• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Finalizing a deal with Mike McCoy

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are close to finalizing a deal with McCoy... Sounds like it should be done tomorrow. Don't do your cart wheel until it is official, but great news coming out of Dove Valley tonight.

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Musgrave rumors as qb and assistant head coach as well.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be an offensive coup of coaches

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't sure about McCoy when he left - his success was sort of a mystery with Tebow and Peyton ( and Orton early on )

But in retrospect, he did an outstanding job with Tebow ...

What's the cliché ?? .. Getting blood from a stone ??

I also think he got a raw deal in San Diego with all the wind taken from their sails in regards to the impending move ..

Orton was playing way over his head early on, the Tebow and Peyton offenses were both very tailored and had their own identities and Phillip Rivers was outstanding lately ..

great news

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems really weird yet nice to think of him back as our OC... I thought we'd never see him here again... Nice to have him back. Sounds like it will be announced tomorrow.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Musgrave has QB coach and assistant HC - sounds good, but unusual - as he would be both subordinate and superior to McCoy.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need Musgrave and McCoy ASAP. The development and or evaluation of Lynch needs to be microwaved

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like we are finalizing a deal with both McCoy and Musgrave. Huge for this offense getting back on track.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like we are finalizing a deal with both McCoy and Musgrave. Huge for this offense getting back on track.

Hmmmm......this could be a great thing but I'm not 100% sure. I guess what I'm stuck on is that Musgrave just ran a top 10 offense and McCoy hasn't been an OC for a couple of years. I'm not completely sure but do they even run a similar offensive system? Almost seems like it's throwing too much horsepower at it and they may not gel together.

In trying to answer my own question, maybe it's the statement that VJ made yesterday about not running any one system and that the Broncos offense is going to be about designing schemes that fit the players.

Ultimately I think this could be awesome but still have a couple reservations, I guess..

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmmm......this could be a great thing but I'm not 100% sure. I guess what I'm stuck on is that Musgrave just ran a top 10 offense and McCoy hasn't been an OC for a couple of years. I'm not completely sure but do they even run a similar offensive system? Almost seems like it's throwing too much horsepower at it and they may not gel together.

In trying to answer my own question, maybe it's the statement that VJ made yesterday about not running any one system and that the Broncos offense is going to be about designing schemes that fit the players.

Ultimately I think this could be awesome but still have a couple reservations, I guess..

Yeah that is my one worry is how the two of them will function. No they did not run exact schemes. McCoy was much more out of the shot gun where Musgraves tried to work a decent amount from under center to keep the run game strong. At the same time this could be trying to bring both systems into play and make teams have to prepare for 2 playbooks.

My guess of why McCoy is the OC over that of Musgrave is 2 things...McCoy wouldn't come just as a QB's coach like that of Musgrave. The other is I think his system is a better fit for Lynch. He worked out of shotgun most of his college career so he should feel much more comfortable operating with McCoy.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've not weighed in on the HC hire because I really wanted to see what would happen with the HC/DC positions. I'll reserve judgment on VJ, though I'll say two things: 1) I wasn't thrilled and wanted Kyle Shanahan and 2) I also trust Elway's judgment on these things. Furthermore I'll add I feel our offense is in a position to really improve under McCoy and now Musgrave as well. And with Joe Woods the presumed DC, I feel there will be enough continuity on defense that we can weather Wade Philips departure.

2017 could be another 9-7 "transitional" season and you never know what to expect out of a retooled coaching staff. But I tend to be more optimistic about these things and feel the team is set up for a 10-6 or better finish and return to the playoffs. Much much more to learn about this team in the coming months though. I'm gonna try to enjoy 2017 outside of football for a while!

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea how this will play out. Disappointed about Wade but, hope for the best huge hole to fill. I do love that we cleaned house on most of the asst coaches we needed to do it. McCoy please get DT more involved. Seemed like he was inactive most of the season bad for our #1 WR.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike McCoy is officially now our OC... The deal has been reached.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am very happy with McCoy returning

The one thing he has proven is that he is accommodating and can tailor according to strengths

This is not like Josh McDaniels coming in like the bull in the China shop

I have high hopes for McCoy and Musgrave working well together

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am very happy with McCoy returning

The one thing he has proven is that he is accommodating and can tailor according to strengths

This is not like Josh McDaniels coming in like the bull in the China shop

I have high hopes for McCoy and Musgrave working well together

I didn't see many strengths on offense last couple of years. When the search is over - please let me know what they were. ;)

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite simply, this is brilliant.

McCoy has in the past made Tebow successful, as well as Manning, and getting everyone on board for two schemes in two consecutive years. Granted, he did have Manning, but getting that kind of production out of Tebow and then blowing up the record books with an aged Manning shows me he's more than able to work with the talent he has.

Lets not forget that Manning preferred to work from the shotgun, and guess what? So does our new young qb. McCoy has some familiar faces at WR and RB, so he knows what they are capable of already.

Musgrave made an offense for very young players to be successful, also built around the talent he had.

I find nothing but positives out of both hires, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how we retool the Oline, as well as at TE.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Mike McCoy is working to the Bronco's strengths - I guess you have to say he needs to start with getting Sanders and Thomas the ball more often and in better situations. I predict he will need a functional Oline to accomplish that. I expect pretty much a new group of linemen.