• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Former Bears/Lions QB Erik Kramer survives suicide attempt

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ex-NFL QB Erik Kramer Wounded in Apparent Suicide Attempt
by ANDREW BLANKSTEIN and PHIL HELSEL

Ex-NFL quarterback Erik Kramer shot himself Tuesday night in a suicide attempt, but survived, law enforcement sources and his former wife said.

Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies were called to a motel in Calabasas at around 8 p.m. for a welfare check, sources told NBC News. When deputies arrived they found Kramer with a gunshot wound that was described as not life-threatening, a source said.

150819-erik-kramer-bears-rd_9552b000bad89029ee638fcc3b541e7f.nbcnews-ux-320-320.jpg
Erik Kramer playing for the Chicago Bears in 1998. Charles Bennett / AP
Kramer's former wife, Marshawn Kramer, told NBC News Wednesday night that it was a suicide attempt, and said Kramer suffered years of depression that she believes was the result of his time in the NFL.

"He is a very amazing man, a beautiful soul, but he has suffered depression since he was with the Bears," Marshawn Kramer said in a telephone interview. "I can promise you he is not the same man I married."

Kramer, 50, helped lead the Detroit Lions to a 12-4 record and an NFC Championship game appearance in the 1991 season. He later joined the Chicago Bears, where he spent five seasons and threw for 29 touchdowns during the 1995 season, according to NFL statistics. Kramer ended his career with the San Diego Chargers in 1999.

Marshawn Kramer said Erik Kramer's sister told her the injury is more serious than law enforcement sources said. The sister, Kelley Kramer, was travelling to California from her home in Las Vegas Wednesday, she said. A number was left but a call had not been returned Wednesday night.

The suicide attempt comes amid fierce debate over the possible lasting mental health effects of NFL careers in which players endure hard hits to the head. Former NFL stars Junior Seau and Dave Duerson were posthumously diagnosed with the brain condition chronic traumatic encephalopathy after they committed suicide.

The NFL and the NFL Players Association did not immediately return emails seeking comment.

Marshawn and Erik Kramer officially divorced in 2010, after years of problems caused by Erik's depression, she said. "I know Erik and I would still be together if not for his football injury," she said. It was an amicable split, she said, and they live in the same California city, not far from each other.

In 2011, their 18-year-old son, Griffen, then a Thousand Oaks High School quarterback, died from a drug overdose.

The couple has another son, 17-year-old Dillon. Marshawn Kramer said Erik Kramer is a wonderful father who adored his son.

"He's such a good dad and he would not do this to his son," she said. "This is brain injury."

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His wife's name is Marshawn?

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i forgot he was a replacement player in 87

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[INSENSITIVE JOKE]If I had to spend most of my career with the Bears and Lions, I'd wanna kill myself too.[/INSENSITIVE JOKE]

[INSENSITIVE JOKE]Apparently he's STILL plagued by accuracy problems.[/INSENSITIVE JOKE]

Reactions: gb2

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[INSENSITIVE JOKE]If I had to spend most of my career with the Bears and Lions, I'd wanna kill myself too.[/INSENSITIVE JOKE]

[INSENSITIVE JOKE]Apparently he's STILL plagued by accuracy problems.[/INSENSITIVE JOKE]
tasteless but funny

somewhere, wayne fontes is laughing

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is really sad. I used to live in the area in question years ago, which is where Kramer grew up, and I used to watch the games there at a bar with members of his family, including some of the games he played in. Everyone at this bar had Erik Kramer jerseys on. You would walk in and everyone would be wearing it. I got to know some of them. They were normal, down to earth blue-collar type people.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What kind of wound did he sustain to be "unsuccessful" in his suicide attempt??

Tis a shame that anyone falls down the rabbit hole that much to even think about ending their own life

gb2

I Hate Orange.!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While this is a sad story, I just don't understand how someone " fails " at a REAL suicide attempt.
How can you not kill yourself with a gun, if you really wanted to?
Me thinks it was a big time cry for help.

Jus sayin'........