• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN investigates Maryland football program.

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If everything in that report is true, Maryland athletics ought to be shut down and prosecuted as a Racketeering Influenced Corrupt Organization (RICO)

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The sad saga continues. Since Len Bias, Maryland has been the worst administration in all of college athletics.
They are still the worst today, and its not close.

They were the only Power 5 school who left entirely for money.
Everyone else had cultural fits, league stability, academics, or other legitimate reasons.
Md was a 75 year charter member of a stable prestigious league with great rivals, money, and academics.

But, Maryland totally fucked everything up so bad financially, they were forced to prostitute themselves.
The Big 10 was smart, they bent Md over.

Those same people survived their own stupidity and incompetence, while spinning a TALL TALE about Big 10 greatness solving everything. Four years later, the finances are worse. The premier programs are in shambles. Rivalries dont exist in front of half empty arenas.

And they will now likely survive student deaths in a physically unsafe toxic environment.
Throw Durkin under the bus, and they will stay employed forever.

OK I have read enough Maryland slamming, time for my response. You sound like a bitter Longhorn fan still bitter that we bitch slapped you in your home opener.

This story is very very troubling. A kid died, if they were responsible that's very very serious. But let's wait for the entire story to surface.

As for this shit show of a post I'll respond as well.

MD left the ACC, where they were always the red headed step kid to the North Carolina schools, because the BIG made a tremendous offer to join the league and realize huge financial gains. Why on Earth is that a bad decision? Leave a league where the ACC tournament is in North Carolina virtually every year to go to a league where you make a shit load more money was a smart move, to trash that decision as you did is stupid.

Their "premier programs" consist of basketball and football. They have never been and never will be a football school however the basketball program finished 2nd 2nd and 3rd in their first 3 years in the BIG, making the NCAA each year. Only an idiot would describe that as being "in shambles" and your claim that they are playing in half empty arenas shows us you don't know what the Hell you are talking about.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If everything in that report is true, Maryland athletics ought to be shut down and prosecuted as a Racketeering Influenced Corrupt Organization (RICO)

Seemed pretty limited to the football program. Why should the entire athletic department be abolished?

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seemed pretty limited to the football program. Why should the entire athletic department be abolished?

Football specific penalties would come from the NCAA or from the school itself.

My point was that RICO crimes seem to have been committed, and that the situation could be prosecuted. Given the interconnectedness of a university athletic department, I'm not sure that you could prosecute a distinct group smaller than the athletics department.

It won't happen if course, because it would be a bad political move. But if it did, the school could respond by cutting football to try to insulate the rest of the athletic department

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Football specific penalties would come from the NCAA or from the school itself.

My point was that RICO crimes seem to have been committed, and that the situation could be prosecuted. Given the interconnectedness of a university athletic department, I'm not sure that you could prosecute a distinct group smaller than the athletics department.

It won't happen if course, because it would be a bad political move. But if it did, the school could respond by cutting football to try to insulate the rest of the athletic department

Sounds like you are throwing the baby out with the bath water. The AD is new, the lacrosse, basketball or any of the other teams appears to have nothing to do with this situation so why should they be punished by being shut down as you suggested?

Do not confuse my position with defending the football program, again if the allegations are correct. A kid died and he may not have received the proper treatment. That is unforgivable and people should pay the price for that. But that does not mean innocents should pay a big price too.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK I have read enough Maryland slamming, time for my response. You sound like a bitter Longhorn fan still bitter that we bitch slapped you in your home opener.

This story is very very troubling. A kid died, if they were responsible that's very very serious. But let's wait for the entire story to surface.

MD left the ACC, where they were always the red headed step kid to the North Carolina schools, because the BIG made a tremendous offer to join the league and realize huge financial gains. Why on Earth is that a bad decision? Leave a league where the ACC tournament is in North Carolina virtually every year to go to a league where you make a shit load more money was a smart move, to trash that decision as you did is stupid.

Their "premier programs" consist of basketball and football. They have never been and never will be a football school however the basketball program finished 2nd 2nd and 3rd in their first 3 years in the BIG, making the NCAA each year. Only an idiot would describe that as being "in shambles" and your claim that they are playing in half empty arenas shows us you don't know what the Hell you are talking about.

That dude is a Maryland fan as much as a Longhorn fan. He lives there if I remember correctly and I think he even said he use to give to the University.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That dude is a Maryland fan as much as a Longhorn fan. He lives there if I remember correctly and I think he even said he use to give to the University.

Then he should post more accurate information. Claiming the athletic department, which includes the National Champs in lacrosse and a basketball program that is doing OK playing in a packed arena, is in shambles and playing in front of a half filled arena is flat wrong. Seems he is comletely unaware that the Athletic Director is new, hired a few months ago. So there's that.

I'm no apologist like we saw with many Penn State fans. That behavior was disgusting. If this happened at my school there should be a huge price to pay by the guilty parties. But I'm not letting posters get away with posting bullshit about the entire athletic department.

Last edited:

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then he should post more accurate information. Claiming the athletic department, which includes the National Champs in lacrosse and a basketball program that is doing OK playing in a packed arena, is in shambles is simply wrong.

I'm no apologist like we saw with many Penn State fans. That behavior was disgusting. If this happened at my school there should be a huge price to pay by the guilty parties. But I'm not letting posters get away with posting bullshit about the entire athletic department.

He is just throwing shade because he never got over the Big 10 move. He was very outspoken about it and claims he stopped donating. I'm just giving you some context to his comments. I've been posting with him for ever a decade. He likes the hyperbole, but he isn't a Maryland hater or Texas homer (well at least when it comes to Maryland:D).

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is just throwing shade because he never got over the Big 10 move. He was very outspoken about it and claims he stopped donating. I'm just giving you some context to his comments. I've been posting with him for ever a decade. He likes the hyperbole, but he isn't a Maryland hater or Texas homer (well at least when it comes to Maryland:D).

I kinda figured that was the case. He's entitled to his opinion but when he is wrong he will be called out on it. The basketball team was 7th in the nation in home attendance in '17 and made the dance 3 of the last 4 years. To say that program is in shambles is idiotic.

While he was correct that the athletic department was a mess financially that does not mean the move to the BIG was a bad move. Most MD people understood the reason and are happy about the move, it was a no-brainer from a financial perspective and that would have been the case even without the big defecate. Personally after being upset originally at the news I now understand how good it was for the program.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All lies — OSU is trying to get the heat off themselves by making up lies and going after a former UM coach. Damn you Urban Meyer!!!!!!

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, can we kick Maryland out of the B1G for this? I think Rutgers is doing something shady too!!! Give them the boot as well!

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think he was talking about Maryland's sports programs, rather the athletic administration. Which he is definitely correct, the people in charge over the past decade ran a horrible athletic department. Maryland was basically forced to join the B1G because they were in massive amounts of debt. I know a ton of Maryland fans that were pissed at the time, and still are. And I don't think he's wrong about the lack of attendance either, half empty was probably a bit strong, but the fanbase hasn't been there either, in both sports.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he was talking about Maryland's sports programs, rather the athletic administration. Which he is definitely correct, the people in charge over the past decade ran a horrible athletic department. Maryland was basically forced to join the B1G because they were in massive amounts of debt. I know a ton of Maryland fans that were pissed at the time, and still are. And I don't think he's wrong about the lack of attendance either, half empty was probably a bit strong, but the fanbase hasn't been there either, in both sports.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the admins and the previous group did put them in a terrible financial spot. However he very clearly said the major programs were in shambles and playing in front of half empty arenas. Lacrosse is big here in the east and Maryland is the defending National Champion. The basketball team was 6th in the nation in basketball attendance, averaging 16,628 in an arena that hold 17,950. This represents the first time they have drawn over 16,500 in consecutive seasons since 2010 so if anything the move to the BIG in 2014 increased attendance. A program that made the dance 3 straight years until last season is hardly in shambles. If he follows MD sports as was posted he should know this. Instead he posts false info because he's still butt hurt over a move that ended up being very good for the school.

Maryland had the nation’s 7th-largest average attendance in 2016-17

Last edited:

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, can we kick Maryland out of the B1G for this? I think Rutgers is doing something shady too!!! Give them the boot as well!

You wanted us for the TV market which increased revenues for all the schools. So far the basketball team has held it's end of the bargain while the football team remains where they always have been, shitty. So The Big Ten got exactly what they wanted when then invited Maryland to join.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You wanted us for the TV market which increased revenues for all the schools. So far the basketball team has held it's end of the bargain while the football team remains where they always have been, shitty. So The Big Ten got exactly what they wanted when then invited Maryland to join.
I mean, does Maryland really add much to the TV market? It’s not like you are Rutgers with NY/NJ.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just joking. I know exactly why we added the schools.
Honestly I have no issue with Maryland. Rutgers though is a disaster.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I'm not a fan of the admins and the previous group did put them in a terrible financial spot. However he very clearly said the major programs were in shambles and playing in front of half empty arenas. Lacrosse is big here in the east and Maryland is the defending National Champion. The basketball team was 6th in the nation in basketball attendance, averaging 16,628 in an arena that hold 17,950. This represents the first time they have drawn over 16,500 in consecutive seasons since 2010 so if anything the move to the BIG in 2014 increased attendance. A program that made the dance 3 straight years until last season is hardly in shambles. If he follows MD sports as was posted he should know this. Instead he posts false info because he's still butt hurt over a move that ended up being very good for the school.

Maryland had the nation’s 7th-largest average attendance in 2016-17

I also think it has to do with them being good, relatively speaking, in 15/16 and 16/17, to what they were prior to entering into the B1G. Moving to the B1G had nothing to do with their attendance spike. And sure, the move was good, because it was the only move. If they weren't strapped for money, they wouldn't have made it IMO.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think it has to do with them being good, relatively speaking, in 15/16 and 16/17, to what they were prior to entering into the B1G. Moving to the B1G had nothing to do with their attendance spike. And sure, the move was good, because it was the only move. If they weren't strapped for money, they wouldn't have made it IMO.

Doesn't change the fact that you were both wrong when you claimed the fan base was not there for basketball and they were playing to half empty arenas as @Hornsstampede2.0 had claimed.

And you don't know that they would not have made the move had they not been strapped for money. Any school regardless of their financial situation would have been crazy not to accept or at least strongly consider a deal that gave them such a huge financial windfall. There have been plenty of schools who changed leagues and it's not because they had to, it's because it was too good of a deal to pass up.