• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

FA SP Targets

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants will almost certainly get AT LEAST 1 of the big FA SP this off-season.

Taking everything into account (age, contract length, $py, perceived interest in Giants, etc), who should they target and in what order?

Leake
Price
Cueto
Greinke
Zimmermann
Fister
Kazmir
Samardzijia
Other?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the #1 target should be Leake. He is super young, already in the fold, is a California kid, has the smallest name of the bunch (cheapest?) and looking at his splits, just might be the best of the bunch.

I like the idea of Greinke, but he would be walking away from a 3/71 to enter the market and likely coming off a CY season. I can see someone throwing a 10/300 at him. He will also cost a draft pick. No thanks.

Zimmerman is coming off a somewhat disappointing season, so he may be somewhat affordable, and he is almost certainly done in DC. Scrabble is kinda in this class as well, but I have more faith in Zim. Scrabble could be the cheap alternative to Zim. Zim will almost certainly cost a draft pick, Scrabble might cost a pick.

Price will cost a shit-ton, but carries no pick compensation. I fear how many years he has left. Will the monster contract be anywhere close to worth it in the long run?

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For my money/preference.....it's Leake in a landslide.

Reactions: LHG

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants will almost certainly get AT LEAST 1 of the big FA SP this off-season.

Taking everything into account (age, contract length, $py, perceived interest in Giants, etc), who should they target and in what order?

Leake
Price
Cueto
Greinke
Zimmermann
Fister
Kazmir
Samardzijia
Other?

Whelp, I think you can throw out Fister and Shark -- both over 30 and having poor seasons.

Greinke would be the #1 choice, but he'll likely get $200MM so I'd pass.
Price is going to go to the doyers, who will also put up $150MM plus to get him to replace Greinke
Kazmir is risky from a health standpoint, and he's over 30 -- again, I'd pass.

That leaves:
1. Cueto -- depending on price. Probably 6/150...I might pass
2. Leake -- If we can get him for 5/100 or so I think he makes sense.
3. Zimmermann -- similar production to Leake. 5/100 he also makes sense.

We might get both Leake and Zim.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zimmermann is a Boras agent. Not really tempted there. How much better is he than what he have now anyway?

I love Cueto and Price though. I think Leake is a given, so are we adding someone on top of him? I think the Giants might push for it. Can they dump Peavy and Pagan on someone, for a bad contract in return?

Bum/Cueto/Leake/Heston/Cain?

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leake is almost a guarantee. And after that I just don't think these guys will ever play in the 8 year $200 mil deal space for pitchers. It's just not how they do it, since Zito. And they've proven they don't need to. Plus Bum is gonna get paid even more not too long from now.

It's gonna be Bum/Leake/Heston/Peavy/Cain. Is that enough? Depends on if Heston is for real and if Cain can be a solid 4/5 and Peavy a solid 4

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I threw out the idea on another thread (2015 Offseason moves | Page 3 | SportsHoopla Sports Forums) but didn't get much traction, but will say it again - I'm interested in the Orioles' Wei-Yin Chen. He's slowly gotten better in each of the 4 years in the big leagues. He is 30 years old and, given so many bigger names ahead of him in the free agent market, I doubt he will be very expensive. We may be able to sign him for a 2 to 3 year deal for 15 to 18 million per year (really guessing on that though). He's no number 1 but he could slot in just fine behind Bumgarner, Leake and Heston. Plus, being on the west coast may be more attractive since he would be so much closer to home.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leake is almost a guarantee. And after that I just don't think these guys will ever play in the 8 year $200 mil deal space for pitchers. It's just not how they do it, since Zito. And they've proven they don't need to. Plus Bum is gonna get paid even more not too long from now.

It's gonna be Bum/Leake/Heston/Peavy/Cain. Is that enough? Depends on if Heston is for real and if Cain can be a solid 4/5 and Peavy a solid 4

John Lester says "hi."

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the #1 target should be Leake. He is super young, already in the fold, is a California kid, has the smallest name of the bunch (cheapest?) and looking at his splits, just might be the best of the bunch.

I like the idea of Greinke, but he would be walking away from a 3/71 to enter the market and likely coming off a CY season. I can see someone throwing a 10/300 at him. He will also cost a draft pick. No thanks.

Zimmerman is coming off a somewhat disappointing season, so he may be somewhat affordable, and he is almost certainly done in DC. Scrabble is kinda in this class as well, but I have more faith in Zim. Scrabble could be the cheap alternative to Zim. Zim will almost certainly cost a draft pick, Scrabble might cost a pick.

Price will cost a shit-ton, but carries no pick compensation. I fear how many years he has left. Will the monster contract be anywhere close to worth it in the long run?

I swear that the first thing I thought of when I read this was that he had the shortest name so putting it on his uni would be cheaper.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I swear that the first thing I thought of when I read this was that he had the shortest name so putting it on his uni would be cheaper.
Well, as we all know, the front office is super cheap and they pinch every penny...

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nolan, err, Monta, err, whatever you go by nowadays....is that you????
Disgraceful performance tonight by the gutless wonders. Awful front office and coaching staff are to blame.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disgraceful performance tonight by the gutless wonders. Awful front office and coaching staff are to blame.

And the fans too for going in the first place, giving money for the owners to pocket everything. What sheep.

Last edited:

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leake for sure.

What is the board's thoughts on Fister? His numbers are solid and his shit show for a 2015 lends me to believe that we could get him on a short term deal...IIRC he's a ground ball/sinkerball pitcher which would take advantage of our above average infield defense while not putting the onus on velocity which has been the achilles heel of long term contracts for pitchers.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh oh, tz...

Your Nolan-alt is starting to bleed into all your other alts...

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zimmermann is a Boras agent. Not really tempted there. How much better is he than what he have now anyway?

I love Cueto and Price though. I think Leake is a given, so are we adding someone on top of him? I think the Giants might push for it. Can they dump Peavy and Pagan on someone, for a bad contract in return?

Bum/Cueto/Leake/Heston/Cain?
According to Baseball Reference, Zimmermann is represented by Relativity Baseball. However, I do think Zimmermann is going to cost a lot more than Leake. Historically, Zimmermann's numbers have been better so his agents will push that hard, even though Zimmermann is two years older than Leake.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Baseball Reference, Zimmermann is represented by Relativity Baseball. However, I do think Zimmermann is going to cost a lot more than Leake. Historically, Zimmermann's numbers have been better so his agents will push that hard, even though Zimmermann is two years older than Leake.

Thanks. I don't remember where I got that notion, but I guess it changes things a little bit. None of the top free agent pitchers are represented by Boras, so that helps. The Giants aren't usually keen on negotiating with him (one of the reasons they chased Lester harder than Scherzer). Ian Kennedy is a Boras client, but he's not in this tier.