• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fellas... do not post any recruiting lists or offers from Rivals.com

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we will find out at the tailgate......

Jeffro mad he didn't get an invite. Jerm ready to drink some Arbor Mist.

sp_0910_02_v6.jpg

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word has it Rivals has a "Tidbit" on Dillon Christopher. Can't read it but I imagine its something about todays visit that Kickermom was so nice enough to share with us. Wonder if they cited Sportshoopla.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sparko posted this yesterday..

"Getting back on-topic :: this was posted on the Bama forum concerning Kirven's visit .. Sounds to me like VT is still very well in the thick of it .. and UVA is not

Kirven's Visit to Bama

In other news -- Temple's OC taking off to OC at Auburn -- not sure how that will affect the Deloatch verbal"

^^^That link and post was deleted. If any of you remember reading it,the Bama poster blatantly copied and pasted an article from the rivals pay side. He even said.."from the rivals pay side"...1 word

..ahh. I dont even have to say it.

I will give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he was a new poster.

Anyways. Enough said about this topic for me. Will do what I can to protect our :hail: SportsHoopla Sanctuary

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't understand how this site is catching so much flak when you can go to certain team sites (I won't mention names, some people here probably know what I'm talking about) and they blatantly post pay material over there on a free site. I'm not talking about lists, I'm talking about full-blown articles. What gives?

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't understand how this site is catching so much flak when you can go to certain team sites (I won't mention names, some people here probably know what I'm talking about) and they blatantly post pay material over there on a free site. I'm not talking about lists, I'm talking about full-blown articles. What gives?
theymad

m477hokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not really my realm of knowledge, but I was under the impression that unless that SOPA thing is passed, the management of this site isn't responsible for what users post on it (although those sites all have disclaimers). I'd be interested to hear what a copyright lawyer has to say about this.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This is the #1 reason I will not give my $$$ to Ri____ if they would open their eyes and see that information comes out just as fast (sometimes faster) on twitter and WOM of those close to the VT program, not to mention the fact that most of the recruits have twitter and facebook and when they get an offer they get excited and post that they have received it. I respect what Ri_____ has built and they have great free side tools that give any joe blow off the street a chance to search for a recruit and see their information for free.

Between the Ri____ free side, 247 and Scout free side we have build a very complete listing of those that have been offered, in no way have I (I cannot speak for anyone else on here) stolen information from Ri_____ because I do not have a subscription. I do use the Ri____ free search to see if a player has been offered, however that is a free service. I will never burn my sources because that is not right, but I do know people that are very close to the program at VT, as well as current players, players being recruited and their families, and the families of past players. Any information that I post as my own, you all can run with it and tell the world, I won't try and shut you down ;)

Go Hokies!

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I lied, one last thing I will say. I am sure that one thing that pisses "them" off, and maybe other subscription based internet outfits in refernece to this message board (The VT board in particular) is the way the material is presented. There are alot of good posters on the VT site, some of you have GREAT information, and GREAT sources. In addition to the word of mouth stuff, we all keep up with the free side of scout, 247, ri___, CBSports/Lemming, other message boards, team sites, twitter, facebook (see where I am going with this), etc. to bring it all together into one very resourceful, FREE, place to come to get all of your recruiting information. Essentially its one stop shopping for recruitniks (like ourselves) who like to come here and talk about these things, as well as general topics. I would imagine that boards like these coupled with social media (facebook and twitter in particular) have began to cut into their profits, and will continue to do so. Ri___ is scrambling now, trying to do what it can right now to discourage this. I saw reference in an earlier post (by VTFF I think) that Andy Bitter may have been contacted as well?? I imagine alot of different people were contacted by Ri___

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we should start saying Rivals instead of Ri___ when referencing their free side materials.

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:postwhore:

Just testing out my new title. Carry on.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is what I do not understand. We cite every new offer or commit that we hear about. I simply compile them at the top of the thread. Maybe the guys at Rivals do not know that I can edit the list, and do, regularly. Are they upset that we are making a list? Would I get in trouble for making a roster and adjusting it? I am not sure what is the issue.

Is the act of making a list of offers, which I do not see on the free side at Rivals (Scout and ESPN have one)the proprietary issue here?

I know that we have guys on our list that Rivals free side say do not have an offer, so the lists must be different as well.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Yes -- I think that is precisely what they have a problem with .. Why?? I don't know. Being devil's advocate, I'd say that more of their information here cuts down on the web traffic there, which in turn decreases their ability to get in your face and "talk you" into buying a subscription. With the exception of proprietary lists (like rivals100 or rivals250), I'd say that we are pretty well in the clear. We do no different with these lists than 1000's of people who tweet the shit, including reputable reporters. The entire list -- we should steer away from. Entire articles we should steer away from. The pay-side stuff -- for sure. As far as commits/offers/prospect info goes, I think we're better off not saying where we get the info AT ALL. No one can accuse you of using "their information" if they can't prove where you got it from. There are MANY sources that people have, some of them not being the internet. Not to mention that we could've gotten the info from an uncited source that stole their info .. That's not our responsibily either.

Let's just not mention their name anymore and be done with it. Here we are trying to give these services props for THEIR info and they have such a huge deal with it. Fuck them

Last edited by a moderator:

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have another question about lists. I've been compiling a spreadsheet of Tech players who have committed to, and/or signed with, Tech since 1995. Occasionally, I use that spreadsheet to put together lists that I post to the board from time to time. I have gathered the information for my spreadsheet from a variety of free sources over the years. Does Rivals have the right to tell me where or when I can post those lists? Do they have the right to tell SportsHoopla that they're in violation of some kind of intellectual property infringement if I post MY lists that Rivals may claim came from their material? Where does the legal reach of Rivals end?

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wheres Rodney Ruxin or Ari Gold when you need them