• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fields to Steelers

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping Fields does well in Pittsburgh, he's a good guy and handle the ups and downs in Chicago with integrity.
I do because of the things many have already stated about him on this board. I don't because... well... that would be a pretty big kick in the gut. Especially if Williams busts. lol

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense, but that's a stupid fucking trade for the Bears. Just keep Fields and draft Williams, you'd still be getting off cheap in your QB room. If Williams is a bust you still have Fields, if Williams does great, you would get a Hell of a lot more for Justin at the trade deadline when half the starters in the league are on the shelf. Idiotic
How would we "still have Fields" by the team it's realized that Williams is a bust? Barring some sort of a criminal act, self-implosion - Williams is getting more than just 2024 as a rookie to prove his worth long term. Fields would have to be paid next off-season. We would not just pay Fields in order to string him along as a secondary/backup option.

As I stated above, that's a pretty awful situation created with both of them in the locker room together come camp. One foot in the past, the other foot with the new guy. The locker room loves Fields. A chunk of the fan base loves Fields. You'd have everyone picking camps to be in, etc. How is that a healthy start to your NFL career?

We're making the decision to take Caleb Williams on as "the guy". Therefore, that decision needs to be made and faith needs to be shown in that. Not some sort of tepid, half-assed "Hey, this is THE GUY!.... but... uh... just in case he isn't. We're keeping that other guy, too! But we have 100% confidence in our #1 overall pick. Promise! Now, Caleb. Go into that locker room where all of the players back that "other guy" and side with him! Good luck! You're our guy!....... Unless you fuck up. Then, it's that "other guy"!

That sounds lovely.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fleeced, plain and simple.
I mean, if that's the market - that's the market.

They clearly want to make a full commitment to Williams, not have both sharing a camp together, and I respect that. Onward and upward.

I doubt they passed up better compensation to make this deal. If this was the offer - it was the offer.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How would we "still have Fields" by the team it's realized that Williams is a bust? Barring some sort of a criminal act, self-implosion - Williams is getting more than just 2024 as a rookie to prove his worth long term. Fields would have to be paid next off-season. We would not just pay Fields in order to string him along as a secondary/backup option.

As I stated above, that's a pretty awful situation created with both of them in the locker room together come camp. One foot in the past, the other foot with the new guy. The locker room loves Fields. A chunk of the fan base loves Fields. You'd have everyone picking camps to be in, etc. How is that a healthy start to your NFL career?

We're making the decision to take Caleb Williams on as "the guy". Therefore, that decision needs to be made and faith needs to be shown in that. Not some sort of tepid, half-assed "Hey, this is THE GUY!.... but... uh... just in case he isn't. We're keeping that other guy, too! But we have 100% confidence in our #1 overall pick. Promise! Now, Caleb. Go into that locker room where all of the players back that "other guy" and side with him! Good luck! You're our guy!....... Unless you fuck up. Then, it's that "other guy"!

That sounds lovely.
For a 6th round pick? Whatever knocks you out lol. Im sure the Steelers loved the deal

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That sounds lovely.

You are right that the bears won’t quit on Caleb after only one year. But what if Caleb gets hurt??

Also every year qbs get hurt at some point. Would have been nice to hold fields until his value got decent again. The bears traded when everyone knew they had to get rid of fields. Why offer something even relatively good??

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, if that's the market - that's the market.

They clearly want to make a full commitment to Williams, not have both sharing a camp together, and I respect that. Onward and upward.

I doubt they passed up better compensation to make this deal. If this was the offer - it was the offer.
I know and I agree, having said so in a number of posts. But there were other clubs kinda kicking the tires to see what Poles wanted to do with Fields. He could have told any other semi interested GM what the Steelers were offering and see if they would beat it, which wouldn't have taken much. Again, I do blame the market more than anything, but the fact of the matter is the Steelers got Fields for a ham sandwich.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are right that the bears won’t quit on Caleb after only one year. But what if Caleb gets hurt??

Also every year qbs get hurt at some point. Would have been nice to hold fields until his value got decent again. The bears traded when everyone knew they had to get rid of fields. Why offer something even relatively good??
There was a market for Cousins. If 2 or more teams liked Fields there would have been a market for him. His value wasn't going to improve later in 2024 unless he was playing. If he was playing it would mean Williams wasn't ready. Fields couldn't run a traditional passing offense with 3 camps behind him. He's not going to move somewhere else mid-season and quickly pick up a traditional system. Any team trading for him late would have to run a Justin Fields offense.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know and I agree, having said so in a number of posts. But there were other clubs kinda kicking the tires to see what Poles wanted to do with Fields. He could have told any other semi interested GM what the Steelers were offering and see if they would beat it, which wouldn't have taken much. Again, I do blame the market more than anything, but the fact of the matter is the Steelers got Fields for a ham sandwich.
I don't mean this in a "dick-ish" way. But if you and others are thinking this on a message board forum? I'm fairly certain Poles tried what he could. lol

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, you sort of answered your own question.

"They had to get rid of Fields"

I don't understand the question when it comes to "What if Caleb gets hurt?". As it stands, Tyson Bagent would be next up in line to start at QB if no veteran is added. That's what would happen "if Caleb gets hurt". Because... remember... they "had to get rid of Fields". As you stated.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mean this in a "dick-ish" way. But if you and others are thinking this on a message board forum? I'm fairly certain Poles tried what he could. lol
I don't take it as dick-ish. I also don't doubt that Poles shopped Fields in vain. What I'm not at all certain tho is if he returned to the other GMs after he received the firm offer from the Steelers to see if he could get a better deal. And neither can you be certain either. We can both surmise tho, and my surmise is he probably just wanted to get this matter behind him, and didn't want to stretch the issue out any further than he had to.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a 6th round pick? Whatever knocks you out lol. Im sure the Steelers loved the deal

It very well could also turn into a 4th.....
How does anyone know this yet....??
JF coukd be day 1 starter.....
He could be starter by game 3.....
Pittsburgh plays in an awful tough division,anything there could happen.

Pitt can not be the first team to come calling,or Poles making them calls,but my guess is as Rich said,that was the market.......

JF was bottom 3 in all major qb stats,not too mention his failure in the 4th qtr all season.....it was horrendous.....and thats vs a favorable schedule......

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we're comparing the market value of Pickett vs Fields, Pickett has an extra year of evaluation on his rookie deal. Fields does not.

Dollars to donuts, a QB will get hurt or Russell Wilson will regress, so i can see this turning into a 4th round pick.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we're comparing the market value of Pickett vs Fields, Pickett has an extra year of evaluation on his rookie deal. Fields does not.

Dollars to donuts, a QB will get hurt or Russell Wilson will regress, so i can see this turning into a 4th round pick.

Same.......

How does anyone know that JF just doesnt beat him out for the no.1 job......

And besides,as bad of luck we have had in qbs,who wants a Bears castoff.....
Trubisky is the last one,how has he fared.....or any of these:
Grossman in Washington??
Cutler in Miami??
McMahon in San Diego??
Theres never been a Bear to leave Chicago and have a successful career that Im aware of.....

I believe no one came calling for Justin so we took a chance to get a 4th......
If there was a chance that Poles could have gotten more,he would of taken it.....no way does he jeapordize his career for JF being his job is on the line......

Its dumb to think........

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It very well could also turn into a 4th.....
How does anyone know this yet....??
JF coukd be day 1 starter.....
He could be starter by game 3.....
Pittsburgh plays in an awful tough division,anything there could happen.

Pitt can not be the first team to come calling,or Poles making them calls,but my guess is as Rich said,that was the market.......

JF was bottom 3 in all major qb stats,not too mention his failure in the 4th qtr all season.....it was horrendous.....and thats vs a favorable schedule......

I think a lot of that wasn't his fault. Fields is Cam Newton and the Bears tried to turn him into Tom Brady last year. Let him run. Maybe he has a shorter career but he could be good for 6-7 years

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its just been reported(if you want to believe this) by ESPN Justtin Fields wiil NOT compete for the starting job.......

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Even a 4th round pick is not enough.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its just been reported(if you want to believe this) by ESPN Justtin Fields wiil NOT compete for the starting job.......
I'm good with that. Play Wilson and take the pressure off Fields while he learns the offense. It could also give the Steelers some nasty short yardage and goal line packages

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK.
Even Ridder, Howell and Pickett were traded. Could be other teams saw what we saw... a kid with potential but didnt progress.

Russell Wilson is diminishing. Seahawks ate dead money to get rid of him. Payton got something out of him, but he wont do well in a run-first PIT offense.

:2cents:
Denver ate dead money to get rid of him.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you sort of answered your own question.

"They had to get rid of Fields"

I don't understand the question when it comes to "What if Caleb gets hurt?". As it stands, Tyson Bagent would be next up in line to start at QB if no veteran is added. That's what would happen "if Caleb gets hurt". Because... remember... they "had to get rid of Fields". As you stated.
The Bears added Brett Rypien.