• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Extra Innings Rule

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At some other time in the past, I would be ranting and raving "fucking bullshit, ruining the game" blah blah blah.

I have come to accept that things change.

I grew up on a best of five LCS.

But baseball used to not even have an LCS.

For over 60 years, MLB consisted of 16 teams.

Things change.

I'm sure there are boomers still ranting about wild card teams winning the World Series.

Things change.

I can bitch and gripe about changes that are inevitable or I can say fuck it and enjoy watching baseball.

So I say fuck it.

Play ball!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sucks. But the intent is to diminish taxing bullpens without a minor league system to dip into when needed.

Odds of a runner scoring go up exponentially when on second rather than first with no outs.

I want to see a home team have a fast runner intentionally strike out, for the third out of the inning with no men on. It'd take a Ozzie Smith level speedster/no power guy. Also could see pinch hitters with two outs in the ninth not really make sense from a hitting standpoint.

Do you mean somebody in the bottom of the ninth intentionally striking out so they can get to the 10th with someone on base with the big hitter up to bat? They’d risk the other team capitalizing on the easier run. Win it now if you can. But if you think you just need a double and your home run hitter is next, I could see just waiting.

I am not big on baseball so just checking if I am understanding your logic.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sucks. But the intent is to diminish taxing bullpens without a minor league system to dip into when needed.

Odds of a runner scoring go up exponentially when on second rather than first with no outs.

I want to see a home team have a fast runner intentionally strike out, for the third out of the inning with no men on. It'd take a Ozzie Smith level speedster/no power guy. Also could see pinch hitters with two outs in the ninth not really make sense from a hitting standpoint.
The Oakland A's tried this approach over 40 years ago

Oakland A’s history: Remembering Herb Washington

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it ironic that those crying "just play baseball" are fans of AL teams.

It's a weird, short, compact season, might as well experiment.
I agree with you on this. What do they have to lose? This of all seasons would be an ideal time to experiment. Another experiment they should try is taping an electronic device to a player and using trash cans as a signal.

Yes, I am not going to let this die. It's 11 pm EDT and the Astros are still cheaters

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you mean somebody in the bottom of the ninth intentionally striking out so they can get to the 10th with someone on base with the big hitter up to bat? They’d risk the other team capitalizing on the easier run. Win it now if you can. But if you think you just need a double and your home run hitter is next, I could see just waiting.

I am not big on baseball so just checking if I am understanding your logic.
It'd take a speed guy with no power whatsoever. Ozzie Smith type hitter.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rule is when a game goes in to extra innings, a player is placed on second base to start. The OCD part of me wants the player to be placed on first base for the 10th inning, a player to be placed on second base in the 11th inning, and a player to be placed on third base to start the 12th inning. In the thirteenth, 3rd and 1st. In the fourteenth, on 3rd and 2nd. In the fifteenth, bases loaded.

MLB debuts new extra innings rule: Shohei Ohtani makes history, but A's walk off on grand slam home run
I was initially against the extra innings concept but saw it in action Saturday with the Indians and Royals. Despite the fact the Indians lost, I think I like this.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bullpens suck.
Signed,
Reds Fan

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the time they make the 10th inning, they've probably been boring for over 4 hours with no sign of letting up. Life's too short to watch baseball on TV.
It’s good that they are making new rules to appease people who aren’t watching anyway.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think are just trying out this rule bc of the shortened season. If enough complain about it...it won't last. So lets keep complaining about this extra inning rule.

The most screwed up thing about it is...the pitcher that inherits this ghost at 2nd, well they don't get charged for an earned run if he scores BUT he will get charged for the loss.

So like when CLE lost Saturday. The Royals had a sacrifice bunt then followed with a deep sac fly. The pitcher did not give up a hit or a walk and he was charged with the loss lol.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rule is when a game goes in to extra innings, a player is placed on second base to start. The OCD part of me wants the player to be placed on first base for the 10th inning, a player to be placed on second base in the 11th inning, and a player to be placed on third base to start the 12th inning. In the thirteenth, 3rd and 1st. In the fourteenth, on 3rd and 2nd. In the fifteenth, bases loaded.

MLB debuts new extra innings rule: Shohei Ohtani makes history, but A's walk off on grand slam home run
meh

i dont mind it if it speeds it up a bit.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I thought it was stupid but after being used I really don’t care. It is an experiment this season that I have a feeling will stick like the DH in the NL.

The later makes me laugh because some of these crap NL teams don’t even have 9 major league hitters on their rosters.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,718.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it’s a good time to see how it works out this season with only 60 games. And then see after the season how it worked and maybe go back to the old way. Personally I think they should go back to the old way with no runners on base. There changing the game too much where it’s not the same game we all grew up watching. But I guess you gotta adapt with the times