• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Former Saints DL Will Smith shot and killed tonight

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New security footage shows Smith did bump Hayes Hummer and then drive away. So Smith was guilty of hit and run. Didn't deserve a death sentence over it though. All Hayes had to do was call 911 and report the hit and run and let the police handle it, but of course it's New Orleans so you can't let your gansta cred lose any points and you have to pull out your handgun and start blasting. Crazy.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New security footage shows Smith did bump Hayes Hummer and then drive away. So Smith was guilty of hit and run. Didn't deserve a death sentence over it though. All Hayes had to do was call 911 and report the hit and run and let the police handle it, but of course it's New Orleans so you can't let your gansta cred lose any points and you have to pull out your handgun and start blasting. Crazy.

Hayes is claiming to have called 911 after the hit & run. We'll see where that goes.

It looked like a brake check to me. I think he knew exactly who was in that car, and exactly what he wanted to do to them.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hayes is claiming to have called 911 after the hit & run. We'll see where that goes.

It looked like a brake check to me. I think he knew exactly who was in that car, and exactly what he wanted to do to them.

Yup, kind of a brake check move. Even if he did call 911 that doesn't get him off the hook in my books. The point of calling 911 is to get help from police/fire/ambulance. Hayes will have a tough time saying he felt like he was in mortal danger considering he was driving at the time and could have escaped in a dozen different directions and let the police deal with it. I think he's cooked.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, kind of a brake check move. Even if he did call 911 that doesn't get him off the hook in my books. The point of calling 911 is to get help from police/fire/ambulance. Hayes will have a tough time saying he felt like he was in mortal danger considering he was driving at the time and could have escaped in a dozen different directions and let the police deal with it. I think he's cooked.

Agree. This excerpt from the story confuses me:

Hayes' lawyer insists his client wasn't the aggressor in the incident but the victim of a hit-and-run. "Someone hit him, the person failed to pull over," the attorney, John Fuller, told reporters. "My client trailed behind this person in an effort to get this license plate number. My client also called 911."

Police say the two men did exchange words, after which shots were fired. One person called 911 to report, according to dispatch audio, "there's a male down with about six gun wounds to the chest." That referred to Smith. His wife was shot in the right leg.

How in the hell does Hayes' lawyer hope to make a case for his client if he is using this type of logic? Like you mentioned he could have easily taken off in a different direction. At worst Hayes suffered minor car body damage & a blow to his ego. That is not worth injuring or killing someone or risking the same for yourself.

Beyond that - why did he have to follow through to the pt of firing multiple shots & why shoot the wife? Any jury that lets this guy off should be completely ashamed of itself.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugghh, terrible news.

So sad for his family.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. This excerpt from the story confuses me:

Hayes' lawyer insists his client wasn't the aggressor in the incident but the victim of a hit-and-run. "Someone hit him, the person failed to pull over," the attorney, John Fuller, told reporters. "My client trailed behind this person in an effort to get this license plate number. My client also called 911."

Police say the two men did exchange words, after which shots were fired. One person called 911 to report, according to dispatch audio, "there's a male down with about six gun wounds to the chest." That referred to Smith. His wife was shot in the right leg.

How in the hell does Hayes' lawyer hope to make a case for his client if he is using this type of logic? Like you mentioned he could have easily taken off in a different direction. At worst Hayes suffered minor car body damage & a blow to his ego. That is not worth injuring or killing someone or risking the same for yourself.

Beyond that - why did he have to follow through to the pt of firing multiple shots & why shoot the wife? Any jury that lets this guy off should be completely ashamed of itself.

Firing multiple shots into the car, killing the driver and wounding his wife makes Hayes the aggressor. The police aren't going to give a shit about the rear-ending once that gun comes out.

Hayes will be welcome to non-stop rear-ending once convicted.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've seen some speculation that Smith was reaching for his weapon when Hayes shot him. I'm sure that will be in his defense anyways.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've seen some speculation that Smith was reaching for his weapon when Hayes shot him. I'm sure that will be in his defense anyways.

Hayes case at this pt seems very weak. Look at the footage. His attorney calls it a "hit and run". It appears that Smith's car barely touches the bumper of Hayes' vehicle. His attorney then states that he tries to get the license plate # and call 911 after Smith did not pull over. Hayes appears to definitely be close enough to get the tag #.

It should end their. Does this minor hit and run give Hayes justification to take out a weapon & shoot someone? What is this - the wild west? At worst it appears that Smith might have reached for a gun but even if that is the case does this allow Hayes to fire a half dozen shots including several at Smith's wife?

If they let this guy walk this will set a very dangerous precedent for future people involved in similar situations.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "accident" in that video definitely looks like an intentional brake check.

Even if it wasn't, the fact that Will was shot & killed in his car pretty much makes any defense to him being killed likely unsuccessful.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More Guns!

Give em out

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Coroner: Smith shot 8 times; 7 times in back

Wow - must be pretty easy to become a lawyer in N.O. since both of the defendant's lawyers appear to be morons. According to the attached Hayes must be a hero at least 8 times over. No doubt Smith continued to be a threat even after being shot 6-7 times - how the F does that happen?

Also - why didn't Mr. HERO simply get the license #, call 911 & just drive away from Smith? Why did he have to approach his vehicle & him in an aggressive manner? Hopefully Mr. HERO spends the rest of his life in prison.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why was Smith "going for his gun"? Did Hayes already show his gun and that's why Smith went for his? Or is Hayes a quick draw artist who only pulled his out and shot first after seeing Smith was already holding a gun? He must be awfully fast if he can get off 10 shots before Smith can pull his trigger even once. Things that make you go...hmmm.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ed Zachary. why was he suddenly stopping like he did? I get a guy on my ass on the highway I might flash the brake lights, but no way I stop dead.....

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haynes self defense stance may get him off, or at least a reduced sentence.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haynes self defense stance may get him off, or at least a reduced sentence.
Seems pretty clear he'll beat the big charge at this point. Hayes armed himself - another matter. Smith saying, "I have a gun too" and going for it, cost him his life. The problem with pulling a gun, once you do, you may be put in a situation where you have to use it.
I would not pull a gun in this situation - but if I did, once Smith went for his, I would have unloaded on anybody / everybody going for the other gun.
If you are holding a gun and somebody is going for theirs, they are going to kill you. Self defense.
Guns and alcohol do not mix.