• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Favorite Live Performances

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love my BluRay concerts during Happy hour outside on our patio. I've got many. Cream at Royal Albert Hall 2005, Clapton and Winwood MSG 2008, the Beck one, a Zeppelin (Song Remains the Same), an Elvis Costello and the Imposters, a Doors (Hollywood Bowl), Stop Making Sense (Talking Heads), Rattle and Hum, Woodstock, Hendrix (Blue Wild Angel), and a couple more.

Never got into Prince.

I just bought an Oppo205 and it can spin most discs...including BluRay so I'll get some eventually probably this fall. Right now I'm on this SACD kick...failed as a mass medium because it just was never going to compete with a 16/44 CD, but if you have the system to reveal it, the detail in the music is great, especially in multi channel.

Yeah, Prince probably appealed to more a R&B/Pop crowd, but his guitar work in concert, at least that concert (I never saw another one) was something Jimmy Page, Clapton, even the great Hendrix would appreciate.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just bought an Oppo205 and it can spin most discs...including BluRay so I'll get some eventually probably this fall. Right now I'm on this SACD kick...failed as a mass medium because it just was never going to compete with a 16/44 CD, but if you have the system to reveal it, the detail in the music is great, especially in multi channel.

Yeah, Prince probably appealed to more a R&B/Pop crowd, but his guitar work in concert, at least that concert (I never saw another one) was something Jimmy Page, Clapton, even the great Hendrix would appreciate.

I don't have any devices that are not old school.

Cable TV, no smart phone, CDs only for music, rent BluRay movies still ($3.50), etc.

Don't even know what SACD means.....

And I haven't gotten around to 4K TV yet either.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have any devices that are not old school.

Cable TV, no smart phone, CDs only for music, rent BluRay movies still ($3.50), etc.

Don't even know what SACD means.....

And I haven't gotten around to 4K TV yet either.

Well, albums and cassettes were the last of the analog music sources...(typical speakers can only output analog signals) obviously CDs ushered us into the digital age for music...of course digital is a file. 16 bit/44kHz is a standard CD file size...it was compressed to this size in the recording studio so the data would fit onto a CD.

Some audiophiles and musicians, etc. feel that compressed audio has to leave some details out of the original recording. SACD (super audio CD) are discs just like CD basically hi resolution files, they are not compressed the file size is maybe 20 times greater than a standard, you need a special player to play them (another reason they failed). Theoretically we should hear the music as the sound engineers intended with a SACD. My DVD player played it's last DVD about 6 mos ago so when I replaced it a universal disc player that could play SACDs was the replacement choice.

I only replace TVs when the break. We added a TV to our sun room addition...that's a 4k TV...I've played around with some free 4k content...yes, it's better, than 1080p even without 4k content, but I haven't run out and bought any 4k movies.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, albums and cassettes were the last of the analog music sources...(typical speakers can only output analog signals) obviously CDs ushered us into the digital age for music...of course digital is a file. 16 bit/44kHz is a standard CD file size...it was compressed to this size in the recording studio so the data would fit onto a CD.

Some audiophiles and musicians, etc. feel that compressed audio has to leave some details out of the original recording. SACD (super audio CD) are discs just like CD basically hi resolution files, they are not compressed the file size is maybe 20 times greater than a standard, you need a special player to play them (another reason they failed). Theoretically we should hear the music as the sound engineers intended with a SACD. My DVD player played it's last DVD about 6 mos ago so when I replaced it a universal disc player that could play SACDs was the replacement choice.

I only replace TVs when the break. We added a TV to our sun room addition...that's a 4k TV...I've played around with some free 4k content...yes, it's better, than 1080p even without 4k content, but I haven't run out and bought any 4k movies.

I've still got my dual 701 direct drive turntable for the vinyl I have. But you can't put it in a car....

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That whole concert is on Youtube I think. Absolutely fucking insane.

Yeah, I watched it the entire way through. Absolutely unbelievable. I think every song sounds better than it's studio version. It's mind blowing in 2017, I can't imagine what it must been like in 1970. Must have a felt like a hurricane blew through the building. Anyone who says Ozzy wasn't a great vocalist, needs to see that too. His vocals are stunning.

Ward and Iommi completely in sync with each other, at the top of their game. It really doesn't get any better. That show being pre-drug/alcohol addiction for all four of them, may have something to do with it. lol

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've still got my dual 701 direct drive turntable for the vinyl I have. But you can't put it in a car....

I'm envious!

There are a lot of audiophiles that spend stupid amounts of money on audio think the vinyl is still the best medium out there. I hate I got rid of my collection...just never saw myself using them again.

I will say this...I have Dark Side Of The Moon on SACD multi channel, and it makes me want to roll a fatty! It's amazing!

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm envious!

There are a lot of audiophiles that spend stupid amounts of money on audio think the vinyl is still the best medium out there. I hate I got rid of my collection...just never saw myself using them again.

I will say this...I have Dark Side Of The Moon on SACD multi channel, and it makes me want to roll a fatty! It's amazing!

I've got several Lincoln Mayorga direct to disc albums that are the best I've ever heard. There is a version of Peace Train (Cat Stevens) and you swear the drum kit is in the room. My stand alone stereo is a beast, large Klipsch speakers....

I also used to buy British EMI import albums at a premium. My Sgt Peppers is stunning as well.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got several Lincoln Mayorga direct to disc albums that are the best I've ever heard. There is a version of Peace Train (Cat Stevens) and you swear the drum kit is in the room. My stand alone stereo is a beast, large Klipsch speakers....

I also used to buy British EMI import albums at a premium. My Sgt Peppers is stunning as well.

Klipsch...good stuff. They are known for the horn tweeters. Back in the day I was saving up for a pair of Klipschorns...they were about $4k a pair back in a '85.

Klipschorn Floorstanding Speakers | Klipsch

I ended up buy a pair of Linn speakers, and got married a few years later and never circled back to the Klipschorns.

I have some nice speakers...B&W 804n, but they're 20 yrs old, giving them to my son who loves music as well. I've ordered maybe my last pair of speakers unless I hit the lottery or something. I've got a pair of Salks floor standers on the way.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I watched it the entire way through. Absolutely unbelievable. I think every song sounds better than it's studio version. It's mind blowing in 2017, I can't imagine what it must been like in 1970. Must have a felt like a hurricane blew through the building. Anyone who says Ozzy wasn't a great vocalist, needs to see that too. His vocals are stunning.

Ward and Iommi completely in sync with each other, at the top of their game. It really doesn't get any better. That show being pre-drug/alcohol addiction for all four of them, may have something to do with it. lol

Yeah that was really when they were at the top of their game. I don't know that I've seen a better live performance. Would have been surreal to be there in person.

Can't say I disagree about those being better than the studio versions. Paranoid, Fairies Wear Boots, Hand of Doom, and N.I.B. in particular are probably my favs from that concert. Interesting to listen to some of the alternate lyrics.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that was really when they were at the top of their game. I don't know that I've seen a better live performance. Would have been surreal to be there in person.

Can't say I disagree about those being better than the studio versions. Paranoid, Fairies Wear Boots, Hand of Doom, and N.I.B. in particular are probably my favs from that concert. Interesting to listen to some of the alternate lyrics.

Those are literally the one's I was gonna name. Especially Fairies Wear Boots. Much more of a raw/grittier feel to it than the album.

Calm

What say there fuzzy britches, feel like talkin'?
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KISS has kind of become a joke these days IMO, but I went back and listened to some of their earliest stuff a little while ago and now I remember why I loved them as a kid.

As a young, impressionable child, this song right here blew my mind:

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Klipsch...good stuff. They are known for the horn tweeters. Back in the day I was saving up for a pair of Klipschorns...they were about $4k a pair back in a '85.

I ended up buy a pair of Linn speakers, and got married a few years later and never circled back to the Klipschorns.

I have some nice speakers...B&W 804n, but they're 20 yrs old, giving them to my son who loves music as well. I've ordered maybe my last pair of speakers unless I hit the lottery or something. I've got a pair of Salks floor standers on the way.

Mine are slightly smaller, La Scallas. Plus I have some JBL pro series bullet tweeters for additional highs.

Used to own B&Ws myself. Mine were a bookshelf DM4.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mine are slightly smaller, La Scallas. Plus I have some JBL pro series bullet tweeters for additional highs.

Used to own B&Ws myself. Mine were a bookshelf DM4.

Hang on to those...La Scallas are great, especially for rock music.

The B&W line is pretty good throughout but the 800 series is where they compete with the best speakers made...the D3 (new 800 series diamond tweeter line) is just way over priced...the new 804 D3 (the new version of my speakers) cost $9k now...crazy.

The Salks have, better drivers, better crossover...will outperform even the new B&W804 D3 for roughly half the price. But, they're built to order, and right now he's backed up...so I've got a couple more months. I'm not in a hurry.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My 22 yr old Klipsch speakers still going strong. Get nasty looks from the neighbors when I set the volume to 5

packerzrule

Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
can't find a link to it but Floyd's Delicate Sound of Thunder is a must

packerzrule

Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38