• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Finland vs. Canada

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'Crosby wasn't productive today'

Yes, lets choose one person who wasn't productive today in a game where the team scored 2 goals. Seriously, the only productive player was Doughty. Doughty-Carter-Weber have been the big contributors. Forwards outside of Carter have been nearly invisible. Talk about pressure on a guy, gets an assist in a 2-1 game, and is lambasted.

When you are the captain and focal point of the medal favorite from the nation that invented the game and there is a GOALIE on another team that has the same number of points as you for the tourney... you are going to catch some shit. He needs to pull up his big boy pants.

Four extremely egregious penalties not called. All I am wondering is when I am going to see a whole hockey game in the hockey tournament?

Benn should have been tossed for the Crosscheck, that way he wouldn't have been around to get boarded by a guy who should have been tossed and suspended. Whoever that ref is should be tasered.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was confused by the combination of Sid and Bergeron. I was thinking the whole game, "Man, it would be fun to watch Sid with Duchene."

And why would you put two very good faceoff guys on the same line? And it looked like Bergeron was on the wing, but he's basically the best defensive center going right now.

Played on the same line at the World Juniors in 2005 and the World Championships in 2006. Bergeron led the former in scoring and finished 2nd to Crosby in the latter. There's some history.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some history, perhaps, but ancient history. The more recent history is outlined in Darkstone's 2nd paragraph.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the deal with players like Syndie, OV and Malkin et al. Teams are going to be keying on them and be in their face all game long.

Look at what the Bruins did to the Crosby and Malkin lines last year in the playoffs during their sweep of the Pens. Crosby/Malkin = non-existent cuz of the constant pressure the B's put on them. Star players just have a much harder time 'shining' when the competition level (i.e. Olympics) is ramped up ... plain & simple.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some history, perhaps, but ancient history. The more recent history is outlined in Darkstone's 2nd paragraph.

On a personal level if I want to put two guys together on the same line I'm not going to change my mind because of something relatively small and insignificant like faceoffs. Especially if there are plenty of other good faceoff men on my roster anyway.

But really I didn't post to defend the decision anyway, I merely posted that to explain what the reason for the decision might have been since he said he didn't understand. Something like the Leafs trading Rask for instance... I didn't like or agree with the decision but I understood why the people that made the decision made it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the deal with players like Syndie, OV and Malkin et al. Teams are going to be keying on them and be in their face all game long.

Look at what the Bruins did to the Crosby and Malkin lines last year in the playoffs during their sweep of the Pens. Crosby/Malkin = non-existent cuz of the constant pressure the B's put on them. Star players just have a much harder time 'shining' when the competition level (i.e. Olympics) is ramped up ... plain & simple.

You always want your best players to step up in big moments because they should be able to with their talent, but the teams who win are the teams that have depth and can mesh together well

Canada's going to have issues going forward if they can't get chemistry with the rest of their forwards - team USA seems to be doing pretty well with that and a few other teams seem to be doing well with that as well

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it possible to be adults and not call Crosby a girl? Frankly I'm pretty sure that there are some female hockey players that could kick every one of our asses on this board. Throwing it out there, feel free to catch it.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it possible to be adults and not call Crosby a girl? Frankly I'm pretty sure that there are some female hockey players that could kick every one of our asses on this board. Throwing it out there, feel free to catch it.

Glove1.jpg

Got it!

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hilary Knight can roughhouse me whenever she feels like it.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dutter has to be wondering how come these LA Kings can't score in the NHL...