• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Game 2: Lions vs Commanders

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love me some Dan Skipper. No way should he have sent to the PS. Way too valuable and better than Nelson. Luckily no team snatched him up. Gonna need the starters versus the Vikings defense next week or we can count it as a loss.

On defense we should put Harris in nan coverage with a safety over the top shaded. He cant defend the deep routes.
I think Campbell spends his evenings spooning naked with Anzelone and Harris

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats guys

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be real clear here Lions fans. Swift absolutely saved Goff in this one. Momentum had shifted completely to the Commanders at the end and Goff tossed a ball at Swifts feet. Digging that ball up in a catch that most receivers could not make and then getting up to take it to the house for 22 yards saved it.

Play goes into the books as 22 yard TD throw for Goff, should go in as Swift saves Goff from blowing his last shot.

Between that throw and the horrific misfire to Chark on the 4th down pass I have serious concerns about how accurate Goff is. He had so many garbage throws in that game.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions officially tied with Chiefs as highest scoring offense in the league through 2 games.

Also second highest scoring defense. Unfortunately that one isn't supposed to be high as it means we're 31st in most points allowed.

I don't know if it's time to eat crow yet, but I can honestly say it's better than I expected the offense to be even once Jameson comes in.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben Johnson needs to try to keep Goff in an up-tempo game similar to drives 3-5 in the first half. I think Goff operates better in that mode than an offense that's snapping the ball under 5 seconds on the play clock.

from POD
But let’s look at a number that shows how effective Goff can be when running play-action, a place where he seems to be most comfortable. Goff had a 12.5 aDOT (average depth of target) on play-action passes, almost a full 4 yards more than he was in all other phases against the Commanders (8.8 aDOT). On play-action passes, Goff was 6-of-8 for 69 yards and two touchdowns on Sunday, so let’s hope Ben Johnson and Co. can continue to dial up those plays at the right time.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Sunday against the Commanders, Rodriguez’s average depth of tackle (aVDT) was just 1.3 yards in run defense. On 19 run defense snaps, Rodriguez had three stops (“tackles that constitute a ‘failure’ for the offense” per PFF) and tallied a team-high eight tackles and one quarterback hit.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
St. Brown had 11 touches on Sunday and seven of those plays went for 10+ yards, including six first downs, two touchdowns, and 184 yards of total offense.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okudah showed his willingness to mix it up as a run defender in the season opener, tallying 10 tackles and one defensive stop according to PFF. Against Washington, Okudah displayed his ability in coverage, giving up just three catches for 31 yards, and more importantly, keeping Terry McLaurin in check.

Okudah gave up just two catches for 22 yards against McLaurin, one of the top receivers in the NFL. McLaurin had success when lined up across from Mike Hughes—two catches for 53 yards—but credit to Okudah—and the pass rush—for helping keep one of the league’s best under wraps.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is exactly what was lacking from last year and hopefully they can continue - most likely not to this degree in games beyond.

The following from POD.

Speaking of that pass rush, there’s one last number we need to hone in for the Detroit Lions performance in Week 2.

The Lions defense generated 31 pressures against the Commanders and that’s no typo. Detroit’s defense put Wentz’s feet to the fire thirty-one times on Sunday and that’s something we haven’t seen from the Lions in over seven seasons. Detroit’s vaunted defense in 2014 had over 30 pressures just twice that season, and most recently in Week 14 of that year versus the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (32).

By no means am I suggesting this defense is going to be as disruptive as that group—the Lions had 317 pressures in 2014, for reference—but let’s compare this group to the team from a year ago. Detroit’s defense had 197 pressures last season, so the Lions have more than a quarter of the pressures they generated last season through just two weeks of 2022.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Mock Draft

Probably would cost 6 picks in total for this to happen.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At No.8, Rodriguez makes the Top 15 in week 1 and 2 for rookies
A former Ute LB was listed as No.1 overall for week 2.

8. LB MALCOLM RODRIGUEZ, DETROIT LIONS (73.4)

Rodriguez was one of the stars of Hard Knocks for good reason: the man knows ball. His instinctual play style has translated almost immediately to the NFL, and so far the size concerns that dropped him to the sixth round appear overblown, although he did miss two of his eight tackle attempts. His real impact came in coverage, where his three targets went for only 12 yards and no first downs.

8. LB MALCOLM RODRIGUEZ, DETROIT LIONS (74.2)

Rodriguez isn’t simply standing out for a rookie; he’s standing out among all starting linebackers. Through two weeks, his 76.7 overall grade ranks 10th among starting linebackers. Rodriguez racked up four more defensive stops against the Commanders in Week 2.

G DAN SKIPPER, DETROIT LIONS

The key to building a winning culture in the NFL is having lesser-known players step up and perform well. That was the case for the Lions on Sunday, as they were decimated by injuries along the offensive line. That forced 6-foot-10 offensive tackle Dan Skipper to slot in at left guard, a position he never played in the NFL or in college.

Skipper is a 28-year-old undrafted free agent signed and waived by the Dallas Cowboys in 2017. Since entering the NFL, he had played just 166 snaps before Sunday. But he was on the field for 68 snaps in Week 2, finishing with a solid 66.8 grade.

Skipper did allow a few pressures and a sack that came on a delayed stunt. But he was fantastic in the run game as the Lions ran for 191 yards. After the game, head coach Dan Campbell presented Skipper with the game ball for his admirable performance.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At No.8, Rodriguez makes the Top 15 in week 1 and 2 for rookies
A former Ute LB was listed as No.1 overall for week 2.

8. LB MALCOLM RODRIGUEZ, DETROIT LIONS (73.4)

Rodriguez was one of the stars of Hard Knocks for good reason: the man knows ball. His instinctual play style has translated almost immediately to the NFL, and so far the size concerns that dropped him to the sixth round appear overblown, although he did miss two of his eight tackle attempts. His real impact came in coverage, where his three targets went for only 12 yards and no first downs.

8. LB MALCOLM RODRIGUEZ, DETROIT LIONS (74.2)

Rodriguez isn’t simply standing out for a rookie; he’s standing out among all starting linebackers. Through two weeks, his 76.7 overall grade ranks 10th among starting linebackers. Rodriguez racked up four more defensive stops against the Commanders in Week 2.

G DAN SKIPPER, DETROIT LIONS

The key to building a winning culture in the NFL is having lesser-known players step up and perform well. That was the case for the Lions on Sunday, as they were decimated by injuries along the offensive line. That forced 6-foot-10 offensive tackle Dan Skipper to slot in at left guard, a position he never played in the NFL or in college.

Skipper is a 28-year-old undrafted free agent signed and waived by the Dallas Cowboys in 2017. Since entering the NFL, he had played just 166 snaps before Sunday. But he was on the field for 68 snaps in Week 2, finishing with a solid 66.8 grade.

Skipper did allow a few pressures and a sack that came on a delayed stunt. But he was fantastic in the run game as the Lions ran for 191 yards. After the game, head coach Dan Campbell presented Skipper with the game ball for his admirable performance.
Lloyd doing exactly what we thought he would. I would say Rodriguez in the 6th is better than Lloyd in the first on a value standpoint. Got to love that. Let's hope Campbell finally moves Anzalone to the bench.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
11 for 11, and he sucks?
Yes. He has been very close to missing a lot of XP. He cant kick straight. Eventually he will miss a bunch FG. Only 2-2 and both less than 50.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tbh, watching every kick by Seibert is an adventure. The ball has an immediate quick slice to the right then a quick hook to the left and sort of straightens out.

He doesn't suck though as grumpy @Old Lion states. At least not yet.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goff needs to start getting into a more up tempo and better rhythm early on that what has happened dating back to last year's last 6 games and into the first two games of this season.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cominsky out for a while due to thumb surgery. He's not going to the IR as of this time.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goff needs to start getting into a more up tempo and better rhythm early on that what has happened dating back to last year's last 6 games and into the first two games of this season.

This highlights the flaw in the system. Swift saved a killed drive, avoids 3 tackles and scores a TD, and Goff gets credit for a 22 yard TD on 3rd and 15. It was a garbage throw, like all his throws are with minimal pressure. Goff statistically is getting good credit for terrible throws.

I am genuinely worried that his significant short comings will be ignored and we will extend him and cap our ceiling before we even really got started.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, zone defense did hurt, but Okudah went out for quite a few plays due to cramps just like last week. Harris playing for Amani hurts every which way you can think of. He gave up multiple deep routes - AGAIN. - but he surprisingly grabbed the tipped pass deep for an Int.

D-Line wasn't nearly effective creating pressure and collapsing the pocket in the 2nd half as they were in the 1st half. Hell, Wentz nearly had a lesser version of impersonating Hurts in the 2nd half. Missed tackles by Rodrig, Anzalone, Board, Elliot and Walker didn't help.

Hutch was done at the end of the first half with that upper right leg injury. he was merely a body present in the 2nd half.

Against Philly Hutch was getting pressure on Hurts, but with nobody on the other side Hurts was able to either run for yardage or scramble and buy time to hit Brown.

Against Wash in the first half it seemed like Hutch was in the backfield every play. Causing Wentz to get happy feet and throw the ball off location if he got rid of it. In the second half with a Hutch that was basically a decoy, there was no pass rush and Wentz like most NFL QBs with time will pick you apart.

At some point NFL offenses will recognize that Detroit has Hutch and nothing else on the DLine. They will figure out a plan to slow Hutch down and then the D will really get picked apart. I made a joke about us having half a defense after the Philly game, but after the Wash game I think it is Hutch and can anybody help Hutch.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This highlights the flaw in the system. Swift saved a killed drive, avoids 3 tackles and scores a TD, and Goff gets credit for a 22 yard TD on 3rd and 15. It was a garbage throw, like all his throws are with minimal pressure. Goff statistically is getting good credit for terrible throws.

It's a good thing that I never once witnessed Stafford do nearly the same during his 13-year career and was given credit.

I am genuinely worried that his significant short comings will be ignored, and we will extend him and cap our ceiling before we even really got started.

I'm not on the Goff train in hopes that Holmes re-signs him, but I damn for sure wouldn't like to witness 5-6 draft picks given up obtaining a rookie QB in 2023.