• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Future of the ACC?

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howdy fellas, since VT predominately has the most posters of the ACC schools, I figured I'd stop by and get some input from ya'll on the recent expansion SportsHoopla. As a long-time Tiger fan, I find it difficult to stomach the fact that the ACC has not been proactive in advancing football since expansion, nor have they been proactive about expanding further. I would welcome any chance Clemson has to exit the league, but the more I think about it, it may serve our best interest to stay put and add to the ACC instead. How do ya'll feel about it? Are you willing to stick it out with the ACC provided we can actually become proactive in regards to football?

If FSU, VT, Clemson (assuming we can ever actually string together 10 win seasons), and potentially a combination of UNC/Miami/NC State/Maryland/GT can be consistently ranked I strongly feel the ACC has the potential to become a strong football conference. What worries me is if a combination of FSU, VT, Clemson, and/or NC State get poached by the SEC and VT, Maryland, and/or GT get poached by the Big Ten we would be forced to merge with the Big East just to survive. I do like the ACC as it stands, but if one of the top teams is gone, I'm not sure the league has staying power.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have talked about this before, but I think that the ACC is in better shape than it appears. The problem on the football end is a total lack of good coaching, across the board. Look at recruiting rankings. ACC schools are right up there. If VT continues to be who they are (and I don't see any reason tothink they won't), FSU continues to rise and Miami, Clemson and UNC can get coaches in that can get their players to produce consistently, we could easily be a top twit conference.

We are not the Big East. We are not the Big XII. Financially, things have never been better, it has just been a drought on the field. If the big players in the ACC can come to some agreement and shut out he SEC, I would be all for it. Lock down Virginia and North Carolina as recruiting grounds. Keep our interests in the Florida area and own the mid-Atlantic.

I also agree that expansion is a must. I would make one IMMEDIATE move. I would approach Pittsburgh and West Virginia. Pitt, with it's history, facilities and western PA footprint is a key for the ACC. he B1G wants them also, but they want to stick with WVU. We can offer that. WVU has two natural rivals in the ACC in Maryland and Virginia Tech.

Add those two and then wait and see a bit. Maybe we can get Notre Dame. Maybe not. If push comes to shove, we head north and add UConn and Cuse or Rutgers and have a good football conference and a basketball conference that is dominant.

1. Shore up what we have. If FSU or Clemson bolts, all bets are off and I will be hoping for VT to leave.

2. Add Pitt, and the Western PA recruiting ground which is one ofthe best in the country. Take WVU if it means getting Pitt.

3. Wait...

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also would like to add that I feel no particular allegiance to the ACC and do not expect Swofford and the tobacco road cabal to do anything like this.

I would trade late fall afternoons at Lane against Wake Forest, UNC, Maryland and NC State for ones against Florida, Georgia, LSU, Penn State, Wisconsin, Nebraska or Michigan in a heartbeat.

The ACC never wanted us and they treat us as such.

I know that Clemson fans can relate.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, I totally agree with your second post... I do not think the ACC is being proactive and will likely be too little too late if the Big East is being aggressive. Rumors are running rampant with very little solid information to go on, and it looks like A&M will be held up from leaving the Big 12 until Oklahoma/Texas make decisions. I would love to stay with VT and FSU, but if the SEC does not want us, I do not want to go where we are not wanted, but I definitely don't want to be in a conference without FSU and VT.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind expanding north at all; we are the Atlantic Coast Conference after all, and even though Clemson does fit culturally more with the SEC, getting Pitt/WVU/ND/UConn would bring BC a little closer to the geographical center, and would vastly increase our market. It will be interesting to see what the BE does pertaining to basketball; if they expand football, the basketball conference would drastically change as I seriously doubt they would allow teams like DePaul and St Johns to continue as basketball-only members.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have talked about this before, but I think that the ACC is in better shape than it appears. The problem on the football end is a total lack of good coaching, across the board.

I couldn't agree more that the ACC is stable and can be a successful conference if some programs improve. I think the ACC is where we belong, as long as it remains intact. As you said, if FSU or Clemson bolts, I don't want us staying behind in a dying conference.

You said you don't really see this northern expansion happening. Do you think if the "super conference" movement was picking up speed, Swofford would pull the trigger and add teams like WVU and Pitt?

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one refreshing thing aboutthe SEC is they teall really want VT. I was in Blacksburg this past weekend and talked to a couple of people in the know, and they want the Hokies and Aggies bad right now. It feels nice to actually be pursued.

As for the academic stuff that people talk about, that is all bullshit. I work in academia at a Big East school and we have grants with schools all over the country on all levels and in all sports conferences. Who you play football with does not in any way affect who you do research with. I am on two grants right now with two big ten schools, a pac twelve school, an ivy league school and an ACC school.

Sports and academics are completely separate, at least in my field.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't agree more that the ACC is stable and can be a successful conference if some programs improve. I think the ACC is where we belong, as long as it remains intact. As you said, if FSU or Clemson bolts, I don't want us staying behind in a dying conference.

You said you don't really see this northern expansion happening. Do you think if the "super conference" movement was picking up speed, Swofford would pull the trigger and add teams like WVU and Pitt?

I hope so but I don't think he would.

Even if they do...just imagine the gameday atmosphere week in and week out in the SEC or B1G....chills....

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I maintain that the ACC will remain intact for the short term future: no additions or subtractions. Further, if the rest of the conference stays intact, I see almost no chance Virginia Tech leaves.

Long term, I could see some changes, including ACC expansion with the Big East, depending on other conferences actually acting on these rumors. The Big Ten and SEC will take advantage of opportunities, like A&M, but I really doubt they are looking to "raid" a conference, especially being the first to do so. I think, if a significant number of schools in the SEC are truly against inviting Clemson and Florida State, the Carolina and Virginia schools will feel safe and tend to stick with together with them (although everyone has their price). In that case, the most vulnerable member to a loss is Maryland to the Big Ten, only because they have extremely serious financial issues.

An ACC that includes Florida State, Clemson, and Virginia Tech in football, with Duke North Carolina, and Maryland in basketball is a viable conference. I'll argue that, overall, the current 12 team alignment could even survive a 16 member world, if the right things fell in place. There's been a drought, yes, but the middle class revenue teams, and the underachivers can rise up again. We've got a few top programs, some good rivalries, and a lot of talent and competition. As soon as the coaching and admin gets their act together again, we fans will be quite happy in the ACC.

I have no sources or inside information. These are all my opinion.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Im perfectly fine with the ACC as long as it stays intact. The thing that worries me is that (geographically) i dont think the SEC could expand without taking 1 or 2 ACC teams. VT may one of the first offered but i dont think they'd be the first to "jump ship" and could end up "holding the bag". <----that is the scenario that scares me the most, we stay to show our loyalty to the ACC. Then other teams IE clemson, miami, gt, or FSU bolt, leaving us in a crap conference.

I think that with all the talk of the "mega conferences" it is only a matter of time before they become reality. IMO the ACC needs to be proactive and become one of the first to get to 16, Instead of waiting to be picked apart or (best case) having only leftovers to pick from.

I'd like to see the ACC add :

Notre Dame: Let them keep their tv money (at least for now), but they would have to share any bowl winnings etc etc. I dont really think that hurts the rest of the conference especially since ND is a national name and recruits as such. (btw not really the topic for this thread but i have multiple reasons why i think ND needs to join a conference eventually anyway and with the mega conference thing looking like a reality those reasons are multiplied)

Pitt: a good school with great football tradition and name recogniton.

WVU: More or less just to get Pitt <--- i really couldnt care less about WVU if we could get pitt without taking them.

I honestly dont have a fouth team (tx?) but i wouldnt want syracuse, uconn, or any of the northern BE teams. I think Louisville would be a better option or possible even south florida. <---- i realize that SF would prob get a lot of resistance from FSU/UM, really just throwing a name out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
personally, if the ACC expands, i wouldnt mind WVU & Pitt....but i think we could do a little better than UCONN and Syracuse

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having the SEC really wanting us will make it tough for the administration to walk away from I think since there will be atleast $4million more in line. One thing I will say is I think they will have to add on to Lane. Not so much for more noise but for more money. The SEC schools fill 85k-100k seat stadiums each week. 30k X $50 X 6 games is a good chunk of change. Add in the additional revenue from food and drink from those 30k fans and you are close to an extra million a year. It will be more attractive for recruits as well.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is sad that this all comes down to Swofford. As long as he is the head of the ACC, we will be reactive instead of proactive. I would love us to go grab Pitt/WVU right now to jump to 14, but I don't see it happening any time soon. I'm not sure how realistic the chances are, but the Big East may be making moves first to grab left over Big XII teams. If they expand before us, teams like Pitt, WVU, and UCONN may not want to leave anymore.

Swofford and the NC schools are the main reason I would like to see VT go to the SEC if they get an offer. Swofford is a terrible commissioner and unless they really show they want to keep VT, we should leave.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Having the SEC really wanting us will make it tough for the administration to walk away from I think since there will be atleast $4million more in line. One thing I will say is I think they will have to add on to Lane. Not so much for more noise but for more money. The SEC schools fill 85k-100k seat stadiums each week. 30k X $50 X 6 games is a good chunk of change. Add in the additional revenue from food and drink from those 30k fans and you are close to an extra million a year. It will be more attractive for recruits as well.

IDK just forming an opinion from i what ive read and heard multiple places, but i think we are a lot closer to seeing the ACC expand than we are to seeing VT in the SEC.

sidenote: if we end up "holding the bag" in a crap conference, get ready to go back to the old days of 30k empty seats in lane. Especially considering all this talk comes on the eve of another seating reassignment.

Last edited by a moderator:

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I read an article somewhere where even Weaver said (and recognized) that Lane would have to be expanded if we moved to the SEC. I will look for a link when I'm not at work.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I read an article somewhere where even Weaver said (and recognized) that Lane would have to be expanded if we moved to the SEC. I will look for a link when I'm not at work.

i know that at least part of that interview was in the Roanoke Times

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stadium expansion would be interesting. Our location does not suit a 90k seat stadium, and I know Weaver and co. want to keep demand > supply. If we end up having more seats than people for those seats, we would see donations fall greatly. I've heard Clemson has this problem.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Stadium expansion would be interesting. Our location does not suit a 90k seat stadium, and I know Weaver and co. want to keep demand > supply. If we end up having more seats than people for those seats, we would see donations fall greatly. I've heard Clemson has this problem.

Right. I've read somewhere, that Weaver favors an "Indianapolis Colts" (or in CFB, Nebraska) model. Don't max out seats, but increase amenities and demand to force the price of tickets (or in this case donation levels) up. Ensure that you always sell out, and tickets are a prize to come by, unless you donate boatloads.

In contrast, you have a Jacksonville Jags plan (or Miami Hurricanes), where you overbuild, ensuring you will not exceed demand. However, the value of the tickets, especially on the open market, are greatly deminished when there are thousands of unsold seats.

75,000 might be the best max capacity for a future Lane, which happens to be about where I peg the ultimate North buildout, plus upgrades, anyway.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
75,000 might be the best max capacity for a future Lane, which happens to be about where I peg the ultimate North buildout, plus upgrades, anyway.

75k to 80k at most with 80k REALLY pushing the envelope.

The only way Tech can justify higher numbers at lane is if the Virginia Tech Montgomery Executive Airport is seriously upgraded to handle more traffic and bigger planes. Blacksburg would also have to build more hotels closer to the airport to accommodate more fans. Shuttle services would also have to be built up to get fans to/from Lane.

vtnuclearhokie

Pronounced Nuke-u-ler
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the hypothetical situation of going to the SEC and building out the stadium, adding on 15-25k seats, you also have to think that there will be a need for more rooms in the surrounding NRV to hold people for games. It will be a big commitment from both the school and the surrounding community.

With all of that said, my gut feeling is that VT will accept an invitation as the 14th team in the SEC and officially join for the start of the 2013 season (SEC said they would be fine with an unbalanced 13 team configuration for one year).