• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Franklin Gutierrez

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably true but once you release Weeks you are rolling the dice on Guti with no backup plan unless people are thinking Quentin is an OF still.

See I think there is a built in backup plan already. These are our outfielders currently: Jackson, Ackley, Smith, Cruz, Ruggiano and Weeks. That is 6 guys that can play the outfield in some form or another plus Bloomquist has experience in the outfield.
So for this scenario Weeks is cut Guti replaces him. You still have 6 outfielders. Guti gets hurt, no big deal because we still have 5 other guys that can play the OF without even calling Tacoma. Plus the hypothetical Guti/Weeks roster spot is a backup/platoon role anyway, I personally wouldn't have an issue rolling the dice. But I also understand the thinking in keeping things the way they are for now. I also don't think replacing Weeks is all the urgent right now and I would rather see how durable Guti is while he is in AAA

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
worst case backup plan would be to recall Jones I suppose. At least he brings a speed element...just spit balling ideas because I don't really see Weeks having any value. His awful bat doesn't mask his terrible defense in the OF.

Can't argue that. Jones scares me on defense as well, but not Weeks level scariness. But I do miss his speed element as a late inning pinch runner. He could make things happen there almost at an All-Star level (if base stealing had an All-Star level).

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See I think there is a built in backup plan already. These are our outfielders currently: Jackson, Ackley, Smith, Cruz, Ruggiano and Weeks. That is 6 guys that can play the outfield in some form or another plus Bloomquist has experience in the outfield.
So for this scenario Weeks is cut Guti replaces him. You still have 6 outfielders. Guti gets hurt, no big deal because we still have 5 other guys that can play the OF without even calling Tacoma. Plus the hypothetical Guti/Weeks roster spot is a backup/platoon role anyway, I personally wouldn't have an issue rolling the dice. But I also understand the thinking in keeping things the way they are for now. I also don't think replacing Weeks is all the urgent right now and I would rather see how durable Guti is while he is in AAA

I get your point. Maybe they would be fine if they lose Weeks and then Guti numbers wise. Now looking at what you laid out, I would actually be more interested in Taylor replacing Weeks, but I feel if anyone replaces Weeks within the next couple of weeks it would be Quentin.

I don't want any part of minor league OF's right now. Jones maybe if you have room on the roster for a pure pinch runner only type. He scares me doing anything else.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get your point. Maybe they would be fine if they lose Weeks and then Guti numbers wise. Now looking at what you laid out, I would actually be more interested in Taylor replacing Weeks, but I feel if anyone replaces Weeks within the next couple of weeks it would be Quentin.

I don't want any part of minor league OF's right now. Jones maybe if you have room on the roster for a pure pinch runner only type. He scares me doing anything else.
I hear you. It should be interesting when roster moves start to happen, if they do. I get the feeling from the front office and from LMC that Weeks is here to stay.
I think i have seen 4 or 5 Quentin AB's since he has been to Tacoma. Jury still out for me.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just as concerned about a replacement for Morrison.

2 extra base hits in a month, and an OPS+ of 41 is astonishing. On the other hand, the K rate is okay, and he makes solid contact quite a bit.

I think that the whole "hard hit" ball excuse wears thin quickly, though. Use of SABR stats has gotten so ubiquitous, managers now do mini-shifts for all of their infielders and outfielders based on years of opponent hitting data. It doesn't matter how "hard hit" the ball is if LoMo keeps hitting to the same expected place every time. If a player actually robs him of a hit with some outstanding D, then that's different, of course.

I think they've got to give him a couple more weeks, at a minimum, to figure out if he can get through this. If he doesn't, we'll see the contingencies the front office has in place soon enough.