• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fales

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Fales will take over for Jimmy as Jimmy sucks. And Fales will be our answer at QB. Gut feeling but this kid just gets it. Not the biggest, not the strongest arm, but he is good between the ears and knows how to win. Were gonna find out now at least. We'll know if we need a QB with our first pick next year or if we can draft other. Were not winning any thing this year anyway so I'm a little glad that Fales will get a shot. At least well know either way before next draft.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our QB of the future, is currently not on the roster.

Yep, and what most dont understand, a good back up is not on the roster either, its not in the budget. But nobody wanted to move up and draft a QB in the first or third round either, just trying to find the next Brady late.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The sad thing is there aren't any QB's worth taking in the 1st round- UNLESS you have the #1 pick and even then it's a big gamble. Unless the next Luck/Manning is there I would go Oline/Dline. We've all seen what a good QB and no defense can do to your team.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is always gonna be a brady, mettenberger, russell Wilson out there to quiet the ones that say there is no good QB to take after the first pick. Its a team allowing competition, proper coaching, proper support with a veteran backup. A fan base that understands growing pains also helps.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is always gonna be a brady, mettenberger, russell Wilson out there to quiet the ones that say there is no good QB to take after the first pick. Its a team allowing competition, proper coaching, proper support with a veteran backup. A fan base that understands growing pains also helps.

1. You are correct there COULD be a 6th round Brady, or 3rd round Russell... but it's simply luck to find them and unfortunate opportunity they get a chance (Drew Bledsoe spleen, Matt Flynn flopping) Not a single person on the planet said that the 6th round QB picked 199th was going to go on to win 4 SB's.
And more often then not- If they do end up playing they are looked at as career backups or bridge players.
2. after reading your last sentence...I almost fell out of my chair... I hope you don't expect that from this Chicago Fan base.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First rounders are considered huge flops, JaMarcus Russell. Fales is one of those try to get the next unexpected one. This year they waited til undrafted free agents to sign Shane Carden. You just never know if things you did not see on film were based on how that line protected them in college. They even brought Gases ex lightning in a bottle kid Zac Dysert from Denver for a cup of coffee here. Teams dont want to spend 20 million on quarterbacks. Offensive coordinators want to grow their own and even growing your own first rounder is probably like dealing with a veteran.

Nobody usually notices when the 6th rounders are cut.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Bridgewater was taken 22nd overall, Carr (who looks better and better every day) 36th, Flacco 18th, Cutler (!) 11th, Roethlisberger 11th, Brees 32nd, Hasselbeck 187th, Rodgers 24th, Brett Favre 33rd, Jim Kelly 14th, Dan Marino 27th, Joe Montana 82nd, Dan Fouts 64th, Lynn Dickey 64th, Ken Anderson 67th,

To say nothing of some of the great undrafteds. Steve Young anyone? Bernie Kosar? Joe Namath?

Looking back at NFL Draft history, there really are only a few things that clearly can be said and that actually play out:

1) quarterback is the position most likely to strike out, so it must be drafted often.
2) while great QBs do tend to come from higher rounds, there certainly is no guarantee of that, both in terms of 1st rounders that failed and later guys that succeed.
3) In no way, shape, or form is the only place a good QB comes from the 1st or 2nd pick in the draft. Sure, some great ones have been 1s or 2s, but so have other guys.

This being said, it is possible that the Bears are on track towards a high pick this year. There are worse outcomes for 2015, that's for sure.

2015 was always a development year. Nobody around here thought this was a playoff team, so who gives a shit? The only offensive player whose development really matters this year - Kevin White - is already on the shelf for a good chunk of the year, so that makes no difference. The main thing to watch is how, and if, the defense matures. That hasn't been changed by coming out with the 0-2 start we all saw coming.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matthew Stafford and Luck are two of the first pick QB's that have proven themselves somewhat worthy. Maybe Winston proves out, but since 2009, those two QB's are it so far. 79 QB's drafted only a handful have become descent, forgetting for one second only 1 looks special (luck, so far). The ESPN radio program I was listening to this afternoon was talking about this very thing. Who's backing up Romo? Why aren't there descent back ups out there? Should the NFL change how they train back ups? Why do we expect someone who only gets limited reps with second and third stringers to somehow get better after 2 years? etc... etc... (Sounded like someone was butt hurt their starting QB in FF is gone for 8 weeks).

Like folks have mentioned, like I have mentioned, it isn't easy finding a great QB. NO you don't stop trying, but I wish the Bears good luck. There are 16 teams easy looking for a descent QB, much less hoping upon hope another Aaron Rodgers is out there somewhere.

Edit: Also, as great as A. Rodgers is (arguably the best in the NFL right now) how many SuperBowl rings has he won? 1, a single one. That's it. Maybe he will get more, but Wilson has more and he's not up to A. Rodgers abilities throwing the ball, running sure, but throwing, um no.

C

cubzzzfanincali

First of all, I would say there are least 2 that may meet the criteria of "somewhat worthy" from last year's draft alone, in Carr and Bridgewater, and possibly one or two others.

I guess it depends on the meaning of the word "decent." I'd use it to suggest a QB that not only starts but in theory has at least an outside chance of leading a team that otherwise is good enough to get to a SB, then I would list all of the following since 2009 that could do that (ignoring the 2014 and 2015 picks, since for now it's too easy to debate and too hard to actually know anything yet):

Tannehill
Luck
Wilson
Newton
Kaepernick (he did, let's not forget, come within one series of terrible play calls from winning a SB)
Stafford

and very debatably Bradford (if he could stay healthy) and Dalton.

In 5 years of drafts, that's 6-8 guys. Not 2.

The idea of a "minor league" would definitely help develop more QBs, but as it is now look at how awful the main event has become due to the shortened training camps. This is the worst 2 weeks of football I can ever remember. It's horrible. I don't ever remember seeing so many basic screwups...did any of you happen to see that appalling Dallas-Philly game? My God. Watching the Seattle offensive line is excruciating....and I don't even like Seattle. This is a direct result of shortened training camps. While a minor leagues would certainly help improve the play level, given how paranoid both the league and players are about adding more practice time and getting more potential health lawsuits down the road, I don't see it happening.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not to mention they dont tackle anybody in practice anymore.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's cool that none believe but me. I stand by it. Fales will be our starting QB and be the reason we don't spend our first pick next year at QB. Get ready too learn. Jump on the wagon when you get comfortable, no hurry.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The sad thing is there aren't any QB's worth taking in the 1st round- UNLESS you have the #1 pick and even then it's a big gamble. Unless the next Luck/Manning is there I would go Oline/Dline. We've all seen what a good QB and no defense can do to your team.

Theres always freeagency.......

Not sure who would be there tho...... But I'm looking for a change.
Jay just hinders this offense way too much.
The only bright spot is Forte...... And we still can't find a way too get him in the endzone inside the five....

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you'll get to see what life without Jay Cutler is like the next few weeks. And there isn't a free agent next year worth paying. Everyone has resigned deals. I think maybe only Bradford is out there... And if the Eagles don't resign him you gotta ask why?
That would be his 3rd team in 3 years. Not an answer either.

If Jay can play like he did the first two games when he's healthy, and see some progress from other areas of the team... You gotta go w/Jay and draft pick for next year.

Note: if Gase makes Jay look good, he could be gone with next head coaching job shuffle.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
posted this on the main board a few weeks ago...it fits here now:
Let's go back 10 drafts: Who are these Franchise saving QB's that were drafted in the first round? How many of them actually worked out? How many still have question marks? How many are even still active?
2006:
Vince Young- FPC OUT OF LEAGUE
Matt Lienart- FPC OUT OF LEAGUE
Jay Cutler (<oh the Horror!!) Legit Starter
2007:
JaMarcus Russell (ha)- FPC (Former #1 pick) OUT OF LEAGUE
Brady Quinn- FPC OUT OF LEAGUE
2008:
Matt Ryan- Legit Starter.
Joe Flacco- Legit Starter. Flacco had one really good playoff run. He's decent.
2009:
Mathew Stafford-(#1 pick) Legit Starter who throws too many picks.
Mark Sanchez- Serviceable when not butt fumbling. NOT a starter 3rd team... what team now?
Josh Freeman- FPC OUT OF LEAGUE
2010:
Sam Bradford- (#1 pick) We think he's a legit starter- but injuries leave him Questionable
Tim Tebow- ha FPC OUT OF LEAGUE
2011:
Cam Newton-(#1 pick) Legit Starter
Jake Locker- OUT OF THE LEAGUE
Blaine Gabbert- FPC
Christian Ponder- FPC
2012:
Andrew Luck-(#1 pick) Franchise QB
Robert Griffin III- We think he may be a serviceable starter, but he's hurt a lot too and now lost job.
Ryan Tannehill- Legit Starter
Brandon Weeden- FPC
2013:
EJ Manuel- FPC now 3rd string
2014:
Blake Bortles- Questions still unanswered.
Johnny Manziel- LOTS of questions- beat out by a guy with a 1-10 record last year.
Teddy Bridgewater- Legit Starter after one season.
2015:
Jameis Winston-(#1 pick) Rookie Questions
Marcus Mariota- Rookie Questions

26 Quarterbacks taken in the past 10 drafts in the first round. How many are "Franchise QB's" vs legit starters vs Serviceable spot starter vs Still Question Mark OR Flaming Pile of Crap or "FPC"?

For these percentages I'm going with the 24- as Jameis and Marcus have yet to play a game...
7 of them are OUT OF THE LEAGUE. 29% (Young, Lienert, Russell, Quinn, Freeman, Tebow, Locker)
4 are Questionable 17% (Manziel, Bortels, Griffin, Bradford)
5 are Flaming Piles of Crap or Non-starters 20% (Weeden, Manuel, Gabbert, Ponder, Sanchez)
7 are Legit starters. 29% (Bridgewater, Newton, Tannehill, Stafford, Ryan, Flacco, Cutler)
1 is a Bonafide "Franchise QB" 4% (Andrew Luck)

So based on the past 10 DRAFTS. If you are looking to get a QB for your team in the first round you only have a 33% chance he's going to be a long term legit starter. (and you needed a #1 pick on three of them)
It's more likely (67% likely) that your first round pick QB will have question marks, be flaming piles of crap (that you'll replace again anyway) or be out of the league in a few years.

Regardless if your looking at this as a Jay Cutler hating Bears fans or whatever team you cheer for and your Quarterbacking needs... Drafting a first round QB is dangerous. "Tank for the Draft" Nah... I'd rather see them play hard, get some wins to boost team morale and keep the machine in a positive direction. (losing 12+ games isn't good for anybody) Winning 7 or 8 and being in contention for most games is a much better indicator of future success. IMO
Spend that top 10-14 pick on an Offensive or Defensive lineman... Get better. And go find a QB in later rounds.
NOTE: I have not looked closely at next years potential 1st round QB's... but from what I've seen- it's more of the same. There just isn't anymore Peyton Manning's or Andrew Luck's out there.

Today (2 weeks into season Jay out 2 weeks+) a solid Oline/Dline you have a much better chance of winning with a middle of the road QB... then you do with a good/great QB with bad Oline/Dline. Look at Luck the first two weeks the season.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to wobder why Fales nade it past waivers if he is a starter to be......31 teams passed on him for one reson or another.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to wobder why Fales nade it past waivers if he is a starter to be......31 teams passed on him for one reson or another.
32 teams passed on Brady 6 times. I'm not sure what your point is.