• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fantasy TEAM Noob Rate my team

49ERSPN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IN an 10 man H2H league, gimme your suggestions and rate my team!

C Salvador Perez, KC C DTD
1B Paul Goldschmidt, Ari 1B
2B Matt Carpenter, StL 2B, 3B
3B David Wright, NYM 3B
SS Elvis Andrus, Tex SS DTDRecent News
2B/SS Jose Altuve, Hou 2B
1B/3B Kyle Seager, Sea 3B
OF Carlos Gomez, Mil OFRecent News
OF Matt Holliday, StL OF
OF Starling Marte, Pit OFBreaking News
OF Desmond Jennings, TB OF
OF Austin Jackson, Det OF
UTIL Kelly Johnson, NYY OF, 2B

PITCHERS
P Yu Darvish, Tex SP DTDBreaking News
P Chris Sale, CWS SP
P Homer Bailey, Cin SP DTDBreaking News
P Hisashi Iwakuma, Sea SP DTDBreaking News
P Clay Buchholz, Bos SP
P Chris Tillman, Bal SPRecent News
Bench Ivan Nova, NYY SP
Bench Dillon Gee, NYM SPBreaking News
Bench Grant Balfour, TB RP

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

C Salvador Perez, KC C DTD
1B Paul Goldschmidt, Ari 1B
2B Matt Carpenter, StL 2B, 3B
3B David Wright, NYM 3B
SS Elvis Andrus, Tex SS DTDRecent News
2B/SS Jose Altuve, Hou 2B
1B/3B Kyle Seager, Sea 3B
OF Carlos Gomez, Mil OFRecent News
OF Matt Holliday, StL OF
OF Starling Marte, Pit OFBreaking News
OF Desmond Jennings, TB OF
OF Austin Jackson, Det OF
UTIL Kelly Johnson, NYY OF, 2B

PITCHERS
P Yu Darvish, Tex SP DTDBreaking News
P Chris Sale, CWS SP
P Homer Bailey, Cin SP DTDBreaking News
P Hisashi Iwakuma, Sea SP DTDBreaking News
P Clay Buchholz, Bos SP
P Chris Tillman, Bal SPRecent News
Bench Ivan Nova, NYY SP
Bench Dillon Gee, NYM SPBreaking News
Bench Grant Balfour, TB RP

Admin needs to move this thread to the fantasy baseball forum.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Head to Head is for football.... It is fun to try it in baseball, but there absolutely no skill required. You just have to hope you get lucky each week.

In other words, your roster is fine. Have fun and good luck! I'd suggest proposing a ton of trades. They really can't help you win, but they are fun to negotiate.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Head to Head is for football.... It is fun to try it in baseball, but there absolutely no skill required. You just have to hope you get lucky each week.

In other words, your roster is fine. Have fun and good luck! I'd suggest proposing a ton of trades. They really can't help you win, but they are fun to negotiate.

No skill? Fantasy baseball requires more skill than any other fantasy sport by a wide margin.

Your team looks solid, but it is hard to advise without knowing the specific scoring format.

Again, without knowing specifics, in a 10 man league, I am sure you can do better than Kelly Johnson in your utility spot. He is okay for a low end 2B/SS option, but you have that filled already. There has to be an OF or CI player who will give you better numbers.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Negative ghost rider. . Very very negative

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Douche alert

49ERSPN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No skill? Fantasy baseball requires more skill than any other fantasy sport by a wide margin.

Your team looks solid, but it is hard to advise without knowing the specific scoring format.

Again, without knowing specifics, in a 10 man league, I am sure you can do better than Kelly Johnson in your utility spot. He is okay for a low end 2B/SS option, but you have that filled already. There has to be an OF or CI player who will give you better numbers.
I dropped Kelly Johnson for Jason Castro, C.
SCORING
Batting
Home Runs (HR) 5 Total Bases (TB) 1
Walks (BB) 1 Runs Scored (R) 1
Runs Batted In (RBI) 3 Stolen Bases (SB) 2
Strikeouts (K) -1 Intentional Walks (IBB) 1
Hitting for the Cycle (CYC) 10

Pitching
Innings Pitched (IP) 3 Earned Runs (ER) -2
Wins (W) 10 Losses (L) -5
Saves (SV) 5 Strikeouts (K) 1
Hits Allowed (H) -1 Walks Issued (BB) -1
Shutouts (SO) 10

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dropped Kelly Johnson for Jason Castro, C.
SCORING
Batting
Home Runs (HR) 5 Total Bases (TB) 1
Walks (BB) 1 Runs Scored (R) 1
Runs Batted In (RBI) 3 Stolen Bases (SB) 2
Strikeouts (K) -1 Intentional Walks (IBB) 1
Hitting for the Cycle (CYC) 10

Pitching
Innings Pitched (IP) 3 Earned Runs (ER) -2
Wins (W) 10 Losses (L) -5
Saves (SV) 5 Strikeouts (K) 1
Hits Allowed (H) -1 Walks Issued (BB) -1
Shutouts (SO) 10

That is actually worse.

Catchers and MIs (2B/SS) generally get ranked higher than their production would otherwise be worth because they are both talent scarce positions that are difficult to fill. Castro is a good C option, but catchers almost never play every day of the week, and it if your guy is not getting as many ABs, he is not scoring as many points.

As for the rest, you did an excellent job stacking your bench with quality pitching options (it is always more important to have pitching depth than hitting depth in points leagues).

Iwakuma is going to start the season on the DL. He is an awesome pitcher so you need to hold him, but Gee is in line for 2 starts and should be inserted in his place. Also, you may need to consider benching Darvish. He was scratched from his scheduled start and may or may not pitch next week. Either Nova or Balfour would make for a solid replacement, but I would lean towards the closer with 7 games.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Negative ghost rider. . Very very negative

Douche alert

I was only speaking about "Head-to-Head"... They rely on how your set of players do in any given week - not on the accumulation of stats... You could have the best team and have a bad week. Just pure luck.... There is not much skill required, and trades are harder to come by.

I agree fantasy baseball requires more skill than any other - as long as you're in a roto league. H2H and FP are more for fun...

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is actually worse.

Catchers and MIs (2B/SS) generally get ranked higher than their production would otherwise be worth because they are both talent scarce positions that are difficult to fill. Castro is a good C option, but catchers almost never play every day of the week, and it if your guy is not getting as many ABs, he is not scoring as many points.

As for the rest, you did an excellent job stacking your bench with quality pitching options (it is always more important to have pitching depth than hitting depth in points leagues).

Iwakuma is going to start the season on the DL. He is an awesome pitcher so you need to hold him, but Gee is in line for 2 starts and should be inserted in his place. Also, you may need to consider benching Darvish. He was scratched from his scheduled start and may or may not pitch next week. Either Nova or Balfour would make for a solid replacement, but I would lean towards the closer with 7 games.

Very solid advice! :agree:

49ERSPN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for your advice got rid of Castro, picked up Ryan Howard, 1B off free agents. Proj. to get 26 HR and looks like he's gonna have more at bats

49ERSPN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should I trade Jose Altuve and pick up Jimmy Rollins??

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should I trade Jose Altuve and pick up Jimmy Rollins??

Absolutely not. Altuve has is already an elite SB player. And he still has the potential to be serviceable at HR. His only downfall is his team. And even the Astros might be a good offense. Rollins has nothing on altuve so why trade and then be stuck with Rollins??

49ERSPN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cool, thanks milkspiller saved me on that one

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was only speaking about "Head-to-Head"... They rely on how your set of players do in any given week - not on the accumulation of stats... You could have the best team and have a bad week. Just pure luck.... There is not much skill required, and trades are harder to come by.

I agree fantasy baseball requires more skill than any other - as long as you're in a roto league. H2H and FP are more for fun...

It could very easily be argued that same amount of "luck" can be applied to any successful fantasy team, in any sport, in any format, even those that only count a cumulative, yeast end score.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could very easily be argued that same amount of "luck" can be applied to any successful fantasy team, in any sport, in any format, even those that only count a cumulative, yeast end score.

As I am agreeing with 2 different sides a bit here, here is my $ .02.

IMO, the luck factor is there, and is there for all fantasy play. However, it only really comes into play once your roster is set. In H2H, this is a weekly deal. As such, after the rosters are set, you can be lucky or unlucky ( usually health related ) from then.

Where it factors less is for those in daily change leagues. From my logic above, there is just less time for luck to be a factor. And, while it may not take any more skill or knowledge to play in daily leagues, it does take more time and attention. And, to the point that those are a skill unto themselves, as those who make the better roster moves, and those who make the most ( especially in leagues where there are games caps for hitters, and innings caps for pitchers ) tend to end up doing the best in the end.

JMO

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed BigD.. But regardless of right or wrong, if there even is a right or wrong answer, it's just juvenile to blast someone's choice of format because it's your opinion that it doesn't take as much skill.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Steve,

No offense, but I am guessing that you have either never played in a challenging H2H format (there are many different kinds) or you are not very successful in those that you do play in.

Sure, there is somewhat more luck in any H2H format when compared to roto, but there are also many layers of strategy that do not apply in roto and every bit as much skill required. That is unless you have played in a super shallow points league, in which case you are somewhat correct.

Just don't make the mistake of lumping all H2H leagues in with the minority. Most are quite challenging.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed BigD.. But regardless of right or wrong, if there even is a right or wrong answer, it's just juvenile to blast someone's choice of format because it's your opinion that it doesn't take as much skill.

I have to tread kind of lightly here, as I do say loud and often how much easier fantasy football is than fantasy baseball, from the daily vs. weekly angle. And, how that is a reason why I don't play fantasy football, just as it IS a reason some do football.

So....

Maybe I can just file this under "Pick and choose your battles carefully".