• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Extra Innings Rule

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rule is when a game goes in to extra innings, a player is placed on second base to start. The OCD part of me wants the player to be placed on first base for the 10th inning, a player to be placed on second base in the 11th inning, and a player to be placed on third base to start the 12th inning. In the thirteenth, 3rd and 1st. In the fourteenth, on 3rd and 2nd. In the fifteenth, bases loaded.

MLB debuts new extra innings rule: Shohei Ohtani makes history, but A's walk off on grand slam home run

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too, just play, but I thought starting on second base was worse.
It sucks. But the intent is to diminish taxing bullpens without a minor league system to dip into when needed.

Odds of a runner scoring go up exponentially when on second rather than first with no outs.

I want to see a home team have a fast runner intentionally strike out, for the third out of the inning with no men on. It'd take a Ozzie Smith level speedster/no power guy. Also could see pinch hitters with two outs in the ninth not really make sense from a hitting standpoint.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh...I have no problem with the new extra innings rule, and so far it seems to be working fine in the few games it's been used.

It adds another degree of intensity and urgency to what sometimes can otherwise become a tedious situation...and besides, I think it's just being used on an experimental trial basis for this shortened season only to see how it works out, but may be put in place a few years down the road after MLB completes their studies on it along with the other rules changes and after getting feedback results.

Hell...honestly I'm just fucking happy to have MLB games back at all at this point.

Last edited:

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling it won't be going away, same with the DH in the NL.

It's been in the minors for a little while now.

A low level Braves pitcher recorded a 2 pitch inning with a lineout double play, and a one pitch out for the next batter.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rule is when a game goes in to extra innings, a player is placed on second base to start. The OCD part of me wants the player to be placed on first base for the 10th inning, a player to be placed on second base in the 11th inning, and a player to be placed on third base to start the 12th inning. In the thirteenth, 3rd and 1st. In the fourteenth, on 3rd and 2nd. In the fifteenth, bases loaded.

MLB debuts new extra innings rule: Shohei Ohtani makes history, but A's walk off on grand slam home run
By the time they make the 10th inning, they've probably been boring for over 4 hours with no sign of letting up. Life's too short to watch baseball on TV.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the time they make the 10th inning, they've probably been boring for over 4 hours with no sign of letting up. Life's too short to watch baseball on TV.

Thyen why are you posting on the MLB forum. I think basketball is the dumbest thing in the world. I don't post on the NBA board.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thyen why are you posting on the MLB forum. I think basketball is the dumbest thing in the world. I don't post on the NBA board.
I played baseball for 25 years in the corporate beer leagues. It's an amazing sport to play. Watching it on TV, not so much. MLB has to find a way to shorten the game in order to generate new fan interest. Prior to China flu, the seats were empty for a reason.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I played baseball for 25 years in the corporate beer leagues. It's an amazing sport to play. Watching it on TV, not so much. MLB has to find a way to shorten the game in order to generate new fan interest. Prior to China flu, the seats were empty for a reason.

I just don't understand the reason why anyone would post on a board dedicated to a sport they don't follow. Seems like attention seeking behavior to me.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't understand the reason why anyone would post on a board dedicated to a sport they don't follow. Seems like attention seeking behavior to me.
Well, to be fair, the subject of the thread is ways to speed up the game which is agonizingly slow and losing fan interest:

QUOTE: On Friday night, Major League Baseball's new extra innings rule was used for the first time in the sport's history as the A's and Angels needed more than nine innings to settle their Opening Day affair. MLB implemented the rule, which puts a runner at second base to start each extra half-inning, to help speed the game along this season. UNQUOTE.

My interest would increase if they got a handle on this so my comment seems to be on point.

Go Expos.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, to be fair, the subject of the thread is ways to speed up the game which is agonizingly slow and losing fan interest:

QUOTE: On Friday night, Major League Baseball's new extra innings rule was used for the first time in the sport's history as the A's and Angels needed more than nine innings to settle their Opening Day affair. MLB implemented the rule, which puts a runner at second base to start each extra half-inning, to help speed the game along this season. UNQUOTE.

My interest would increase if they got a handle on this so my comment seems to be on point.

Go Expos.

Nah, you're trashing a sport you don't like on that sport's board. Stay in your lane.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, you're trashing a sport you don't like on that sport's board. Stay in your lane.

Fixed.

tOKh1Lk.gif

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In hockey, the foolish commissioner Bettman has fucked up overtime with the stupid shootouts instead of just playing hockey until someone scores.

This looks like an attempt to do the same to baseball.

If they're worried about how long the games are, reduce the number of commercials and tell the players to stop strutting and posturing between every goddamn pitch.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it ironic that those crying "just play baseball" are fans of AL teams.

It's a weird, short, compact season, might as well experiment.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Go Expos.

Two very key words.