• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Former MLB star Paul O' Neil interested in Cincinnati Reds managerial job

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,968.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After finishing his playing career, Paul O'Neill returned to the New York Yankees as a broadcaster. Now, he is interested in another possible homecoming with the other team he played for, the Cincinnati Reds.

But, this time, it would be as the team's manager.

"I would love to sit down and find out what their thoughts are," O'Neill told ESPN New York on Wednesday evening. "There are basically two organizations in my life, the Reds and the Yankees. Anytime you live in the city, you understand and see what happens in an organization."

Source: ESPN New York

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im interested too, but so far Walt hasn't called me. Barry Larkin said similar to O'Niell, and there are probably more people interested in that job than could be fitted into GABP.

Not to cast stones, but if these guys thought they might want to manage, they probably needed to take off the tie, take a minor league job and get their feet wet and throttle hands dirty. I sense a little bit of "entitlement" from done of these guys that might think an on field staff job making a fraction of their former salary, and possibly more important, out of the limelight in some Pudunk town, is beneath them.

Dusty may be a good example that just because you were a player, it doesn't make up for the managerial skills you don't have or attempt to acquire. Just saying, I think a little experience might look good on a résumé.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure Paul O'Neil is a good decision. Need a seasoned, proven guy that can teach and lead.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Kirk Gibson...a little but of Red-Azz, a Sparky disciple, a leader, etc...a player of note, with minimal coaching experience before managing. He's not a candidate that im aware if, but just an example that a guy like O'Neill or Larkin could have become a possibility if they had made an inclination toward the bench before a prime spot was open.

This is going to be a tough interview process, probably not real quick. Jocketty is in the hot seat now, so he needs to get THE guy he feels is best fit for him and the Reds, not just a compromise hire like Dusty was.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be a little hesitant to hire a former player with no managerial experience. This team is too talented, and our window of success is too small for that. You or I could at least manage this team to be a playoff contender with our roster alone. You really don't know how successful they are.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure if Paul O'Neil is ready to manage but I think he would make an amazing hitting coach. The guy was the best hitter on the some of the best teams ever. He should get his feet wet in a lower position like that before trying to step up and run a team.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Managers interviews with engaged GM's like Jocketty, will get into the whole 9 yards- obviously previous experience, but personality, work ethic, exposé any skeletons in the closet, and philosophy- specific to "baseball 101", sabermetrics, and specifics of pitching, hitting, defense and baserunning. Discussions about potential staff and/or others to replace them will come up. The Reds specific roster and potential changes and how the potential manager sees that will be evaluated. Jocketty will have an idea of how he believes it should work, and he needs to get a feel for buy in or opposition to that plan- something of a sore spot with Dusty, even after they were both very familiar with the players. It's tougher for a manager than hadn't managed them, watched them everyday, etc. in those regards, a guy already in the organization has bigger scope of knowledge- a Riggleman or maybe even David Bell- who spent several years climbing the Reds minor league system. If you are interviewing a guy with a lot of experience with varied rosters, and can show success with a similar roster makeup, or better, with several different roster makeups, it's more comfortable for a GM, I would think.

The Reds job is a highly desirable one, but one now, with very different expectations than when Dusty was hired. It takes a guy that can thrive under pressure, with a sense of urgency, without making his players crumble. It's a tightrope to walk between instilling confidence and creating over confidence, and knowing when to kick ass and when to kiss ass is important. IMO, the manager has to be first, as good at his job as he expects players to be. Dusty wasn't. Second, he has to be approachable but maintain a separation so he can demand accountability, and accept same from his staff and himself. He also has to be able to solve problems, on the field and in the clubhouse. He needs the confidence to be listened to both from the front office, and the dugout, without making excuses. And...he has to win. The perfect guy is rare.

Its a tougher job than most could imagine.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that a lot of these former players-turned-microphone masters would like to live it out on the field. O'Neill knows what a manager needs to do. I will stop at that. I have heard nothing about him. He's been a player, never a dugout coach to any degree.

As for Cincy being "podunk," I think a lot of these managers find out differently after they get there. It's a very tough fan base, even though the media is pretty soft on them for the first couple of years. Dusty got out of town lucky, if you ask me.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should think David Bell might be very high on the Reds list.
very
high.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like David Bell. Riggleman is a good baseball man, but has some baggage, and his experience is with lesser talent teams. Bell has no MLB baggage, because he hasn't managed. That could be a good/bad scenario.

Jim Tracy. Dunno where he is, but he has lots of the attributes I like. Gibson...is probably signed, Showalter, Mattingly, ditto. Hurdle obviously is. Matheney is a David Bell kind of hire that's working out pretty well for the Cardinals.

Ozzie is a nut job that should stick to baseball instead of speaking.
Valentine is a fraud. Manuel is worse than Dusty.

There are lots of options. In exited that Walt has a opportunity to put his brand on the next manager. In hoping he chooses well...and signing another piece or two might not hurt. Getting Choo back would be huge and send a real message.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am weary of reading the ongoing bull-crap about "old school" this and "sabremetrics" that ... as if you can somehow divine up a No. 2 hitter with an OBP of .390. Lately, I have read that the best lineup would have been Choo, Votto, then BRUCE ... now, since when did THAT become a good idea?

Well, the point is, if a new manager comes in, there are those who think the Reds will somehow just start to win with what they have. The team evidently just needs a better philosophy and that won't happen just by telling John Fay about it.

Every guy they interview will say he will win now. The new guy will say, "we are in it to win it." He will also say that changes are coming and that the fans will love what they see.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn.

I still think Delino DeShields is the guy who will be chosen.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want a guy that Billy a Hamilton is going to relate to, DeShields wouldn't be a bad choice. A couple of sidebars- Joey Votto, Jay Bruce and BP looked like they've never been at the plate during a steal before- so they played right into swinging to protect the runner- deadly in Dusty's favorite, but I'll-timed 2 strike steal attempt situation...k out, throw out inning ending DP. I believe in the steal, but only early in the count, with a hitter with enough will power to take a pitch to get it done, and flip the odds in favor of getting a walk with the newly open 1b, or better, a fat fastball to drive on the next pitch if Hsmilton looks likely to take 3rd too on the next pitch. It all plays into making the other team preoccupy themselves with stuff they don't want to do.

Yea, the roster has a bearing on what a manager can accomplish , but the manager has to use the roster to make things happen, instead of waiting on them to happen. IMO, that has something to do with why they are looking at new managers.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want a guy that Billy a Hamilton is going to relate to, DeShields wouldn't be a bad choice. A couple of sidebars- Joey Votto, Jay Bruce and BP looked like they've never been at the plate during a steal before- so they played right into swinging to protect the runner- deadly in Dusty's favorite, but I'll-timed 2 strike steal attempt situation...k out, throw out inning ending DP. I believe in the steal, but only early in the count, with a hitter with enough will power to take a pitch to get it done, and flip the odds in favor of getting a walk with the newly open 1b, or better, a fat fastball to drive on the next pitch if Hsmilton looks likely to take 3rd too on the next pitch. It all plays into making the other team preoccupy themselves with stuff they don't want to do.

Yea, the roster has a bearing on what a manager can accomplish , but the manager has to use the roster to make things happen, instead of waiting on them to happen. IMO, that has something to do with why they are looking at new managers.

redsfan03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would prefer someone with coaching experience. O'Neill would be a great hitting coach maybe, but I don't want another Dusty Baker. It's been proven that guys can make the jump from player to coach without working their way up, but that's far from the norm, imo.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Wally Backman and think he'd be excellent. And no one can say he hasn't paid his dues.

I'm afraid Paul "The Warrior" O'Neill is too brash and inexperienced. I can see personality conflicts with players and him quitting if things didn't go as expected.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't KNOW that O'Neill is even in the mix ... and I am not quite convinced he's a hitting instructor, though I do know he learned to hit lefties after looking a lot like Bruce early in his career.

Backman ... dunno ... I think he's Larry Bowa in disguise.

My first two predictions are David Bell and Riggleman ... would rather not have Riggleman.

Would still rather see DeShields get a shot at it.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geez...the Cubs let Sveum go, and are looking at Manny Acta....the more things change, the more they stay the same.

What was wrong with Ryne Sandberg ? The Phillies must have thought he was managerial material...

Theo Epstein can't recognize talent without Scott Boras telling him where to find it. Poor Cubs...you think the Cubs will interview Dusty Baker ? NO...but I'd like a few media guys that defended Dusty to explain why NO team that has ever hired Dusty would do so again...

..but I also don't get firing Sveum and hiring another guy just like him. So they can say they did something ?

Similarly, I don't think it makes a lot of sense to fire Dusty Baker and hire a guy just like him, either...Charlie Manuel was a treestump players manager too, that has been in lost in the World Series, and WON in the World Series, but he was a bad manager I don't expect in a Reds uni...and Dusty was a player with no managerial experience and had barely a name-only hitting coaches resume...STILL, much more experience than Barry Larkin or Paul O'Neill...

SO I don't expect a manager that has never managed or coached, and I don't expect a manager that has MLB experience similar to Dusty's. I expect something different. It's good for the organization PR to hire from within, but this isn't the usual situation.

The message with firing Dusty is, the Reds aren't happy with just making the playoffs...and feel the team is ready for more...who is the best guy to take them over the hump to the World Series ? THERE'S our clue.

MellowYellow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was the guy in two of my favorite on-the-field moments in baseball.

1. As a Red RF, he once kicked a ball out of frustration in bobbling it to the cutoff man thus preventing the runner from advancing.

2. When he went out as a Yankee at the House that Ruth Built with the fans chanting his name the last two innings when he took the field. He was never the best player, but that moment showed how loved this blue-collar guy was. I remember watching him as he tried to hide his tears.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't say for sure who ought to manage but the hitting philosophy has to change.
I don't much care who they get to play left field or third base or shortstop.
They have to start hitting the baseball.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Dave Duncan at least as pitching coach he said earlier this year he wants to coach again him and Jocketty have ties from the Cards. If Walt hires Oquendo or someone Duncan wants to work with I can see him going their.