• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Falcons have cut Roddy White

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure about that, with Benjamin, Funchess, Ginn, Brown, and even old man Cotchery already there.
Good point, but he's better than Cotchery imo....he's be no better than WR4 on that squad.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad but it's time. Realistically it's irrelevant. Falcons have the best WR in football and a QB that throws a great deep ball yet the team never throws the ball down the field til they're forced to. Some of that is the OL but most if it is shitty scheme. If you have a great HR hitter but you ask him y o bunt 90% of his at bats it is pointless.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like he could be finished, guy was a good 1 for a long time.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt he signs with anyone to start the season. Maybe a mid year sign when a team loses a couple WR's to injury.
I was thinking the same thing. I could see BB taking a look at him during camp like he does to many old vets. Get a feel for what he has and if there is anything there try enticing him to a vet minimum contract. Or wait and see if he's around when the WRs start going down. Problem for BB is that White doesn't have multiple knee injuries that I'm aware of? Seems that's all BB likes to sign lately.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone desperate will take a chance on him because of his name value, just like the Colts did last year with Andre Johnson.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone desperate will take a chance on him because of his name value, just like the Colts did last year with Andre Johnson.

Big difference in the 2. Andre Johnson his last 3 years with the Texans still put up pretty good to very good numbers all 3 years. He was still showing to be a quality player.

To compare--Final 3 years in Houston he averaged 1,314 yards per season.
Roddy White averaged 713 yards per season. So almost half the production of Andre Johnson. So that signing was more than just a name signing for the Colts. Yes we all knew his best days were behind him but I think the Colts thought they could get 1 good year out of him to push for the Super Bowl with a great QB.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big difference in the 2. Andre Johnson his last 3 years with the Texans still put up pretty good to very good numbers all 3 years. He was still showing to be a quality player.

Roddy White averaged 713 yards per season. So almost half the production of Andre Johnson. So that signing was more than just a name signing for the Colts. Yes we all knew his best days were behind him but I think the Colts thought they could get 1 good year out of him to push for the Super Bowl with a great QB.

No doubt Johnson was the better player but last year was really White's worse year in a while. The were his last 3 years before last year:

2012 - 16 games/1,351 yards/7 TD's
2013 - 13 games/711 yards/3 TD's
2014 - 14 games/921 yards/7 TD's

If he plays full seasons in '13 & '14 he might be looking at 1,000+ seasons but of course injuries are apart of the game especially at his age.

Also you have to remember that Roddy White hasn't been the Falcons #1 WR since they drafted Jones where as Andre Johnson was the #1 for the Texans so there's that. For a #2 WR those aren't bad numbers.

If he doesn't haven't any nagging injuries I see no problem with a team lacking depth at WR giving him a shot, maybe he rebounds maybe he doesn't but he's not going to demand too much money since he is nearing the end of his career so I think it's a low risk high reward situation for any team willing to take a chance on him.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As a comparison...you're right, IND was bringing AJ in to be a 1/ strong2...Roddy will be a 3rd or 4th.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a comparison...you're right, IND was bringing AJ in to be a 1/ strong2...Roddy will be a 3rd or 4th.

Can't blame the Colts for trying. They had just come off a year where they got close to the Super Bowl. They made a huge push while Andrew Luck still didn't cost a ton to surround him with a ton of talent. The problem is the Colts FO has shown they struggle in knowing the best way to build a team. They have always focused on getting skill players and neglecting the Trenches on both sides of the ball. They expect the QB to overcome any shortcomings the OL might have and while it worked with Manning...Luck is a very different style of QB.

Again can't blame them for going for it all. We see too many franchises that are ok with just being mediocre. To win a Super Bowl it does take some guts to make some bold decisions on and off the field. At least Colts fans can know their franchise tried.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad but it's time. Realistically it's irrelevant. Falcons have the best WR in football and a QB that throws a great deep ball yet the team never throws the ball down the field til they're forced to. Some of that is the OL but most if it is shitty scheme. If you have a great HR hitter but you ask him y o bunt 90% of his at bats it is pointless.

Roddy was better than his production imo in part due to conflict with Shanny, but the money was too much...if they take the cap savings and fix at least one or two positions in FA...C, S, OLB/DE/WR2...with a top shelf player...then hit with 17 the fans will move on from Roddy.

Scheme...I'm not a Shanny fan at all...worst of Quinn's hires imo...the same pattern everywhere he goes...starts well, but can't adjust when DCs figure it out....I can't fault him much for the DC stop...that wasn't his OFC, but under pressure to win with a rookie QB they ran what the QB knew. Still, when teams figured RG3 out...it was over...CLE, Hoyer, same thing...ATL Ryan...you saw it....5-0...then.

Falcons are not far off from being back in the playoffs.

OL...sign FA Alex Mack, C...Shanny knows him, pro bowl caliber player, vet to take over the OL...pay him the $10 mil. You got the young OTs fairly cheap, Levitre has another yr in the system, @50 I think you can get the 2nd OG off the board to provide competition for RG.

DL/front7...there are several FA options out there...initially I was on Ervin...still like him, but cost for production may not be that good....is Charles Johnson wanting to come back to GA for one last run. If I land Johnson in FA...in the draft I like Spence, Nkemdiche, Reed, Dodd or Dawson @ 17.

Back 4...Willie Moe was a good player but couldn't stay on the field...I think they need an upgrade...there are some good S prospect in this draft, but not many are considered NFL ready...I would spend 81, if not 50 on S. I would look at a midlevel FA like Taushan Gipson to start next yr.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll be 35 in November. I wonder if he just retires....

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't blame the Colts for trying. They had just come off a year where they got close to the Super Bowl. They made a huge push while Andrew Luck still didn't cost a ton to surround him with a ton of talent. The problem is the Colts FO has shown they struggle in knowing the best way to build a team. They have always focused on getting skill players and neglecting the Trenches on both sides of the ball. They expect the QB to overcome any shortcomings the OL might have and while it worked with Manning...Luck is a very different style of QB.

Again can't blame them for going for it all. We see too many franchises that are ok with just being mediocre. To win a Super Bowl it does take some guts to make some bold decisions on and off the field. At least Colts fans can know their franchise tried.

IND shocked a lot of us...on paper they looked no less than the AFCCG...I wasn't shocked...I knew the DEF wasn't strong enough up the middle and the LB blitzes would eventually get picked up...but I was surprised they were not a lot better.

Agree...can't fault them for trying.

It's not really a secret of how to build a SB caliber team...On DEF you have to be able to effect the QB...you have to hit on the players...especially when you're in the top 10-15 in the draft.

I think a good case study right now is ATL...a team in transition with a franchise QB, and the clock ticking. They have about 4 or 5 yrs left of Matt's prime.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with the first 2 for sure.

The Raiders have some pretty solid WR's but if he came in willing to fight for playing time.....I guess it wouldn't be awful if the price was right. WR depth is key and he could help in limited playing time.