconsider your premises. Just suggestion.) No Cali you may have misunderstood me, I said he has a losing record without Brady. That's a fact. There is no arguing that he is not good, he is. I can't call him best ever because of the losing record record without a elite QB.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While every team has injury's we did have many at the same position. WR. We lost BM, we had very little AJ, Bennett missed major time, Wilson missed major time, K White missed the whole year, Royal missed most the year. Point is we were hit very hard in one area, That tied Gase's hands as far as how he ran the O.

C

cubzzzfanincali

(And so Noon you look at that and really think Belichick isn't very good? I'd suggest you reconsider your premises. Just suggestion.) No Cali you may have misunderstood me, I said he has a losing record without Brady. That's a fact. There is no arguing that he is not good, he is. I can't call him best ever because of the losing record record without a elite QB.

if you are including his Cleveland stint, sure this is true. But virtually every person in the league, including Belichick himself, has said his Cleveland experience changed ho he was a coach in major ways. He has a winning record without Brady as QB as well if you are looking at New England. And it's a litte silly to simply ascribe everything that has happened with Brady at QB as having nothing to do with BB. Brady wasn't all that amazing those first few years there, and Brady's play itself is in lage degree directly attributable to BB. Do you really think Brady's ability to dissect defenses has nothing to do with who his head coach has been? Come on man, be serious.

C

cubzzzfanincali

While every team has injury's we did have many at the same position. WR. We lost BM, we had very little AJ, Bennett missed major time, Wilson missed major time, K White missed the whole year, Royal missed most the year. Point is we were hit very hard in one area, That tied Gase's hands as far as how he ran the O.

Again, the injuries at WR existed for a lot of other teams also. Across the season, look at all the teams who had crappier WR than we did. NE, Carolina, Houston, KC, Seattle...all had clearly worse WR on the field and it didn't stop them. You can make a solid argument the Bears had roughly similar talent to what Minn and Washington had out there (DeSean Jackson played hurt most of the season). GB maybe not quite as bad as us but certainly close.

I'm not saying the WR injury problems didn't hurt us. Sure, they did. But you can't point to that as an excuse, many other teams successfully overcame deficiences and won. Being a success in the NFL is defined by winning, not by the excuses for losing you can come up with.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was not making excuses, I was just saying that I personally can't judge Gase and his shitty play calling with all the injury's. At this point I don't know if Gase was a good or bad coach.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I'm not giving Brady all the credit but no coach can win without good QB play. I do think BB is one of the better coaches. I just don't buy into the genius part.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here we go again......You have to have the talent to make a team thrive......Its not the other way around....

All the coaches do is call the plays(well in most cases) and teach discipline....If you don't have the talent,you don't have a team.
I would look at Gases play calling if anyone wanted to actually call him out.I don't think he did a bad job by any means,but when you trade off BM,your 1st rd pick gets injured before the season started,your no.1 wr is injured most of the season and your no.1 te is injured most of the season,numbers are gonna be skewed.

Gase is not all tale of the tape in this offense....Neither will be the next coach.

Get the talent here and keep that talent......Its not like we had any probowl players.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I see it... Trestman had BM, Forte, Bennett, AJ...etc. And he didn't win either. It IS coaching along with talent. It's my opinion that Gase, with his "way" in dealing with Cutler and others, they came together, they trusted each other. They performed better than what Trestman did with "better" talent that was healthier than what Gase had. Thus Gase better coach.*

(*this could also be the Fox factor too, but coaches matter... I thought last year would have taught us all that. Talent matters more- of course...)