• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ferentz and crew suck balls

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have one of the most boring, conservative and just plain stupid coaching staffs in the history of football. How could the good folks of Iowa have shelled out the kind of money to KF for this?

And we're stuck with him...

HORRIBLE
EMBARRASSING
RIDICULOUS

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been saying for years now, Iowa is already down by 5 points to start each game on the season (-8 against ranked teams). I can't believe the coaching futility that is on Iowa's sideline.

With no threat of improvement on offense - especially in the running game - time for the O-Line coach to feel the heat for the poor offensive line play.

Iowa has ZERO play makers on any side of the ball. And is the easiest team to prepare for in the country.

Offensively:
- Iowa's scored 31 points against and FCS team
- Against two CFP teams, Iowa has scored a total of 34 points

Frankly, the Athletics Department could save money by dismissing all of the coaches except for the head coach. It sure seems that KF is making EVERY call on every side of the ball.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing less than 9 wins per season is worth the money KF is getting paid. He goes out and gets Davis, a has been from TX to be the OC cause no one else wanted to come in and go so conservative, he keeps Phil Parker who doesn't seem to realize we need to have at least 8 d line guys to rotate and keep fresh.

I have never been ashamed to be a Hawkeye fan until today. I would rather have Fry back in there at his age, than keep KF...Barta really is the dumbest AD out there for giving KF this contract.

BTW, Fry was 16-4 vs ISU

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can honestly say, that I don't feel the play calling had any chance to win today's game. On any side of the ball. The team isn't getting better and the program is completely stagnant.

Iowa blitzed UNI and got burned. I think Parker's "raider" defensive packages/formations have been shelved for the season.

Iowa had to have averaged nearly 5 yards per carry right up the middle. Just can't understand why Iowa wasn't doing that every play. Iowa would have buried ISU today doing that.

I think the longest pass play went to the TE in the first half right down the middle for 20+ yards. Not one WR did anything today.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it would be nice, but no way KF is going to leave a cushy job with tons of money on the table, nor can Iowa really afford to buy him out, I think the payout is still around $17 million, so over the course of his life at Iowa, he will earn around $40 million for one Orange Bowl lost big time and one Orange Bowl won and a nice Cap One Bowl win vs LSU. The other bowl wins are nice but not considered big time in football and the losses, well...

KF is stuck in 2004, he has not progressed or moved up the ladder at all. To me, Barta needs to call him on the carpet first in a private meeting and then if the team still loses, he needs to make a public statement saying this is not Iowa football and we need to improve. That will save his job, which at this point, Sally should be yelling at him. Granted he has made some good hires, Fran, Heller, some new coaches and kept Bluder, but the long term KF contract pretty much balances that out. I hope he lights a fire under Brands too, this horrible run in wrestling is unacceptable as well.

I said 3 years ago KF's time was done then he went 4-8 and folks agreed, last year a bit of a turnaround, so folks gave him a reprieve while I still thought he should be out...now again a loss to ISU...No Iowa coach should EVER have a losing record to ISU. KF is happy to just do a decent job and collect his millions at this point and no one is ever going to make him resign so we are just stuck with this same type of team until 2020.

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually don't care any longer if we win or lose. The style of football we play actually makes me ANGRY while I watch it. 3rd and 8 in ISU territory and we run a draw up the middle? Really? That's all you've got? 3rd and 6....same situation....another draw up the middle. Short, boring passes to slow, outmatched receivers again and again and again. Draw plays, no misdirections whatsoever. The few decent/fast receivers we have sit on the bench all game long in favor of such speedsters as Vandeberg and KMM who probably average a 5.2 40 between them.

And defensively, we continue to leave the same D-lineman in for the ENTIRE F---ING GAME! Few substitutions so by the 3rd quarter these kids are so exhausted they're literally standing up and holding their ground.

Do the coaches not see this? I cannot understand for the life of me how you are a head coach at a D1 program and nobody can see what 100,000 other fans can see.

We line up to kick a FG and no kicker runs out onto the field. Then 2 run out simultaneously. Been watching football for over 30 years and haven't seen that one yet.

Ferentz never was a good coach, imho. I think he's just been lucky to win the games he has. His biggest moment of glory was likely the LSU Holloway win and he was so clueless that he didn't even know the clock ran down nearly 40 seconds to force us into that play.

I respect Ferentz and what he tries to do, but take that nonsense to some high school if you're going to try and hold a teaching program vs. winning games. Nobody I know likes this style of play and this is going to scare away any decent recruits and he's going to leave this program in worse shape than it already is....which is essentially one of the worst 10 teams in college football right now.

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's bad when the announcers are questioning play calls

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the sad part is KF would get very defensive if anyone said this to him and really he doesn't care, his number is 40 as in $40 million stolen from the U of Iowa for his years of service

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you guys have a bit of an overreaction. I still think Iowa has 9-10 wins. The year they won the Orange Bowl, Iowa started by blocking 2 field goals to win the game vs FCS team. They won by 10 vs an okay Pac 12 team. They beat a bad Arkansas State team by 3 points. They did dominate Iowa State that year.

But that season didn't start as a team that would end up winning the Orange Bowl. Iowa's conference schedule was much more difficult that season than it is this season. KF does develop defensive players fine and the tough conference games are in November.

I'll say Iowa has not looked as good as I hoped so far, but I'm not going to say their season is done quite yet.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually don't care any longer if we win or lose. The style of football we play actually makes me ANGRY while I watch it. 3rd and 8 in ISU territory and we run a draw up the middle? Really? That's all you've got? 3rd and 6....same situation....another draw up the middle. Short, boring passes to slow, outmatched receivers again and again and again. Draw plays, no misdirections whatsoever. The few decent/fast receivers we have sit on the bench all game long in favor of such speedsters as Vandeberg and KMM who probably average a 5.2 40 between them.

And defensively, we continue to leave the same D-lineman in for the ENTIRE F---ING GAME! Few substitutions so by the 3rd quarter these kids are so exhausted they're literally standing up and holding their ground.

Do the coaches not see this? I cannot understand for the life of me how you are a head coach at a D1 program and nobody can see what 100,000 other fans can see.

We line up to kick a FG and no kicker runs out onto the field. Then 2 run out simultaneously. Been watching football for over 30 years and haven't seen that one yet.

Ferentz never was a good coach, imho. I think he's just been lucky to win the games he has. His biggest moment of glory was likely the LSU Holloway win and he was so clueless that he didn't even know the clock ran down nearly 40 seconds to force us into that play.

I respect Ferentz and what he tries to do, but take that nonsense to some high school if you're going to try and hold a teaching program vs. winning games. Nobody I know likes this style of play and this is going to scare away any decent recruits and he's going to leave this program in worse shape than it already is....which is essentially one of the worst 10 teams in college football right now.

Hence; we have this thread.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the sad part is KF would get very defensive if anyone said this to him and really he doesn't care, his number is 40 as in $40 million stolen from the U of Iowa for his years of service

He didn't steal it.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been saying for years now, Iowa is already down by 5 points to start each game on the season (-8 against ranked teams). I can't believe the coaching futility that is on Iowa's sideline.

With no threat of improvement on offense - especially in the running game - time for the O-Line coach to feel the heat for the poor offensive line play.

Iowa has ZERO play makers on any side of the ball. And is the easiest team to prepare for in the country.

Offensively:
- Iowa's scored 31 points against and FCS team
- Against two CFP teams, Iowa has scored a total of 34 points

Frankly, the Athletics Department could save money by dismissing all of the coaches except for the head coach. It sure seems that KF is making EVERY call on every side of the ball.

Iowa has playmakers on both sides of the ball. Have for years. KF can find them in the rough, he just doesn't utlize them while they play at the U of I.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok so Barta stole it and gave it to him, haha, you know what I mean, What has KF really done since the Orange Bowl win? What are our signature wins there?

2010 went 8-5 and won Insight, 4-4 in conference big win, was against MSU at home
2011 went 7-6, lost Insight, 4-4 in conference, big win was Michigan at home
2012 went 4-8, no bowl, 2-6 in conference, no big wins at all
2013 went 8-5, lost Outback, 5-3 in conference, no big wins
2014 no signature wins, 2 escapes and one very sad loss

so 2 big wins in the last 4 years (big wins = wins vs ranked teams) and we know about this year...KF after the Orange Bowl is just sliding downhill. It might be early as Jerms says, but the precedent is not good...meanwhile, in 4 years, KF has made almost $15 million and will continue to pull down $3.65 million a year til 2020.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rest of the schedule

Pittsburgh - Will be a tough game, no doubt, but Iowa has done a great job at stopping the run game. Passing on Iowa's defense has been the downside (which was expected). Pitt is mainly a running team. Not an easy win by any means, but Iowa's defense should match up well for them.

Purdue - Purdue is 1-2. Only win was to one of MAC's worst teams and lost to CMU. They played ND well for a while. Purdue also sucks passing and running the ball.

Indiana - Coming into the season I was worried about Indiana. They have been an air raid team the past few years. This year, they are all running and a horrible defense. I think Iowa lines up with them pretty good.

Maryland - I expect this to be a loss for Iowa. Maryland is a passing team. However, KF is good at developing defenses during the season, so will the defense have enough experience to slow it down enough?

Northwestern - I don't think Iowa will go back to NW struggle again. NW is terrible.

Minnesota - They are all about running the ball with the big guy. Iowa should win this one.

Illinois - Will the pass defense for Iowa be developed enough for Illinois? If not, then will even be an unusual year for KF. His defenses usually get better as the season goes on. But Illinois is a passing team.

Wisconsin - I think this will be a low-scoring game. Iowa will stop Wisconsin's rushing attack. Wisconsin will stop whatever Iowa does. It will be a hard hitting game.

Nebraska - I think this will be the toughest game for Iowa this season. Wisconsin may or may not be a better team, but Iowa lines up better against Wisconsin. But I don't think it is unrealistic for Iowa to be able to beat them at this point of the season.

I still can see a 10 win season if they are consistent in stopping the run and develop their pass defense. Six of the teams they have left are run-first offenses, which is Iowa's defense strong point. Purdue is just awful. I still can see a 10-win season if the defense plays like they did vs Ball State.

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think any of us are overreacting Jerms. You do realize that we have alumni that continually give to this program. How about that $60 million new practice facility we have or the $86 million we pumped into the stadium back in 2008? We don't deserve this shit week in and week out. It'd be one thing if this were a rare occurrence but since 2006 Iowa has lost 12 games when favored by double digits, the next closest team in the B1G has 3 losses. That's a coaching issue. He called a fucking timeout after ISU scored a touchdown. He ran draw plays on 3rd and 8 and 3rd and 6 inside ISUs territory and he knows we have no one that can kick within 30 yards of an upright. The bottom line is this guy needs to go and sooner than later. Barta needs to find a MAC school that is happy with a good season every 8 years and he can take Captain Kirk with him. Iowa football is a fucking tragedy and we all have to watch this shit every week. I get three months every year to watch the insanity of Iowa football and I'm fucking sick of it.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think any of us are overreacting Jerms. You do realize that we have alumni that continually give to this program. How about that $60 million new practice facility we have or the $86 million we pumped into the stadium back in 2008? We don't deserve this shit week in and week out. It'd be one thing if this were a rare occurrence but since 2006 Iowa has lost 12 games when favored by double digits, the next closest team in the B1G has 3 losses. That's a coaching issue. He called a fucking timeout after ISU scored a touchdown. He ran draw plays on 3rd and 8 and 3rd and 6 inside ISUs territory and he knows we have no one that can kick within 30 yards of an upright. The bottom line is this guy needs to go and sooner than later. Barta needs to find a MAC school that is happy with a good season every 8 years and he can take Captain Kirk with him. Iowa football is a fucking tragedy and we all have to watch this shit every week. I get three months every year to watch the insanity of Iowa football and I'm fucking sick of it.

What does how much people put into those things have anything to do with it? Because they suck, they should have a facility 10+ years behind every other athletic program in a major conference? Because they suck, I have to go to a stadium that is not as good as it can be when I go watch them in person?

Ferentz has 2 conference championships in 15 seasons
Fry had 3 in 20 years

Ferentz has had 12 seasons bowl eligible seasons (11 bowl games)
Fry had 14 seasons bowl eligible (14 bowl games)

Ferentz has 2 seasons with 11 wins (4 with double-digit winning seasons)
Fry had 3 double-digit winning seasons
*I compared Ferentz 11 wins to Fry's double digit because Fry coached during 11-game seasons and most of Ferentz's was 12

Ferentz has finished in the Top 10 four times
Fry finished in the Top 10 twice

You want Fry to be interim head coach, but I think he is very comparable with 5 less seasons. Also, in 2012, Iowa replaced pretty much all their assistant coaches. I bet that had something to do with struggles.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok so Barta stole it and gave it to him, haha, you know what I mean, What has KF really done since the Orange Bowl win? What are our signature wins there?

2010 went 8-5 and won Insight, 4-4 in conference big win, was against MSU at home
2011 went 7-6, lost Insight, 4-4 in conference, big win was Michigan at home
2012 went 4-8, no bowl, 2-6 in conference, no big wins at all
2013 went 8-5, lost Outback, 5-3 in conference, no big wins
2014 no signature wins, 2 escapes and one very sad loss

so 2 big wins in the last 4 years (big wins = wins vs ranked teams) and we know about this year...KF after the Orange Bowl is just sliding downhill. It might be early as Jerms says, but the precedent is not good...meanwhile, in 4 years, KF has made almost $15 million and will continue to pull down $3.65 million a year til 2020.

I agree, he not worth the money

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, he not worth the money

Honestly, I don't think any of these coaches are worth the money. I don't think any of the pro athletes are worth that money. I've given up talking about the salaries of these guys a long time ago.