• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Florida (3) vs. Kentucky (12)

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gator nation!!!!

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
game, Gators.
fun team to watch.
Billy D and boyz be making noyz in March.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WOW; I said I would revisit the Gators inability to handle big people down low....IMO, Florida is for real.

TangoBlue

I'd cabeceo that cutie!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wondering......{as a UK fan}........if I could find any basketball fans leaping on the Fla bandwagon tonight?

No UK fans other than me on here? Well then.....I hope a Mississippi Leghound frosts the cuffs on all youse guys pants until you see a :flypig:

Last edited by a moderator:

ktg8trgrl

Go Gators!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wondering......{as a UK fan}........if I could find any basketball fans leaping on the Fla bandwagon tonight?

No UK fans other than me on here? Well then.....I hope a Mississippi Leghound frosts the cuffs on all youse guys pants until you see a :flypig:

Who is leaping on a bandwagon here? We have been to 3 straight elite 8s in the tourney..why would anyone think that basically the same team from last year wouldn't be as good ?

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is leaping on a bandwagon here? We have been to 3 straight elite 8s in the tourney..why would anyone think that basically the same team from last year wouldn't be as good ?

Maybe doesn't visit the boards much... we have the same 4-5 core gator fans on here... and a few fans of other teams who support us. Nothing has really changed.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im in canada skiing....dvr'ed the game. sounds like i missed a good one. how did young play in the paint on both ends?

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
game, Gators.
fun team to watch.
Billy D and boyz be making noyz in March.

WOW; I said I would revisit the Gators inability to handle big people down low....IMO, Florida is for real.

GG Gators. I for one thought UK would be too much in Lexington. That is a tuff place to win. Billy D is a great coach and knows what it takes to meld boys into men.

SwampHumpy

Touching my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im in canada skiing....dvr'ed the game. sounds like i missed a good one. how did young play in the paint on both ends?

He had his typical game. Made some great points with the hook inside and he was a presence. It just felt like KY controlled the inside most of the game. That is a phenomenally talented Freshman group they have. That’s the first team so far that has relentlessly attacked the basket, driving the lane every chance they could. But Patric and Casey played like monsters in the last 5 minutes. Wait until you see the offensive rebound Prather makes inside, surrounded by four Wildcats at the end of the game.

Once again, Scotty Wilbekin willed this to happen. God I hope he stays healthy. Everyone contributed, except Chris Walker came in for like a minute in the first half and was completely lost. Billy yanked him out immediately and sent the starters back in. I fell for the koolaid with him, but it’s obvious he will need a LOT of game time NEXT YEAR to develop into a force. I don’t see him sniffing the court in the Tournament.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A month ago I thought Florida would sweep Kentucky (considering the lack of competition in the SEC, Florida should get Kentucky three times) but yesterday I turned chicken chit and flipped my pick to the inexperienced youth at home.

UK won't win more than two games in the NCAA Tourney because they lack cohesiveness and still make too many mistakes. A seasoned UF team, however, could reach the Final Four.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida looks like they could win a title this year. The Wildcats look like they could win one too....If they were all here next year. Obviously, because of where they are going to be picked, Randle and Young are gone, and probably WCS as well(though with a year to work on his right hand, Randle might go top 2 next year). The Twins may be gone as well, though I think neither player are ready to help an NBA team.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida looks like they could win a title this year. The Wildcats look like they could win one too....If they were all here next year. Obviously, because of where they are going to be picked, Randle and Young are gone, and probably WCS as well(though with a year to work on his right hand, Randle might go top 2 next year). The Twins may be gone as well, though I think neither player are ready to help an NBA team.

Have you seen Kentucky's incoming class? You may be right back to where you started from... :lol:

Enough of "one and dones." I hope Silver is able to push the age limit to 20 or enact something to keep kids in college for a minimum of 2 years.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had to rewatch the game to focus on just how Florida was able to hold their own against a much bigger team. Our biggest player on the floor is Patric Young, 6-9(can't count Chris Walker who is not effective); and Kentucky have two very big(7') and active centers Johnson and Cauley-Stein who they rotate in and out along with Randle(6-9) and Poyuthrus(6-8). The only person we could not handle was Randle. There was always a mismatch when trying to guard the center and dealing with Andrew Harrison and that mismatch was Randle against who ever was trying to guard him inside, Finney-smith, Praither or Yeguette and sometimes Wilbekin which doesn't work at all. Kentucky should have gone to Randle all night. Our guys inside played Kentucky about even as the total rebounding edge was 3 to Kentucky(31-28). Our guys were quicker inside and physically, much fitter and at the end of game, Kentucky could no longer move their feet and had a lot of reach in fouls on the penetrating ball handler. Throughout the game everytime the ball went inside, Florida had 3 defenders on the ball which forced them to throw the ball back outside. Simply great switching defense and folks, that's how Florida wins...no uncontested baskets. Scottie Wilbekin is simply a better basketball player than James Young and the Harrison twins. None of those guys understand anything about playing the guard position; especially point guard. We had a floor leader; they did not. Kentucky stayed in the game early because James Young, a guy who doesn't score much, could not miss. He cooled down the 2nd half and Kentucky faded down the stretch. The Kentucky fans all were supposed to stand the final 8 minutes of the game, but by the time there was 3 minutes remaining; they knew it was over and were all sitting. When the game was very close at the 10 minute mark, John Calipari said something to the official and got T'd up which gave us 2 points and the ball. Very stupid on his part; especially at home. Donovan knows how to coach and even though we didn't shoot well early, our defense did not give them a lot of good looks. As I mentioned last week, Chris Walker needs another year to get stronger and figure out how to play; again he reminds me of a young Cauley-Stein or a young Fab Mello.....big, gangly and stupid. I think we were all hoping he was the "2nd Coming" and Jonvi had it correct...he's a freshman and starting 3/4 into the year is not going to work and it does not.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enough of "one and dones." I hope Silver is able to push the age limit to 20 or enact something to keep kids in college for a minimum of 2 years.

I'll be interested in seeing how a mandated 2 year rule will impact UK recruiting. I see pro's and con's for UK in this. I don't see it changing a thing for SU. Anthony's been the only one and done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be interested in seeing how a mandated 2 year rule will impact UK recruiting. I see pro's and con's for UK in this. I don't see it changing a thing for SU. Anthony's been the only one and done.

IMO, if there is a mandated 2 year rule; a lot of kids will simply got straight to the pros and most pro teams will take them knowing they need a couple of years to get better. IMO, neither Harrisons are ready, James Young is not ready; certainly not Poythres...maybe Randle.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had to rewatch the game to focus on just how Florida was able to hold their own against a much bigger team. Our biggest player on the floor is Patric Young, 6-9(can't count Chris Walker who is not effective); and Kentucky have two very big(7') and active centers Johnson and Cauley-Stein who they rotate in and out along with Randle(6-9) and Poyuthrus(6-8). The only person we could not handle was Randle. There was always a mismatch when trying to guard the center and dealing with Andrew Harrison and that mismatch was Randle against who ever was trying to guard him inside, Finney-smith, Praither or Yeguette and sometimes Wilbekin which doesn't work at all. Kentucky should have gone to Randle all night. Our guys inside played Kentucky about even as the total rebounding edge was 3 to Kentucky(31-28). Our guys were quicker inside and physically, much fitter and at the end of game, Kentucky could no longer move their feet and had a lot of reach in fouls on the penetrating ball handler. Throughout the game everytime the ball went inside, Florida had 3 defenders on the ball which forced them to throw the ball back outside. Simply great switching defense and folks, that's how Florida wins...no uncontested baskets. Scottie Wilbekin is simply a better basketball player than James Young and the Harrison twins. None of those guys understand anything about playing the guard position; especially point guard. We had a floor leader; they did not. Kentucky stayed in the game early because James Young, a guy who doesn't score much, could not miss. He cooled down the 2nd half and Kentucky faded down the stretch. The Kentucky fans all were supposed to stand the final 8 minutes of the game, but by the time there was 3 minutes remaining; they knew it was over and were all sitting. When the game was very close at the 10 minute mark, John Calipari said something to the official and got T'd up which gave us 2 points and the ball. Very stupid on his part; especially at home. Donovan knows how to coach and even though we didn't shoot well early, our defense did not give them a lot of good looks. As I mentioned last week, Chris Walker needs another year to get stronger and figure out how to play; again he reminds me of a young Cauley-Stein or a young Fab Mello.....big, gangly and stupid. I think we were all hoping he was the "2nd Coming" and Jonvi had it correct...he's a freshman and starting 3/4 into the year is not going to work and it does not.

That's a decent breakdown. But I suggest some paragraphs next time big man.

You mentioned floor leadership and that does seem to be the problem with UK. There is no doubt UK is very physical, but I'm beginning to question their bball IQ. I don't think either of the Harrison's have a clue yet, though one of them seems much better on offense but both lack the team mentality.

I do like Randall a bunch...as you said he was a handful last night.

On the Coach Cal T....Cal says he didn't say anything to the guy. :scratch:

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a decent breakdown. But I suggest some paragraphs next time big man.

You mentioned floor leadership and that does seem to be the problem with UK. There is no doubt UK is very physical, but I'm beginning to question their bball IQ. I don't think either of the Harrison's have a clue yet, though one of them seems much better on offense but both lack the team mentality.

I do like Randall a bunch...as you said he was a handful last night.

On the Coach Cal T....Cal says he didn't say anything to the guy. :scratch:

To me, the difference in floor leadership was the biggest factor in the win. Wilbekin is a great ball handler, plays great defense, and gets the ball to someone who is open. Andrew Harrison is a great shooter and will be a good NBA guard; just not a point guard. Aaron Harrison does not have his brother's talent.

Randal plays bigger than 6-9 and the only person who could handle him was Patric Young, who also had to deal with a 7' center...tough assignment and handled it very well.

Cal was whining all night and IMO, the refs had had enough. Kentucky got a lot of favorable calls; especially when Young was called for goaltending...that one wasn't even close. Cal in the interview stated the ref heard him say something as he was walking away and the press could ask the ref what he said. IMO, he said something unflattering and his team paid the price.....a 4 point swing.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The one thing I think made the difference was desire... and effort.

A prime example was that one rebound late when the game was still close by Prather. 6'6" standing in the middle of 4 of UK's players... 3 of which were much taller than he... and if you watch the slow motion, he literally jumped about 2' higher than the rest of their players and got that rebound... they were all tip toe rebounding.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, if there is a mandated 2 year rule; a lot of kids will simply got straight to the pros and most pro teams will take them knowing they need a couple of years to get better. IMO, neither Harrisons are ready, James Young is not ready; certainly not Poythres...maybe Randle.

And certainly not Walker. If I were judging him as a Freshman, I would say we have a great future. As a NBA lottery pick, I think he will bomb. And Dickie V mentioned it again on air last night how he would be a 1st round pick. He needs much more college..

I haven't seen it... he gets pushed around down low... fouls a lot given the time he is in the game. And other than a few dunks, has shown he can't post up and score (I have seen three shots and they didn't even hit rim... he chucked them off the backboard so hard it look more like racquetball)