• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN Insider Offseason Priorities: Pittsburgh Steelers

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pittsburgh Steelers are likely to extend franchise quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's contract this offseason, but that's enough of a sure thing that it doesn't even make our list of the Steelers' top offseason priorities.

Instead, most of the team's focus this offseason needs to be on improving its defense, which struggled mightily this season. Following the Steelers' home loss to the Baltimore Ravens in the first round of the playoffs, here is a look at what they need to take care of this offseason:

1. Use a premium draft pick on a cornerback

Pittsburgh uses a mid-round draft pick on a corner in almost every draft. Sometimes it works out and the player develops in the Steelers' system, and sometimes it doesn't. This approach has worked very well for years, but Pittsburgh is so weak at this position right now and the NFL has evolved into such a passing league that the Steelers need to break with past habits and take a top-level talent at cornerback early in the draft.

Ike Taylor and Brice McCain are free agents. Taylor's best days are well behind him, but McCain was a nice bargain and the Steelers should look to sign him to a similar deal for depth.

2. Make decisions at outside linebacker

For years, the Steelers' outside linebackers have been outstanding pass-rushers. That isn't the case anymore, and they have some difficult decisions to make here. Jarvis Jones should be further along in his development than he is. The rest of the players in this group -- Jason Worilds, James Harrison and Arthur Moats -- are all free agents.

Worilds won't be cheap, and based on the Steelers' past behavior in free agency, it wouldn't be surprising if they let him walk, but there won't be a surplus of edge rushers in the draft or free agency this season. They might have no choice but to pay him. Harrison could again be a key contributor in a limited role, but he'll likely want a bump in pay after an impressive 2014. Moats is a very good depth player and special-teamer and should return.

Even if all three return, there isn't an elite edge rusher in this group. It might be hard to change that heading into 2015.

3. Find a backup for Bell

The Steelers cut ties with LeGarrette Blount late in the season, leaving the depth chart thin behind star running back Le'Veon Bell, whose injury in Week 17 represented the worst-case scenario. Rookie Dri Archer did nothing in his first season, and he's more of a specialty back anyway. They should use a mid-round pick on a running back for insurance in case of another Bell injury and to help lighten his workload a bit next season.

4. Upgrade at safety -- which could involve cutting Polamalu

Troy Polamalu's best days are behind him, and he is expensive. The Steelers would ideally keep him if they can get him to renegotiate his contract, but if not, he could become a cap casualty. Fellow safety Mike Mitchell would be better suited in Polamalu's playmaking role anyway, then the team could add a rangy center-field type in the draft or in free agency.

Offseason fixes for the Pittsburgh Steelers -- NFL - ESPN
By Matt Williamson

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. They will resign McCain for cheap. But they still need to draft one. I don't see them going for one in the 1st round though, unless the guy they REALLY want is there. I predict a 2nd rounder and another mid-rounder (possibly 4th or 5th). I'm more curious what they decide to do with Cortez. Signing him to a $26mil contract and then demoting him to the point of tossing him on IR just to create a roster spot has him in the crosshairs. I believe his problem is mainly a confidence issue. He wasn't bad, but he put himself in vulnerable position by giving too much of a cushion. I hope he finds that confidence and reassures his "investors".

2. JJ.. Claiming that he "should be further along in his development" is ludacris. He made great strides this offseason and it was showing during his first couple games this season. He had a wrist injury that kept him out all season and he couldn't find a niche after he got healthy because Harrison was playing at a high level. So Lebeau used them both in a rotation which is hard for any player to gain confidence. Worilds will be relatively cheap in comparison to other OLBs on the market. Obviously Justin Houston is the top dog. Worilds will probably get resigned in PIT for around $25mil. I'd still like to see them add a stud in the draft. If they add someone in the draft at OLB, then it likely won't be a plug & play prospect, however that does depend on Worilds' status. Moats can be resigned as well for cheap (2-3 yr contract).

3. Not a lot of love has been given to Josh Harris from an outsider perspective. But trust me when i say this, Harris CAN be that guy. Bell has established himself as a workhorse so no matter what, the backup isn't going to get many table scraps. The way I would describe Harris' backup role is to that of Ben Tate when he was behind Foster. He has the ability, but he is still young and needs more time to develop. He was on the PS for the majority of the season, so its understandable that he wasn't blowing the lid off when he played. Dri Archer... Hard to say what I see happening with him. But the fact that he was demoted from ST-Return duties & a healthy scratch for a portion of the year only adds to the idea that he was a wasted draft pick and/or a bust. It's a shame because he has talent, but not sure it fits.

4. Not sure I agree with upgrading @ safety by adding someone. They have Shamarko Thomas who is more than capable of filling either safety position. Hell I still believe he will be an upgrade over either Mitchell or Polamalu. But they will need to consider adding depth, whether that be through FA or the draft. Golden & Allen are FA's, and Polamalu could be a cap casualty. His high cap number, combined with decline in play makes him a target. He is reportedly considering retirement and not letting the decision land on the coaches. So we shall see... I stated this in another thread, but if anyone recalls the transition from Chris Hope to Ryan Clark back in '06 wasn't smooth either. People doubted that Clark could handle the job and they drafted a S the following season to prove that. But Clark made a lot of progress and became a stalwart within the defense. Mitchell has a likeness to Hope & Clark in that he is a hard nosed hitter, so i believe another offseason within the system will give him more confidence. Hate to bring this up, but Mitchell also underwent surgery on a torn groin which he claimed he played through all season. No it definitely didn't have much to do with the majority of issues he had (penalties, out of position, missed tackles, etc), but you could see he struggled to cover in man-coverage which could be an indication that he was dogged by an injury. Hard to say, but food for thought.

Last edited by a moderator:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we can just use this thread as a base for the offseason comments.

ESPN

1. CB...picking 22, it's doubtful we're going to get a plug n play guy...I like PJ Williams from FSU and he might be on the board...he has the size and speed you want in the modern day CB...also some swag.

2. OLB...no Worilds won't come cheap, but far less than his $9.4 mil cap hit this season playing under the franchise tag...a 4 or 5 yr deal in the high $20mil to low $30 mil range is what I would expect. I don't see him getting a $40 mil offer. JJ is never going to be James Harrison, but he looks like he can be comparable to Worilds... a 6 to 8 sack per yr guy...a kid I would love to draft to develop, but he's a top 10 pick imo...Dante Fowler, FL...he has an NFL ready body to play the position and I like his game...a lessor prospect, but a kid that has great potential...another UGA product...Jordan Jenkins.

3. Backup RB...I agree with Face here...small sample, but Harris can easily handle that role. I wouldn't mind keeping Tate, but I can see him getting a larger role on another team.

4. S...well, I'm kind in agreement with the ESPN writer here...the fact that Will Allen was the choice over Shark when Troy was out was alarming to me...Thomas would get the chance in camp to start, but I would need another body there as insurance. I would take Landon Collins, AL @ 22 if he fell but there are 2 or 3 guys I would pick later in the draft.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard for me to buy Jarvis was anything but terrible this year, 3 sacks in 21 career games, for a guy who played 3-4 OLB in college is unacceptable, injuries, rotations, etc or not. He's not young either, he's already 25, and will be 26 by next October. I'd like to think he could get 6-9 sacks, but there is really no evidence of that.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard for me to buy Jarvis was anything but terrible this year, 3 sacks in 21 career games, for a guy who played 3-4 OLB in college is unacceptable, injuries, rotations, etc or not. He's not young either, he's already 25, and will be 26 by next October. I'd like to think he could get 6-9 sacks, but there is really no evidence of that.

I'm a JJ guy and it's hard for me to push back on that...the #s are on your side, but we own this pick...I'm all for taking another guy, even with the 1st pick, but this guy most likely going to play out his rookie deal.

I will say...UGA has another kid Jenkins...imo a better prospect than Jones, athletic, faster, more upside.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think JJ was terrible before the injury but he he wasn't living up to 1st round expectations either as the numbers show. I've pointed this out on another thread but the running play he lost outside contain on late in the 4th quarter of the playoff game has me worried he regressed while he was out hurt. Maybe we're wrong and another offseason and another year under Joey turns him into the stud or at least solid starter you expect from a 1st round pick. We'll see!!!

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought JJ was a great pick at the time, just hasn't worked out. Whether he has been poorly coached, or is not developing himself, or both I don't know. Just one of those things. I am holding out hope, and they are so thin they have to play him to figure out what they have, so I think we find out next season who he really is no matter what.

I'd like to see them go the route of 4-3 DE. Maybe an older guy who already knows how to pass rush and can come in and transition to 3-4 OLB.

I've never seen Jenkins plays, I'll take your word on him. They need to do something to get a pass rush going.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought JJ was a great pick at the time, just hasn't worked out. Whether he has been poorly coached, or is not developing himself, or both I don't know. Just one of those things. I am holding out hope, and they are so thin they have to play him to figure out what they have, so I think we find out next season who he really is no matter what.

I'd like to see them go the route of 4-3 DE. Maybe an older guy who already knows how to pass rush and can come in and transition to 3-4 OLB.

I've never seen Jenkins plays, I'll take your word on him. They need to do something to get a pass rush going.

JJ...I was happy with the pick as well. I would like to have seen him play out the season healthy to have a real measuring stick, but the reality is so far he's been a disappointment.

The 2 LBs I wanted from that draft...1. Martavis Mingo from LSU, he's way more athletic than Jones (but he hasn't done much in CLE either)...2. Alec Ogletree, UGA (although he was an ILB I loved his speed and ability to hit)...he had character issues and dropped to late 1st rd. I think he's done pretty well
with the Rams.

Jenkins...he can play at 260+, has more than a bull rush. Dante Fowler, from FL I think could play right away but if he runs a good time at the combine, he won't be on the board @ 22.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing about JJ that really worries me is his age, at 26 in 2015 I don't see much upside there.

I remember Ogletree at UGA, I don't think I was posting on this board then, but I was a Matt Elam guy that year, who has been ok with Balt.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JJ...not so much his age, but what does concern me and I guess it's in the same vein...physically I think JJ is what he's going to be. Maybe he can get a little stronger, add a little more bulk, but I don't think we're going to see any leaps in his physical makeup...I don't see him ever playing effectively at 260...maybe 250. What I thought Porter was going to bring was better technique, more moves, and he's really using the same bull rush he was so effective with in college.

He was a great CFB player, but like most OLBs at that level...you're facing a starting NFL caliber OT maybe 3 or 4 times a season even in the SEC.

I think he can/will be a 6+ sack guy, but I don't see him being a 10+ guy...on that level Tomlin/Colbert just missed.

Yeah...Face and I were on the ESPN board that draft year I think.