• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game 8 - Boston College @ Virginia Tech

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
offense looking a lot better in the 2nd half. bad thing is that when we play good teams (bc is truly awful), we cannot afford to play a sh!t first half. we have to start putting complete games together (we havent done that to date aside from appy state...).

aside from the good 2nd half performance, some other good news is that miami is beating georgia tech and looks like they will win. georgia tech is fading and fading fast. we will be in the drivers seat in the coastal. uva is also losing

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UNC is better than their performance today.

Debatable. Their secondary is absolutely miserable, and they have a quarterback that idolized Brett Favres TD/INT ratio. This is UNCs worse teams since 06. Luckily we scheduled scrubs and can go to a bowl game if we beat either State or Duke.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
offense looking a lot better in the 2nd half. bad thing is that when we play good teams (bc is truly awful), we cannot afford to play a sh!t first half. we have to start putting complete games together (we havent done that to date aside from appy state...).

aside from the good 2nd half performance, some other good news is that miami is beating georgia tech and looks like they will win. georgia tech is fading and fading fast. we will be in the drivers seat in the coastal. uva is also losing

No surprise, you guys should win the coastal and will probably win the ACC.

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The thing is, after looking at the schedule we won't face a good team until the ACC Champ game (if we make it). GT and UNC are mediocre, but could step up and bite us if we overlook them, but I see zero reason why we shouldn't finish up 11-1 heading down to Charlotte.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we will lose to georgia tech AND unc if we fail to play a complete game, especially georgia tech. they are legitimate football teams and they will beat us if we lay an egg in the first half again. georgia tech plays well from ahead and struggles from behind because they do not pass much at all.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we will lose to georgia tech AND unc if we fail to play a complete game, especially georgia tech. they are legitimate football teams and they will beat us if we lay an egg in the first half again. georgia tech plays well from ahead and struggles from behind because they do not pass much at all.

Well said.

The thing is, after looking at the schedule we won't face a good team until the ACC Champ game (if we make it). GT and UNC are mediocre, but could step up and bite us if we overlook them, but I see zero reason why we shouldn't finish up 11-1 heading down to Charlotte.

I wouldn't say either of those teams are top 15 but they could easily beat us if we don't bring our game in the first half. I think GT will be especially tough because of the scheme and the fact that it is on the road. Fortunately we have a bye week to get ready for them and continue to get healthy. UNC on Thursday night at Lane will be a big home field advantage, they have however beaten us there before in the same atmosphere. I know UVA kinda laid an egg today after the big win last week but don't sleep on them either. If we come out completely flat they could beat us to. We SHOULD be 11-1 in Charlotte but...not so fast my friend. Still alot of fball to be played.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm happy that we won but I'm pretty bitter about the first half. That's two weeks in a row we've come out looking lethargic on offense. The whole first half it looked like we were just going through the motions. There's no excuses for that lack of effort and readiness. The slow start and overall lack of spark is a direct result of poor coaching. They need to do a better job of getting the team prepared and focused for a full 4 quarters.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fosters thoughts about Bruce Taylor on the point after: "It doesnt look good there" & "well even if Bruce doesnt make it back, i feel pretty good about rivers" <--Yikes! i dont remember ever having to play this many guys on defense.

* Weird atmosphere in Lane today, imo. Maybe all the other activities on campus had people distracted?

* David Wilson first RB to go over 1000 this year.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'm happy that we won but I'm pretty bitter about the first half. That's two weeks in a row we've come out looking lethargic on offense. The whole first half it looked like we were just going through the motions. There's no excuses for that lack of effort and readiness. The slow start and overall lack of spark is a direct result of poor coaching. They need to do a better job of getting the team prepared and focused for a full 4 quarters.

I dont think LT played all that great in the 1st half (especially in the first quarter). IMO what ever level our OL performs LT will match: (right now) logan isnt that great of a passer/decision maker when under pressure, but when the OL can protect him he makes a lot of great reads and difficult throws. FWIW BC was blitzing a lot, it took as a little while to adjust but once we did i really liked the playcalling etc...

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure what was the problem tonight in the first half. I'm not sure if the team didn't seem very motivated to me, if the game plan/execution just wasn't there, or if BC's D was just playing very well..probably a combination of all of these. I am glad they made some good adjustments and got refocused at halftime because the first half the offense once again looked pretty flat. Several 3 and outs. Hopefully this is a bit of a wakeup call that we can't sleep on anyone (Duke and UVA included)..Defense played exceptional as usual (272 total yards)...Bonner played very well in Jayron's absence and the D line totally shut down any sort of running game BC tried to throw at us (91 yards total). All in all, very happy about the outcome, but as LT said in the postgame "We need to get going offensively, earlier"

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man whats up with all these injuries? Duke week couldnt have come at a better time. Hosley will probably be back, so thats good against Duke's passing game (cause thats all they can do)

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
INJURY REPORT:

Tweedy: High ankle sprain-undetermined

Hosley: Back monday

Exum: thigh bruise-not sure how serious.

Taylor: Foot sprain-has to have MRI

Gayle: Should be ready for Duke.

Last edited by a moderator:

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
More (not so serious) injuries:

James Brooks: Left Ankle
Boykin: Right quad bruise
Journell: Right quad strain
Tyrell Wilson: knee???
Danny Coale: Knee bruise
Nosal: ankle???

Sounds like BT's injury has to do with ligaments in the foot.
Tweedy in a boot.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
INJURY REPORT:

Tweedy: High ankle sprain-undetermined

Hosley: Back monday

Exum: thigh bruise-not sure how serious.

Taylor: Foot sprain-has to have MRI

Gayle: Should be ready for Duke.

More (not so serious) injuries:

James Brooks: Left Ankle
Boykin: Right quad bruise
Journell: Right quad strain
Tyrell Wilson: knee???
Danny Coale: Knee bruise
Nosal: ankle???

Sounds like BT's injury has to do with ligaments in the foot.
Tweedy in a boot.

To go along with hunzworth's info...

Game notes: Injuries continue to plague Virginia Tech's depleted defense - Roanoke.com

My question is (and I didn't even notice this during the game, missed the 1st few minutes) is why the hell was Gayle even playing???? Obviously if he "re-aggravated" his foot he wasn't 100%...Isn't that what we have McCray and Perez-Means for..or are we just lacking that much confidence in them??

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think LT played all that great in the 1st half (especially in the first quarter). IMO what ever level our OL performs LT will match: (right now) logan isnt that great of a passer/decision maker when under pressure, but when the OL can protect him he makes a lot of great reads and difficult throws. FWIW BC was blitzing a lot, it took as a little while to adjust but once we did i really liked the playcalling etc...
I think Thomas played OK in the second half, just had a lot balls sail on him. I think we've to start simpler on offense. I think we need to go with short routes and running plays and then open up the playbook. Thomas is turning out to be a pretty good QB but I think we're asking a bit too much to have him come back slinging medium and long routes. We tried to do too much in the first half and it hurt us.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BC may have a bad record, but their defense is good, well coached and loaded with very smart players. Got to give them some credit.
This. People always seem to equate results with effort and that is not the case. Offense is a very rhythmic type thing. It only takes a little bit and you are completely off. I agree that we need to start out better but that doesn't mean offense players are putting any effort out.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paging Jack Tyler and Chase Williams... you're up.