• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Emails are getting returned

SDPaddlefish

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,390.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a friend that that sends out many emails each day to a large number of people. He's not at all tech savvy and uses aol as he has for many years. He hasn't made any change to any aspect of his emails that he is aware of.

However, many, if not most of his emails now get returned. The return message is that delivery failed and won't be tried again. This doesn't occur with every email now, but most. Some get through to me, but most don't don't. But it isn't just me, it's most people that he sends emails to.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a friend that that sends out many emails each day to a large number of people. He's not at all tech savvy and uses aol as he has for many years. He hasn't made any change to any aspect of his emails that he is aware of.

However, many, if not most of his emails now get returned. The return message is that delivery failed and won't be tried again. This doesn't occur with every email now, but most. Some get through to me, but most don't don't. But it isn't just me, it's most people that he sends emails to.

Sounds like maybe he is being flagged as a spammer

SDPaddlefish

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,390.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like maybe he is being flagged as a spammer

That's what I thought, but I identified him as non-spam in my email filters to no avail.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No expert, but it sounds like his Email account was compromised and put on a black list.

"Check the various blacklists for your email address and your ISP (internet service provider) mail server IP address. If you or your ISP is on a blacklist or several of them, you can submit a dispute claim according to each organizations process to remove the block."

I would just open a new account with Gmail or Outlook myself.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What mail service is he using? Does he have his own mail server, gmail, comcast, etc?

It's easy to end up on blacklists these days, however most tools for looking up your status require your email servers IP. I've had to take a few exchange servers off of those lists.

Normally if you are going through an internet email service like gmail or the like they will send you a message about your status.

The problem is most returned emails will say why they were returned. It isn't uniformed as the message is created by the receiving server and they don't all give a message, but at least some should give a clue. If none of them are saying returned due to blacklisting then it is also possible there is just a simple DNS problem somewhere in the chain. If he is hosing his own mail then try a different DNS server for your domain. If he is using an internet service try opening a ticket with them about it.