• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

First Half Grades

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree or not, it's the most common term I heard/used until ESPN came up with QBR, and I spent the majority of my youth sitting in my bedroom mashing up sports statistics and figuring out their formulas (especially QB Rating). But, since I never expect anyone to believe me just for my own memories - here's 3 examples to show what I'm talking about:

1 - If you go to pro-football-reference and hover your mouse icon over the red RATE in the top row of the statistic bracket - a text box will appear calling it Quarterback Rating (exact quote, "Quarterback Rating, see glossary for details. Different ratings are used for NFL and NCAA. Minimum 1500 pass attempts to qualify for career leader). Russell Wilson NFL Football Statistics | Pro-Football-Reference.com

2 - "Passer rating (also known as quarterback rating, QB rating, or passing efficiency in college football) is a measure of the performance of passers, primarily quarterbacks, in American football and Canadian football. There are two formulae currently in use: one used by both the National Football League (NFL) and Canadian Football League (CFL), and the other used in NCAA football. Passer rating is calculated using a player's passing attempts, completions, yards, touchdowns, and interceptions. Since 1973, passer rating has been the official formula used by the NFL to determine its passing leader." As per wikipedia's entry for this statistic. Passer rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3 - 1990 Pro Set Joe Montana Player of the Year card (#2). Back reads: "Record setting 1989 season earned him first Miller Lite NFL Player of Year Trophy...Completed 70.2 percent of his passes for 3521 yards, 26 touchdowns, and only 8 interceptions while compiling 112.4 quarterback rating, on all-time NFL best..." http://www.mjschaffer.com/img/proset/joe-montana-error-pro-set.jpg

Sports cards are probably my single most influential medium when it come to this topic - cause I was a nerd who sat with a pad of paper, a pen, a calculator and a stack of sports cards and just played around with sports statistics for hours upon hours. I had even wanted nothing more than to be a sports statistician.
That sir is an admiral quality.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Lynch doesn't do something to get his ypc way better than 40th in the NFL, we're focusing on the wrong thing if we're complaining about someone taking vacation during their vacation.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Lynch doesn't do something to get his ypc way better than 40th in the NFL, we're focusing on the wrong thing if we're complaining about someone taking vacation during their vacation.

Yeah, and it's isn't just the line's fault either. Rawls (5.4) and Jackson (4.9) are averaging way better, and at least with Rawls, a majority of his carries weren't just change of pace runs.