• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eric Fisher signs Contract extension

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
F Grade.

I rarely give out an F grade, but I am blown away by this signing. Eric Fisher was one of the worst left tackles in the league over the last couple years so I have no idea why the Chiefs felt the need to give him $40M guaranteed. I get he's a #1 overall pick but admitting you made a mistake during a draft is far better than trying to justify the pick with a ridiculous contract like this one.

My only thought is Fisher has nude pictures of John Dorsey and blackmailed him into this contract.
Fisher has also improved every year. Going from Greg Robinson bad, to bad, to slightly below average.

Its a leap of faith but you aren't beating Denver and Oakland on a regular basis without investing in OTs and the OT market is really bad moving forward.

Going into footballoutsiders stats, KC's adjusted line yards NFL rank from left to right were: 5, 1, 2, 30, 28.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fisher has also improved every year. Going from Greg Robinson bad, to bad, to slightly below average.

Its a leap of faith but you aren't beating Denver and Oakland on a regular basis without investing in OTs and the OT market is really bad moving forward.

Going into footballoutsiders stats, KC's adjusted line yards NFL rank from left to right were: 5, 1, 2, 30, 28.

It was/is a bit of a risky contract with his bad play and injury history. At the same time like you said the market is so bare these days that even an average guy will get pretty darn good money. The changes in the college game to such a spread system, lack of coaching from the high school through the college age on proper technique, and then the killer of it all the CBA limiting contact practices and the number of practices making it that much harder to train these guys up. OL play in my opinion has never been worse than what we have today in the NFL. So I don't blame the Chiefs one bit for making this kind of decision. Still it is a risk for a guy that hasn't proven much at all so far in his career. We've seen much worse contracts get handed out though.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was/is a bit of a risky contract with his bad play and injury history. At the same time like you said the market is so bare these days that even an average guy will get pretty darn good money. The changes in the college game to such a spread system, lack of coaching from the high school through the college age on proper technique, and then the killer of it all the CBA limiting contact practices and the number of practices making it that much harder to train these guys up. OL play in my opinion has never been worse than what we have today in the NFL. So I don't blame the Chiefs one bit for making this kind of decision. Still it is a risk for a guy that hasn't proven much at all so far in his career. We've seen much worse contracts get handed out though.
It looks like a bad contract imo but its also the state of the NFL. I also wonder if some of the pressures Fisher gives up is a result of competition and Alex Smith holding onto the ball and/or not having anyone to pass to or QB limitations on throwing deep.

I think there is a certain philosophy that if you believe in your coaching and drafting process and a guy keeps improving then you keep him in the system. Its more a baseball thing, though. Football..average career is like 3 1/2 years or something smaller but the Chiefs offense really wasnt all that bad last year and their running game certainly wasn't bad so maybe they are just trying to keep the ship going and hope the young guys get better.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like a bad contract imo but its also the state of the NFL. I also wonder if some of the pressures Fisher gives up is a result of competition and Alex Smith holding onto the ball and/or not having anyone to pass to or QB limitations on throwing deep.

I think there is a certain philosophy that if you believe in your coaching and drafting process and a guy keeps improving then you keep him in the system. Its more a baseball thing, though. Football..average career is like 3 1/2 years or something smaller but the Chiefs offense really wasnt all that bad last year and their running game certainly wasn't bad so maybe they are just trying to keep the ship going and hope the young guys get better.

True...haven't looked at Smith's time from snap to throw as that does make a huge difference. Manning made his OL players look much better throughout his career because of how quickly he got rid of the football. Then you throw in any time you have a QB that can take off running at any time it makes life very difficult for an OL player to just not always know where the QB is going to be and where they should be trying to funnel their guy.
Also like you said the Chiefs run game even without Charles was dynamic last year. So even if Fisher is not the best pass blocking LT he has shown well in the run blocking department. This will be a big year for Fisher though to show that they didn't put money into a bad investment. He needs to play most of the year and show that his learning curve hasn't plateaued.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Left tackle: Eric Fisher, Kansas City Chiefs, 82.0

Don’t look now, but Fisher is quietly becoming a pretty good left tackle. He allowed just three total pressures in his 71 snaps versus the Chargers, and graded well against the run and on screens into the bargain.

Highest graded LT in the league if you believe Sam Monson of PFF I guess. Spiteful bump is spiteful.