• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Falcons have cut Roddy White

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What team will take a flier at him now?

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What team will take a flier at him now?

I cant imagine any team would. He was one more year away from having to use a walker out there to get around.

I'm surprised they had to cut him and that he didn't retire. That means he is looking for another place to play.

If any team needed a decent WR last year it was the Falcons. They were Julio and nothing else. And White, in a system he knows and a decent QB, couldn't contribute. Can't imagine what he would look like in a new system with a QB he doesn't know.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So that's why the offense was so bad now because there was nothing beside JJ? Exactly if they get him what will L Green do for them? I mean this is a defensive team and asking Ryan to torch a defense on a good offense that gets shut down by Atlanta is a tall order. He's never done such a thing. He just doesn't fit a smash mouth system Atlanta wants.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Logically, this was the right move. But it still hurts. Dude's one of the best, if not the very best, receivers to ever play for the Falcons.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Logically, this was the right move. But it still hurts. Dude's one of the best, if not the very best, receivers to ever play for the Falcons.

What I read was that Quinns system didn't suit him well or include him enough...I find it hard to believe that he's done this quick as good as he's been and no major injuries lurking...
I hope Ozzie gives him a look, he is a play maker and sometimes they just need a new jump start, like D'Mason , Boldin,Smith Sr did......

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not many WRs put up better numbers for a six year span than White did from 2007 through 2012.

Roddy White

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see the Panthers taking a look as well. Cam with a decent WR would be even scarier.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant imagine any team would. He was one more year away from having to use a walker out there to get around.

I'm surprised they had to cut him and that he didn't retire. That means he is looking for another place to play.

If any team needed a decent WR last year it was the Falcons. They were Julio and nothing else. And White, in a system he knows and a decent QB, couldn't contribute. Can't imagine what he would look like in a new system with a QB he doesn't know.
That's not necessarily true. 2015 was the first season with Shanahan as the OC. Ryan struggled quite a bit and basically became a two read QB. White was open more than his numbers indicated because he wasn't seen. Some of that is on the offensive line, some on Ryan, and some on the way the progressions were set up.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt he signs with anyone to start the season. Maybe a mid year sign when a team loses a couple WR's to injury.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

idk about that Ducky. The local slant is Roddy can still play and a clash between Shanny last year put him on the outside looking in.

Nothing but Julio...out the gate, Shanny wanted Hankerson as WR2...a guy they ultimately cut before the season ended...Roddy got almost no targets prior to Hankerson getting cut, and the whole damn OFC revolves around WR1....200+ targets.

Bottom line...Roddy runs good routes, willing blocker, still gets decent separation and catches the ball...he's a possession WR now...really a WR3 getting paid like a WR1.5, you can't do that in the NFL now...he makes sense as a 3rd guy in CAR.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This league is about separation more than anything at this point at the WR position. That is why we are seeing the emergence of the small WR's like never before. If you can't create it, you shouldn't be on the field. And White can't create it. If he lined up for a 40 yard dash at the combine he isn't running a sub 4.7 time. And what is worse is that his bum ankle that never really healed from the looks of it means he isn't quick in and out of his breaks either.

Roddy wasn't overlooked in Atl last year. He just couldn't create separation so Ryan quit looking at him. He was on the field for almost 1000 snaps last year.

If Roddy White is one of you top 3 WR's on your team heading into next season, you have failed as a GM. Especially this offseason where there are plenty of decent WR's available that can be had for cheap, short contracts. If White is fine with coming in and not getting snaps until there are injuries, probably a good get at vet min contract.

But anything more than that and you are signing a guy for what he has done and not what he will do.

Just look at the WR FA class and then add in all the roster spots that are going to go to the 30 some rookies that will be rostered this upcoming season. I just don't see a spot for White in this league as a top 3 WR in this league any longer. He is a 4th or 5th at best (be a good guy to get to teach a young WR corp from the bench) and when you are dealing with that low on the depth chart the contract needs to be for vet min.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not necessarily true. 2015 was the first season with Shanahan as the OC. Ryan struggled quite a bit and basically became a two read QB. White was open more than his numbers indicated because he wasn't seen. Some of that is on the offensive line, some on Ryan, and some on the way the progressions were set up.

Ryan was the exact same last year as he always has been (frustratingly average). The only place where he struggled more than usual was in the red zone and that happened because he had no where to go with the football. Teams took away Julio with doubles and triples down there and there was no one else on the roster that could create separation or win in a jump ball situation.

Name a team that was worse WR 2-5 than the Falcons last year. I can't think of one. Hardy will hopefully take a big step forward this season but Atl can't bank on that. They need to go out and get another quality target for Ryan.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan was the exact same last year as he always has been (frustratingly average). The only place where he struggled more than usual was in the red zone and that happened because he had no where to go with the football. Teams took away Julio with doubles and triples down there and there was no one else on the roster that could create separation or win in a jump ball situation.

Name a team that was worse WR 2-5 than the Falcons last year. I can't think of one. Hardy will hopefully take a big step forward this season but Atl can't bank on that. They need to go out and get another quality target for Ryan.
Ryan was forcing a lot of throws in the redzone. A good portion of his turnovers happened in the RZ because he was either throwing across his body or trying to make a play that wasn't there. It was a pretty rough season for him and I hope he figures out a way to improve his confidence for the 2016 season.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This league is about separation more than anything at this point at the WR position. That is why we are seeing the emergence of the small WR's like never before. If you can't create it, you shouldn't be on the field. And White can't create it. If he lined up for a 40 yard dash at the combine he isn't running a sub 4.7 time. And what is worse is that his bum ankle that never really healed from the looks of it means he isn't quick in and out of his breaks either.

Roddy wasn't overlooked in Atl last year. He just couldn't create separation so Ryan quit looking at him. He was on the field for almost 1000 snaps last year.

If Roddy White is one of you top 3 WR's on your team heading into next season, you have failed as a GM. Especially this offseason where there are plenty of decent WR's available that can be had for cheap, short contracts. If White is fine with coming in and not getting snaps until there are injuries, probably a good get at vet min contract.

But anything more than that and you are signing a guy for what he has done and not what he will do.

Just look at the WR FA class and then add in all the roster spots that are going to go to the 30 some rookies that will be rostered this upcoming season. I just don't see a spot for White in this league as a top 3 WR in this league any longer. He is a 4th or 5th at best (be a good guy to get to teach a young WR corp from the bench) and when you are dealing with that low on the depth chart the contract needs to be for vet min.

I saw every game but one LY and admittedly on TV I'm not following Roddy every play, but a strong percentage of season tickets holders that texted and called in during the afternoon drive segment disagree with that point in bold.

When interviewed early in the season about the lack of targets, Roddy was honest...he said, the way the playbook is drawn up the 1st read is almost always for WR1 and Matt tends to throw it to the 1st read.

If what you said was true, it doesn't explain the increase in Roddy's targets once Hankerson was cut....if Roddy wasn't open before Hankerson and that's why he wasn't getting targets, why would he be open once Hankerson left?

Where I do agree with you is Roddy was over paid for his production.