• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agent thread

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@LWM

That Ola kid playing RT was same style guy. PS kid bouncing around. He got signed and played great late last year. Just like Wilson the DT. Really never know when a kid is ready to perform at this level.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fairly wont be getting many millions that is for sure. He did nothing last year. Most consider him a rotational guy now. In Austins system is where he would have the most value though.

You better watch yourself, folks here still defend him. Kid had great talent and no drive. Which IMO means he is a first round bust. I'm still waiting to see his greatness. He had one great game in Detroit when Suh was suspended and never saw that again.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Ola kid playing RT was same style guy. PS kid bouncing around. He got signed and played great late last year. Just like Wilson the DT. Really never know when a kid is ready to perform at this level.

Most games I get to see are on the internet (choppy sometimes very choppy) and if I'm working I don't get to see those games. If it's televised I can record it and watch it later or over & over during football withdrawal. It puts me at a disadvantage living out west when the Lions are having losing seasons and I might only get to record the Thanksgiving game. What I see and what you guys talk about doesn't always add up. Not to mention you guys are always divided on just about everything. But, I've seen a lot of likes from a few of you on Ola.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That stat line says he's a ST player with not much upside to be a starter IMO. I don't hold any GM accountable for the off season moves to fill the 90 man. It's the moves come 3/15 I will watch of Quinn.

Seems to me a new GM would want to challenge his starters for their starting positions instead of using Millen's philosophy of a patch job by filling in holes.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems to me a new GM would want to challenge his starters for their starting positions instead of using Millen's philosophy of a patch job by filling in holes.

True, a lot of these guys will be gone in August.

Like the new Av by the way.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, a lot of these guys will be gone in August.

Signing guys just to cut them later on is another one of Millen's philosophies. Sorry if I sound mean towards BQ, but this crap of being a Schedule filler every year isn't getting any brighter with moves like these, IMHO.

Like the new Av by the way.

Thanks, me too. Found it in a search of "Detroit Lions Logo Pictures"

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take off the 'instant gratification' glasses and be glad we have a GM that isn't looking to make an immediate splash just to impress everyone.

Linebacker is a position that crashed and burned with Levy. Tulloch is on his last legs. Signing depth early means he gets some of the best unattached free agents. OT is another position that needs depth. And the longer free agents have to wait, the less the asking price. If he goes out to sign the best early on, he's going to pay more. Be patient and don't worry about what you miss out on. He's got the coaching staff in place that went 6-2 the 2nd half. All he needs to do is stabilize a couple of positions, improve on one or two, and the Lions are contenders for the division. I like what this Jim Bob is doing.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like what this Jim Bob is doing.

I can't help but to think about what Matthew Stafford's record is against teams with a winning record at the end of the season in reading that. Packers were the only team with a winning record outside of a bomb shell hitting the team just before making their way to London to play the Chiefs without Lombardi. Lombardi was able to split with the Packers too. But, I don't believe Lombardi would've sent Joique Bell in for three straight running plays when the Lions needed a first down for a Victory Knee in the loss against the Packers at home that made the BEST play of the year by Aaron Rodgers Hail Mary.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Every team does this though. Go look at a transaction wire and you see unknowns always being signed this time of year. Challenging your starters is done in the FA period and the draft. Then signing some UDFA afterwards.

Go look at who you perceive to be the best GM and you will see he signs John Doe also. Millen drafted and signed John Doe for all the above I mentioned. That I will give you.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most games I get to see are on the internet (choppy sometimes very choppy) and if I'm working I don't get to see those games. If it's televised I can record it and watch it later or over & over during football withdrawal. It puts me at a disadvantage living out west when the Lions are having losing seasons and I might only get to record the Thanksgiving game. What I see and what you guys talk about doesn't always add up. Not to mention you guys are always divided on just about everything. But, I've seen a lot of likes from a few of you on Ola.

I'm much like you also, I work a 8 days on and 7 off. I tape a lot also. Live in Iowa so I don't get home market games. Some are NFL recap games. Just like you I read the game thread and look for it in the game.

Ohh, and it would suck if me and Swarm agreed on er'thing. Just flat out suck.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every team does this though. Go look at a transaction wire and you see unknowns always being signed this time of year. Challenging your starters is done in the FA period and the draft. Then signing some UDFA afterwards.

Go look at who you perceive to be the best GM and you will see he signs John Doe also. Millen drafted and signed John Doe for all the above I mentioned. That I will give you.

Please, there may not be much time left to bitch about the Lions Organization any more. j/k were talking about the Lions here. When was the last time you seen a HC for the Lions come out and have a winning season after the fan base has called for his head? Players of BQ's picks that you were hoping to see play so you could make an evaluation don't and become the next HC's problem leaving the fan base hanging. Sorry if I sound like johnny rain cloud, but were not going anywhere adding Depth without upgrading the Starters.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't help but to think about what Matthew Stafford's record is against teams with a winning record at the end of the season in reading that.

Hasn't this been the case his whole career though?

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL.com's Rand Getlin reports the salary cap is expected to increase to "at least" $155 million in 2016.

It was $143.28 million in 2015. The number is tied to league revenues. Agents have likely had a general idea of what the cap will be for some time, and factored it into calculations about whether or not to take their clients to the open market.

Source: Rand Getlin on Twitter

For the first time since I can remember.... The Lions are flush with cash. Hope this new guy spends wisely and signs a bunch of mid-level guys for depth. It's the teams that are most deep and can live through injuries is the teams that go deep in the playoffs.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am worried that teams will start filtering in Cap increases now years before they happen. That could be disastrous because I think the NFL has peaked. Lots of issues with the front office overstepping and the officiating falling off a cliff. Not to mention the rules have become a tangled web of nonsense. I know I am not watching nearly as much and I doubt I am the only one.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hasn't this been the case his whole career though?
Too many variables...
Stafford behind the Offensive Line ~
Looked good in the passing game without much of a running game.
Looks out of rhythm a lot when they try to force the running game.
Conspiracy theory ~
Plays great in up tempo but not so good in clock management. Like it's scripted
Officials dictating games with their game changing calls. Rolls over and dies

I'm stunned by all the teams that have made the Super Bowl exactly 3 years after having Blackouts. And the Lions only do enough to sell tickets.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Olivier Vernon offseason saga about to begin | Miami Dolphins In Depth

The floor is no longer $12 million per year. He's going to land in the $14-$15 million per year range APY one way or another -- either by signing a deal with the Dolphins, signing a deal with another team in free agency, or getting tagged.

:confused: (Not a good sign for the Ziggy contract)

Might be a good idea to extend earlier than later. I know some want to watch another season and or having the tag option. Two years from now his price could be crazy high.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's old but i'd still love to have him he is my 2nd favorite receiver ever(Herman Moore is 1st)

I mentioned this possibility to Gandy and Smitty a little while back. I didn't get much feedback from either. I would love to have AB as a replacement over Lance Moore. At least for a couple of years. He's one WR that is willing to and knows how to block in run plays and uses his body to blockout DB's when in routes and with credible hands.

I'd still want Gandy's favorite in Marvin Jones as another FA signing plus a draftable WR somewhere after the 3rd round comp pick.

Thank you for bringing AB to light.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd still want Gandy's favorite in Marvin Jones as another FA signing plus a draftable WR somewhere after the 3rd round comp pick.

I'd be fine with AB, I've been locked in on Jones all off season.

3rd rd kid could be the kid from CO St. Haggans or Higgins. He may move up though with a thin WR crop coming out.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be fine with AB, I've been locked in on Jones all off season.

3rd rd kid could be the kid from CO St. Haggans or Higgins. He may move up though with a thin WR crop coming out.

Also, Illinois kid WR Geronimo Allison... just athrow in.. 6'3 200 and huge hands..

I do like Higgins as well though but he's pretty damn lean... stick like (like b_blue)