• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Favorite Rock Singers of All Time

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.

He formed a style called lounge singer.

he put the genre on the map, inspiring many of the great rock artists of the 60's, like beatles and rolling stones.

“No-one, but no-one, is his equal, or ever will be. He was, and is supreme.” Mick Jagger

Last edited:
Reactions: GNG

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he put the genre on the map, inspiring many of the great rock artists of the 60's, like beatles and rolling stones.

“No-one, but no-one, is his equal, or ever will be. He was, and is supreme.” Mick Jagger
The Beatles and Keith Richards would tell you Carl Perkins and Chuck Berry were far bigger influences than Elvis.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Beatles and Keith Richards would tell you Carl Perkins and Chuck Berry were far bigger influences than Elvis.

And Muddy was a bigger influence on the Stones than any.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

when did you talk to the beatles and rolling stones? when you were coon hunting? :rolleyes:

i'm sure they were influenced by a lot of people.

elvis was still bigger than god in the 50's, elevated rock and rock to dominance, and inspired them as musicians.

Nothing really affected me until I heard Elvis. If there hadn't been Elvis, there would not have been the Beatles.

John Lennon-The Beatles Encyclopedia

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elvis Presley's Musical Influence on America - dummies

Elvis combined different types of music to form a style called rockabilly, which became one of the key sounds in rock ’n’ roll.

He spread rock ’n’ roll music across the country, making it popular to a wide audience, especially teenagers. In that regard, he was a true innovator.
So, exactly what he said, moderately talented, massively popular.

He’s like the Nickleback of the early rock and roll scene. Did what other, more talented artists were already doing (better), but somehow became massively popular.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This. For every “there would be no x without Elvis” post, the truth is there would be no Elvis without the guys whose credit he gets because of his popularity.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where Rock was born

180px-SunRecord45.jpg

Sun Records - Wikipedia

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, exactly what he said, moderately talented, massively popular.

He’s like the Nickleback of the early rock and roll scene. Did what other, more talented artists were already doing (better), but somehow became massively popular.

i see true innovator in there, where does it say he was moderately talented?

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when did you talk to the beatles and rolling stones? when you were coon hunting? :rolleyes:

elvis was still bigger than god in the 50's, elevated rock and rock to dominance, and inspired them as musicians.

Nothing really affected me until I heard Elvis. If there hadn't been Elvis, there would not have been the Beatles.

Funny, he said those exact same words about Carl Perkins. The Beatles covered several Carl Perkins songs, and Elvis had no original material to cover, but I never heard the Beatles do Elvis. And George Harrison was terminally ill when he performed at Carl Perkins’ funeral

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i see true innovator in there, where does it say he was moderately talented?
Wat? Did you just call Nickleback a true innovator?

I suppose it checks out, considering your Elvis defense.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:thumb:

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny, he said those exact same words about Carl Perkins. The Beatles covered several Carl Perkins songs, and Elvis had no original material to cover, but I never heard the Beatles do Elvis. And George Harrison was terminally ill when he performed at Carl Perkins’ funeral

so you're point is what? elvis didn't inspire the beatles?

the beatles were influenced by many artists, including carl perkins. i'm not saying they tried to emulate elvis, although they did do 'all shook up.' but elvis being the biggest star of the 50's, and his large contribution in bringing rock and roll to prominence still inspired them as much if not more than anybody.

Barkeep

back behind the bar - pick your poison
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The King is dead. Long live the King.

2nd career. Post-Army

Bill Haley and Buddy Holly were the fathers of Modern Rock. Elvis was the Father of Gospel-voice rock.

I would throw "The Killer" Jerry Lee Lewis in there too...also a good singer.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So he was still doing better than Carl.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lolz at all the "ooo0000 Elvis" huggers.

Yeah, Elvis put 'rock & roll' on the mainstream map, per se, was talented on stage (for the time) blazing hip swangz & gyrations for the girls to oogle & parents to be shocked.

Didn't write his own music, had an above average gospel-type voice with a few rock/roll hits in the beginning. He wasn't all that, beyond being 'the trail blazer', compared to the many real rock vocalists that came after him.