• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Garrett's, Linehan's, Marinelli's Contracts

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe (the little genius's) Garrett's contract has three years left on it....at $6,000,000 a season.
Scott Linehan's and Rod Marinelli's contract have two years remaining. (maybe three, depends on the extension details)

I doubt that Jerry would dump $18,000,000 in Garrett's money, not to mention Linehan's money.

Jerry could fire himself........That wouldn't cost him anything.

In the the last 8 seasons.......the COWBOYS have 68 wins and 62 losses (including post season)
.....2 winning seasons (maybe 3)
2 playoff appearances .......1 win and 2 losses in the post season

It's time to back up the truck on this whole organization..

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are these contracts guaranteed?

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team should win 11-12 games next season. The talent is there, the schedule will lighten up and the Zeke ordeal is behind them. Anything short of the playoffs next year and they will all be gone

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team should win 11-12 games next season. The talent is there, the schedule will lighten up and the Zeke ordeal is behind them. Anything short of the playoffs next year and they will all be gone
I agree. The heat is on next year.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as the first contract gone from the team is the contract of Chaz Green... I’ll be fine.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't say I think they SHOULD win 11 or 12 games next year. I just don't think they have quite that much talent to expect that, but I think that is certainly achievable. But I totally agree on the rest. I think that is pretty fair to give Garrett another year. If we miss the playoffs next year, he just has to go.

Some changes I would ponder this offseason:

I have always felt it is tough to judge a QB coach because your job is just so dependent on the talent of the QB, but I've never been a fan of Wilson as QB coach and would get rid of him. I have this same feeling every year, we never make a change and I find myself thinking it again after each season. I think Dak missed Mark Sanchez on the sideline. Never seemed to see anyone else telling him what he should be doing in the middle of the game and I think he misses that veteran experience in his ear.

The Offense. This is Garrett's Offense he forced on Linehan when he came. You can say what you want about the patterns and the short passes but they were mostly the same with Romo. He just took more of the down the field shots (mostly because we were more often in 3rd and long) but the offense has been the same for years. Why in the world would Witten even be running a 2 yard pattern on 3rd and 10??? Just have him block if you are going to do that. Every other team has receivers that are open by 5 plus yards at least a few times a game. Why aren't ours? Yes the receiving corps is slow and can't get open on their own, but when guys are that wide open it's usually due to the patterns working well together and causing confusion by the defense. Our Offense works well when we are running well, but really every offense does. I think our whole passing offense scheme needs an overhaul. Keep relying on the run and the PAP and Daks mobility, but the patterns just don't seem difficult to cover for a zone or man. There is little motion, seldom do guys run "go" patterns to spread out the defense and take the safeties away, we don't run nearly the amount of picks as other teams and when in zone it never seems other teams are confused by who their guy is because most of the receiver's patterns seem independent of each other instead of working to pull defenders away from another guy. Of course most of this depends on a guy that can stretch the filed and that is a must this offseason.

Marinelli is a tough one. I really like him and the players totally love him, but our defense just hasn't gotten the job done. I am still a firm believer that defense is at least 50% attitude and we do have some talent. But I want us to be more aggressive with our DBs in coverage and with more blitzing. I know a lot of your feelings about Byron Jones but he has yet to be played in his natural FS spot needs to be put back there. You can change it up to get him on TEs at times because he is our best cover guy against TEs. When he first moved to safety and we played two deep a lot, Jones was great and for the first time in years we saw a guy take a straight line to the ball in the air and get over to knock passes away. Everyone else is a step late. He and Woods along with these young CBs will cover some serious ground. Heath and Frazier just can't be on the field regularly in passing downs. They are horrible in coverage and I'm not one to be fooled into thinking Heath's Interceptions mean he is a good cover guy. We have good speed at LB but we don't use it for blitzing enough and other than Lee none seem capable of knowing who their man is when in zone. If you have guys on the field that can't cover well anyway, you might as well have them blitz sometimes and serve a purpose. Someone needs to teach Jaylon Smith the Pro game a little better. I expected a cerebral guy with great instincts, but when Lee is not on the field he looks like he never played LB before. His angles are horrible, he makes half his tackles 5-7 yards down field and his pass coverage was poor as well. I'm hoping a lot is health related and think he is much better next year. Wilson looked so promising, but I thought he did very little this year and played poorly most games. Our substitutions are slow and confused and are basically abused by every team we play. GB and the Giants make a game plan around it. It's like guys don't know their roles. If Marinelli changes some of this I'm happy with him staying. If not I would like to move on because if he can't see what we are doing isn't working then we need to get someone in here who can.

Eiknarflin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that Garrett is blinded, to a degree, by the style of offense the Cowboys had in the 90s. There was very little about that offense that confused defenses. Even I mostly knew what they were going to do each play, and I'm nothing more than a fan watching from a recliner. The offense basically said, "Here's what we are going to do. Try to stop us if you can."

The difference between then and now is that we had the more dominant players. I met Phil Hansen, who played DE for the Buffalo Bills in the 90s, right after Jimmy Johnson left. I was bemoaning it to him and he said, "It won't matter. Dallas has the best players in the league."

That is simply no longer true. We had the best O-Line for a couple of years, arguably the best RB, and, up till his groin pull, the best PK. Apart from those positions, there is no other position where we have the best. Mostly we have mediocrity with a few bright spots that can't seem to stay healthy for any length of time.

Garrett is trying to play "Here's what we are going to do" football with a team that simply can't impose it's will on the other teams. This is why is he is constantly being out-coached. This is why there is no in-game adjustments. Garrett's forte is personality of the team, but not scheme. Personally, I think he would make a good team psychiatrist. I just don't think he is head coach material.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the first time in a long time , I'm more concerned about the offense than the defense. Of course Zeke hasn't been around much lately either, so that definitely will help things. I just really expected something different vs Seattle. I mean they are still a decent defense but not what they once were. Going into that game, it reminded me of the 2014 Colts game. I thought we would kill them.

I think Sanchize is with Trubisky in Chicago now. I think he does the same thing with him that he did with Dak.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Sanchize is with Trubisky in Chicago now. I think he does the same thing with him that he did with Dak.
Forgot about that. For a lot of reasons he is the last guy I thought would be good in that role, but I really think he thrives in it now.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cowboys should win at least 10 games next season.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot about that. For a lot of reasons he is the last guy I thought would be good in that role, but I really think he thrives in it now.

Yep. I saw something over the weekend with him imitating Gruden on the sidelines but he was telling Trubisky about his footwork. It's funny you brought that up about Wade Wilson. I didn't see him much this year. I wouldn't think he would be in the booth but maybe so. Dak didn't have many voices between series this yr.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't say I think they SHOULD win 11 or 12 games next year. I just don't think they have quite that much talent to expect that, but I think that is certainly achievable. But I totally agree on the rest. I think that is pretty fair to give Garrett another year. If we miss the playoffs next year, he just has to go.

Some changes I would ponder this offseason:

I have always felt it is tough to judge a QB coach because your job is just so dependent on the talent of the QB, but I've never been a fan of Wilson as QB coach and would get rid of him. I have this same feeling every year, we never make a change and I find myself thinking it again after each season. I think Dak missed Mark Sanchez on the sideline. Never seemed to see anyone else telling him what he should be doing in the middle of the game and I think he misses that veteran experience in his ear.

The Offense. This is Garrett's Offense he forced on Linehan when he came. You can say what you want about the patterns and the short passes but they were mostly the same with Romo. He just took more of the down the field shots (mostly because we were more often in 3rd and long) but the offense has been the same for years. Why in the world would Witten even be running a 2 yard pattern on 3rd and 10??? Just have him block if you are going to do that. Every other team has receivers that are open by 5 plus yards at least a few times a game. Why aren't ours? Yes the receiving corps is slow and can't get open on their own, but when guys are that wide open it's usually due to the patterns working well together and causing confusion by the defense. Our Offense works well when we are running well, but really every offense does. I think our whole passing offense scheme needs an overhaul. Keep relying on the run and the PAP and Daks mobility, but the patterns just don't seem difficult to cover for a zone or man. There is little motion, seldom do guys run "go" patterns to spread out the defense and take the safeties away, we don't run nearly the amount of picks as other teams and when in zone it never seems other teams are confused by who their guy is because most of the receiver's patterns seem independent of each other instead of working to pull defenders away from another guy. Of course most of this depends on a guy that can stretch the filed and that is a must this offseason.

Marinelli is a tough one. I really like him and the players totally love him, but our defense just hasn't gotten the job done. I am still a firm believer that defense is at least 50% attitude and we do have some talent. But I want us to be more aggressive with our DBs in coverage and with more blitzing. I know a lot of your feelings about Byron Jones but he has yet to be played in his natural FS spot needs to be put back there. You can change it up to get him on TEs at times because he is our best cover guy against TEs. When he first moved to safety and we played two deep a lot, Jones was great and for the first time in years we saw a guy take a straight line to the ball in the air and get over to knock passes away. Everyone else is a step late. He and Woods along with these young CBs will cover some serious ground. Heath and Frazier just can't be on the field regularly in passing downs. They are horrible in coverage and I'm not one to be fooled into thinking Heath's Interceptions mean he is a good cover guy. We have good speed at LB but we don't use it for blitzing enough and other than Lee none seem capable of knowing who their man is when in zone. If you have guys on the field that can't cover well anyway, you might as well have them blitz sometimes and serve a purpose. Someone needs to teach Jaylon Smith the Pro game a little better. I expected a cerebral guy with great instincts, but when Lee is not on the field he looks like he never played LB before. His angles are horrible, he makes half his tackles 5-7 yards down field and his pass coverage was poor as well. I'm hoping a lot is health related and think he is much better next year. Wilson looked so promising, but I thought he did very little this year and played poorly most games. Our substitutions are slow and confused and are basically abused by every team we play. GB and the Giants make a game plan around it. It's like guys don't know their roles. If Marinelli changes some of this I'm happy with him staying. If not I would like to move on because if he can't see what we are doing isn't working then we need to get someone in here who can.
I think Linehan should be let go, and Garrett should be allowed to call his own plays, which was the whole reason he got the job in the first place. Time management was a huge problem for him when he first became HC, but if he can't make that adjustment now, he never will. Next year is do or die for him, let him make it break himself

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as the first contract gone from the team is the contract of Chaz Green... I’ll be fine.
I was all in favor of leaving Green in Atlanta after that game but after thinking about it I have a bit of a different view. Green studied all off season to be a guard and was "gifted" the position in training camp and then promptly got hurt Cooper took over and green never got back in the lineup at guard. In Atlanta he was tossed to the wolves at tackle and given no help by the coaching staff at all. Now granted he performed worse than a revolving door at goldman sachs in 2007 but being asked with his skill set to just go back to tackle was way to much Bell should have started and been given help.
Should he be gone yes but equally for injuries and not being able to stay healthy as much as on field performance.

Garrett should have been docked his game check for allowing Green to stay in the game

JMHO

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen enough of our o-coordinator
I remember when Jimmy was the Head Coach. We had a HOF QB, a HOF WR, a great TE in Novacek, and a 6'4'' jumping jack in Alvin Harper...but the ball would go to 22....and then it would go to 22.....and it would go to 22......We don't have a HOF QB and we sure as Hell don't have a HOF WR, but we do have a great RB/OL. Head Coach and OC have no excuses

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dak is 200 percent behind Linehan and wants him back. Maybe he gets another year.