• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

FIRE HORNACEK...

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
up 17 with 7 minutes to play vs a schitt team, 4 minutes left up 1 what a great coach we have, knows just when to call those time outs....

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
could be the worst knick coach yet....

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
could be the worst knick coach yet....

What would you say if they had LOST instead tonight? Worst coach in NBA history? LOL

And anyway, if you think he's worse than Isaiah Thomas or Derek Fisher then you may be too stupid to live.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, and how many times does a coach need to see this happen b4 he wakes the fack up?

You have railed on multiple posters for not being knowledgeable fans, so I am just curious.

You have made a lot of vague comments about not boxing out and shooting too many 3s, but you have yet to offer any specific content that proves your own knowledge.

Please enlighten us on how you would have the Knicks defend a 1-5 ball screen?

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have railed on multiple posters for not being knowledgeable fans, so I am just curious.

You have made a lot of vague comments about not boxing out and shooting too many 3s, but you have yet to offer any specific content that proves your own knowledge.

Please enlighten us on how you would have the Knicks defend a 1-5 ball screen?

how bout using some zone D once in a while, 1-2-1 or 2-3, there are ways to counter if you want to get down & dirty, but in todays game the legs are saved for offense, its a players game today, iso's & 3's, the crowd pleasers..

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would you say if they had LOST instead tonight? Worst coach in NBA history? LOL

And anyway, if you think he's worse than Isaiah Thomas or Derek Fisher then you may be too stupid to live.

to me it doesn't matter what they do, because if they continue with this style of play, they are going nowhere.. and if you think thomas and fisher had this talent you're nuts

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how bout using some zone D once in a while, 1-2-1 or 2-3, there are ways to counter if you want to get down & dirty, but in todays game the legs are saved for offense, its a players game today, iso's & 3's, the crowd pleasers..

Well, just what I thought.

Name one quality NBA team that has employed zone defense for more than a couple possessions at a time as a change of pace.

I am honestly not sure that you are knowledgeable enough to answer my original question about pick and roll.

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, just what I thought.

Name one quality NBA team that has employed zone defense for more than a couple possessions at a time as a change of pace.

I am honestly not sure that you are knowledgeable enough to answer my original question about pick and roll.

very simple to defend the pick & roll, you hedge !!!

employed or have implemented? I don't watch other teams play the game, because i don't like what the game has become! So, I will answer your question by just saying if you are not a quality team, like the knicks are presently , and if i were coach i would implement the zone defenses, as well as boxing out. Stress the fundamentals, because its my job is to win every game. And i wouldn't give a schitt what the players thought of me. The coach i had when i played organized ball, he beat the game into us, everything we did on the court was a set play, coaches from all over came and taught us defenses. We wore sand weighted vests for the 1-2-2 , 2-3, 1-3-1, and if we F' ed up we ran suicides till the cows came home!

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

employed or have implemented? I don't watch other teams play the game, because i don't like what the game has become! So, I will answer your question by just saying if you are not a quality team, like the knicks are presently , and if i were coach i would implement the zone defenses, as well as boxing out. Stress the fundamentals, because its my job is to win every game. And i wouldn't give a schitt what the players thought of me. The coach i had when i played organized ball, he beat the game into us, everything we did on the court was a set play, coaches from all over came and taught us defenses. We wore sand weighted vests for the 1-2-2 , 2-3, 1-3-1, and if we F' ed up we ran suicides till the cows came home!

Soft hedge or hard hedge?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hedging is fine, but you can also switch it, blitz it, ice it or go under. NBA teams practice all of these options and mix things up depending on game plan. As for switching, if you have athletic big man like Porzingis, it is often the best way to disrupt a ball screen offense because there is no real advantage to the screen aside from the matchup switch. In every other example listed above, it requires 2 players guarding the ball for at least a second, which puts a lot of pressure on the defense. Switching can often force the offense into ISO ball, which can be a good thing for the D even if the matchups aren't perfect.

As for zone, it just does not work in the NBA. Defensive 3 seconds is one thing that makes it ineffective, but the skill level of the players is too high for zone to work well. If it did, more teams would use it. Regardless of your opinion on Hornacek, the best, smartest coaches in the world reside in the NBA and none have figured out a way to use zone effectively. Even at the college level, there is a reason why 99% of teams use man as their base defense.

Reactions: DJ

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The 1-2-1 ? Is this a dig a DRose's defense ?

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hedging is fine, but you can also switch it, blitz it, ice it or go under. NBA teams practice all of these options and mix things up depending on game plan. As for switching, if you have athletic big man like Porzingis, it is often the best way to disrupt a ball screen offense because there is no real advantage to the screen aside from the matchup switch. In every other example listed above, it requires 2 players guarding the ball for at least a second, which puts a lot of pressure on the defense. Switching can often force the offense into ISO ball, which can be a good thing for the D even if the matchups aren't perfect.

As for zone, it just does not work in the NBA. Defensive 3 seconds is one thing that makes it ineffective, but the skill level of the players is too high for zone to work well. If it did, more teams would use it. Regardless of your opinion on Hornacek, the best, smartest coaches in the world reside in the NBA and none have figured out a way to use zone effectively. Even at the college level, there is a reason why 99% of teams use man as their base defense.

it does not work because they don't want to put in the work to make it work. ' practice, ' we talkin practice? c'mon practice!!!! for Gods sake these guys can't hit free throws!

like i said b4, its players game, its all about iso's & 3's

.. i'm on hornacek cause he's TOO SOFT...

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for zone, it just does not work in the NBA. Defensive 3 seconds is one thing that makes it ineffective, but the skill level of the players is too high for zone to work well.

Exactly. There are basically 2 ways to beat a zone: shoot over it, or attack the middle. Things that NBA players tend to excel at.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, i meant 1-2-2 = 5 but, the knicks do play most of the game a guy short, esp on D

1-2-2? Who the fuck use that? I don't even see a lot of college teams using that lol

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1-2-2? Who the fuck use that? I don't even see a lot of college teams using that lol

Villanova plays a 1-2-2 press, but I don't think that is what OP is talking about.

1-2-2 in the half court is really a 3-2. I have seen it work well at lower levels and it probably is the "best" zone for NBA given the 3 second rules, but any decent team would pick it to pieces with a little ball movement.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,406.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7-3 in their last 10 games.......you look really stupid right now imo.